1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kids' Questions..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by midwestgirl89, Nov 13, 2011.

1. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have kids asked you questions about boyfriends/girlfriends and you don't know what to say? My cousins (girl cousins) are 5, 10, and 12. They keep asking me "Do you have a boyfriend?" and "Who do you like?" They always talk about boyfriends, boys, etc.

Today we were at a restaurant and there was an attractive male waiter. My 10 year old cousin said "Oooooh you like him, don't you?" The waiter was standing nearby but was turned around. I doubt he heard. I was like "...No *laughs awkwardly* do youuuu?" She then turns around later and says "He's looking at you because he likes you."

Then my 5 year old cousin twirled my hair and said "He's (the waiter) going to think you're beeeaauuutifull." I didn't know what to say.

My 12 year old cousin often asks if I have a boyfriend. And why don't I have a boyfriend.

I'm not out to my family so I don't know what to say. It's super awkward lol to be asked questions about guys when I don't like them. I'll never have a boyfriend so I'm like... sorry kiddos.

Do you all have this happen to you? What do you say? lolz. Kids are so silly and ask such intrusive questions.

2. Aeon Magus

Hello, Midwestgirl.

I came out several years ago to family that I felt needed to know. All my cousins know... one of which was 8 at the time. She understands completely what my "deal" is in regards to what gender I prefer to have as a partner. Although, on the down side, she has started calling me AUNTIE Alex ever since then. :tears:

If you feel your cousins need to know, you could either always say "No, I don't like him" to their suggestions of boyfriends and whatnot, or you could break it to them gently in a way they'll understand (of course, you'll probably need their parents' consent, some people don't like having their kids "influenced"... Meh).

Good luck. :smilewave

3. This is always an awkward situation...

My suggestion is that you keep dodging it like you're doing now--until you come out to your family.

Other than that, I'm drawing a blank--the same blank I was drawing before I was fully out.

4. Danny19

oh yea.. i get that a lot.. my cousins always want to know about gfs and who i like. but i dont answer or i just say no one.

5. Rooni321

Well my sister will storm out of the room if I mention getting a gf or wife(especially when I'm referring to Sara Quin). Lol!
    Does that count?

6. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Does your sister want to marry her so she gets jealous or does she not like you wanting to marry girls? lol.

7. caughtbywitness

It's just awkward, can't really get round it unfortunately.

8. Drowzee64

Out of all the intrusive things my many little cousins ask me, surprisingly I don't remember them ever asking if I liked a girl.

Family members and family friends ages 40 and up tend to ask me if I have a girlfriend A LOT, though. I remember my Memaw (southern speak for grandma :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) once asked my dad if I was into the girls yet, and he said no, and she said "They always come around!". It made me feel uncomfortable but it's funny in hindsight.

9. Rinto

Rinto Guest

My cousins are always like that. Fortunately, I can say something. The only thing is that they get too invasive sometimes.