1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GayJay, Nov 14, 2011.

1. GayJay

GayJay Guest

Hello people :slight_smile:

I am going to pride next year for the first time with my girlfriend.
    I just wanted to ask for peoples experiences from the first time they went to Pride :slight_smile:

~GayJay

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC!

Pride events seem to vary from place to place. Here in Denver, for instance, it takes place mainly in a huge area just south of downtown. It's the same place where something called "People's Fair" takes place, which is just a bunch of booths selling stuff, local businesses hawking food, and several stages with bands playing. One nickname for People's Fair? "Straight Pride". Not because it's anti-gay or anything, but because it just looks like the Gay Pride festival with any and all references to gay removed. :slight_smile:

So you might think of it going the other way. Imagine a standard "street fair". Now add gay aspects. People in rainbow clothing or anti-hate T-shirts. Gay couples holding hands and (occasionally) kissing. Booths with a more gay slant. (Most of the booths with a political leaning are for things like gay marriage, for instance.) A couple drag queens and "dykes on bikes". More gay-type bands playing. Here in Denver, that's about it. :slight_smile:

We have a parade at the outset of the festival. And yes, there are scantily-clad men and women in it, and drag queens, and whatnot. But we also have local (straight) politicians, churches (lots of these, oddly enough), gay volunteer groups, social clubs (gay tennis groups, swimming clubs, camping, etc), floats from bars both gay-oriented and generic, and corporate sponsors. The only thing I dislike about it is the people who walk along the sidewalk of the parade selling rainbow beads and plastic bracelets for $8, under the pretense of "showing your pride". I don't need your 1600% markup products to display my pride, thank you, but such is the price of living in a free-market economy. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey!! I hope you and your girlfriend have lots of fun. : )

My first pride was in New York City. I was visiting there because my mom needed surgery. I went alone and just watched part of the parade. I walked into Greenwich Village and rainbow flags were everywhere. Guys in no shirts were riding on floats, couples were holding hands and kissing, and everyone was really happy. It was definitely different and colorful.

I met a bi-sexual guy friend from the Netherlands randomly. He was fun to talk to. I didn't come out to him but it was cool having a friend from the LGBT community.

My first pride was awesome and overwhelming. I had never seen so many gay people. I didn't feel connected at that time because I was so in the closet. I bought a rainbow bracelet and wore it on the subway but was self conscious. However my fourth time visiting pride was invigorating and I felt somewhat more connected to the community. All of my other times visiting pride I went alone. I went this time with friends. Next year I'm sure it'll be better because I'll be more okay with being gay.

You'll have lots of fun and make sure to buy something with a rainbow on it if you want!! Be proud to be gay because this is the one place where you're celebrating being you. Yay! Also, hold your gf's hand and just have fun. You can relax there for sure.

4. GayJay

GayJay Guest

@midwestgirl89

Thankyou for replying :slight_smile:

I'm kind of scared to go because i am fresh out the closet but you sharing your experience with me has helped :icon_bigg

Thanks again (*hug*)

~GayJay

ps- my gf just told be my punctuation sucked sorry :slight_smile:

#4 GayJay, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2011
  5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Was the most amazing experience of my life, especially that I got to march in it :slight_smile:

6. Jessica816

I went to my very first pride this year, and for me it was amazing! I was fresh out of the closet and was more then ready to get out in the gay community. It was such an amazing feeling to be out and around so many people who were like me. I bought the rainbow beads and bracelets, and even a shot glass that said "super gay" I was so the cliche but it was my very first pride and had an amazing time! I went with Mu bestfriend who is also gay and we just had a blast. I will for sure be going back next year....My advice is just to go and have a good time, enjoy the shows and meet new people! Being from the Midwest, it was the first time I've been around so many people in the LGBT community!

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

My first pride was freaking amazing. You rarely get the chance to be surrounded by hundreds or thousands of LGBT people. That alone is a pretty awesome feeling.

I also went pretty fresh from out of the closet and I think pride really helps you out when it comes to accepting yourself and others. The energy of support and acceptance is like no other! I hope you have tons of fun :slight_smile:

PS. Your thread gave me the idea to try and show what pride sort of looks like. If you want to take a look you can find some pics that my friend took a week ago from our (rescheduled) pride :slight_smile: