1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid school/dangerous/not smart ppl

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Urman, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Urman

Urman Guest

Ok here we go today i found out that are school fire alarm system does not work. So everyone evacuated the school during first period. so blah blah blah... the fire marshal comes to the school and deems the school as unsafe for the students. So the fire marshal wanted to close the school because of that.But the school made a deal with the fire marshal if they have people walk around the school to make sure that they don't smell smoke or see fire ect. ect. According to New York state this is legal but many students including my self did not fell that we were safe so we planed a walk out forth period and we followed thought with it the only thing was when we walked in the parking lot are school resource office locked us out of the school and was kicking people off of school grounds i snuck around so i got in . But many people left during the walk out which was not the point we wanted to protest but now people who left are getting a two day suspension. A believe that the people who drove off in the begging should get it but not the people who was kicked off of school grounds the principle came out and let the students that werre there back in to the school this school really gets on my nerves. They shouldn't have locked us out and kick people of the school grounds anyways it was on the news if i find the video i will post it up .

2. InaRut

That is ridiculous! That's gotta be the worst I have ever heard of a school. People walking around so they don't smell smoke? Just fix the fire alarm system. What kinda of school openly risks the lives of students like that?

And how they handled the walk out is ridiculous too. Your school has some major issues to sort out, and I suggest you bring it to the attension of a higher power.

3. Urman

Urman Guest

No one will listen are school didn't even listen to the fire marshal

4. dictionary

Do you know if your school has made any precautions untill they sort it out?
    I dont think my school had smoke detectors last year lol....
    Dont you actualythink having people proactivly searching for fire is better than an alarm system that can easly fail and locking all the students out?

5. Urman

Urman Guest

have people looking thats it

6. Urman

Urman Guest

for a fire:dry: :dry: :dry:

7. dictionary

Maby "accedently" set your school on fire then they would have to listen to you...

8. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My school doesn't even have a fire alarm... we once had a general electrical failure due to overload (in fact, the main power board was so overloaded that we had an electrical fire there). We weren't evacuated even then - they kept the few lights which worked on even though the power board was on fire, and we were only evacuated when firemen came like two hours after that...

My class was the last one to be evacuated, because we were at the physics lab, which wasn't affected by the thing until the whole electrical system failed.

9. Urman

Urman Guest

lol arson nah no jail for me

That stinks i would have been pissed

10. Urman

Urman Guest

Here is the artical and video i found

Video-Click here to watch News-12-Wphs-Alarm

i shortened or changed the article for privacy reasons

(12/11/07) A malfunctioning fire alarm almost closed the Wphs Tuesday morning.

When firefighters responded to the false alarm, they found the alarm system was not working in parts of the building. At that point, the fire chief's first reaction was to order the school closed.

School officials, however, objected to closing the school. After several hours of negotiations, it was decided a fire watch, using 12 people patrolling the halls, would be adequate to provide fire protection in those areas where the alarms didn't work.

The district called in the fire alarm company to make repairs after school is dismissed for the day. As a result, all afternoon activities have been canceled.

If the work is not finished by Tuesday, the superintendent says they may continue using the fire-watch system until the alarms are working properly.

11. Jim1454

How often has your school caught fire before? How likely is it to be engulfed in flames so quickly that you'd perish in the fire?

I don't want to diminish the importance of safety, but a walk-out was probably not called for. Having 12 people patrolling the school ready to initiate an evacuation at the first sign of a problem is probably the safest emergency system going!

So protesting this by walking out, and then being mad for not being allowed back in and/or being suspended for 2 days seems like a bit of a contradiction. Weren't you saying that the school wasn't safe to be in anyway?

Sorry if I sound like a grumpy old man...

12. Urman

Urman Guest

Yes because of the alarms but i understand were you are coming from but for the most part it was safety and i just found out that we have been at risk since September towards the beginning of the school year and now since the us fire marshal said something now they decide to do something since they are being forced to. I think that protesting was the right thing to do to show how we felt in a non violent way
    civil disobedience.

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I agree with Jim.

Fire alarms, like any other electrical equipment, can go wrong. It should be tested regularly, and it is probably the result of one of these tests that showed it was not working.

An alarm is simply a way of informing everyone that there is a fire. It will NOT prevent a fire. Any other way of informing people that there is a fire and getting them out of the building will do just as well as an alarm. So the faulty alarm does not make the building unsafe. Locked or blocked fire exits would be a more serious issue.

If you are close to the fire you will smell the smoke and get out of there quickly enough whether or not there is an alarm. And if you are not that close then someone walking briskly around shouting FIRE will get you out plenty quickly enough, even if it takes a few minutes longer than it would with an alarm.

Personally I think evacuating the whole building at the first hint of fire is over-reacting anyway. At a previous company everyone (over 100 of us) were left standing outside for over half an hour because the fire alarm went off. The cause was a tiny fire that was put out safely within a few seconds with a fire extinguisher. But because the alarm had activated (due to the smoke being detected by a smoke detector) we had to wait for the fire brigade to arrive, check the building, say it was safe and reset the alarm.

14. Urman

Urman Guest

I understand what you and Jim are saying but it was disabled or faulted since September they waited when they could have had it done before school started.

15. Urman

Urman Guest

Also to add our school has a history for thing not working correctly

16. Urman

Urman Guest

We recived a latter saying that we have four days after school detention because of it. :frowning2: