1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jodie Foster acknowledges partner

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ccdd, Dec 11, 2007.

1. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Did anyone see that Jodie Foster publicly acknowledged her lesbian partner during a speech last week? I dislike the fact that she's gotten hassle for not "coming out" publicly before even though people often guessed. I mean, straight people don't have to come out do they? It's her choice, and like she says, it's her private life... I think it's good she felt able to acknowledge her (and did it that way rather than by making an announcement - therefore no different to straight people who acknowledge their partners). But actually, why are we all discussing this? It shouldn't be news if someone's gay, if you know what I mean. It should be uninteresting.

Now that I think of it, maybe I'm part of the making an issue of people's sexuality by making a thread about this in the first place actually?

Was just wondering what your thoughts were on public figures coming out. I don't really think it's our business (although now I do have another lesbian icon!!)

2. Ty

Ty Guest

Jodie Fosters a lesbian!?!?!? =Z who what where when how!?!?

3. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Oh sorry I didn't mean to out her, that's not what I meant to do at all! (I think that perhaps I am better tuned in with famous lesbians than some others for obvious reasons!!). But yes, after many years of speculation, she kind of acknowledged it whilst receiving an award last week. Although it wasn't like "I'm gay", just an acknowledgement of her very long-term partner (incidentally, more long-term I think than any hollywood heterosexual partnerships I can think of) - how it should be, I think. Why should we have to come out?? It's been in the news. I have been aware of the rumours for ages (it's been a kind of open secret in hollywood). There are so few high profile lesbians I think that I saw it in the news today and it really pleased me.

4. Ty

Ty Guest

Well i checked wikipedia after i read this and its been like a 15 year relationship which is quite long. I was just surprised is all. I dont really keep up to date with celebs apart from films and when i watched her film contact i didn't really think "lesbian"

But yeah.... woo another famous GBLT person!

5. InaRut

Although...it is food for the tabloid.
    Isn't it also a way to bring acceptance to GLBT people?

6. Ty

Ty Guest

Scenario (very unlikely but its what came to mind)

Gay bashing jodie foster fan - God i hate lesbians
    *see's on news that jodies a lesbian*
    GBJSF - Oh wow, if shes a lesbian it can't be that bad...hmm maybe i should educate myself!

And she did and it was good
    And that is the story of GBJSF acording to the bible of Ty

7. InaRut

.....Well you never know.

8. Casey17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    lol Ty. I think you're right. That's more than likely to happen to some people.

9. Yeah Jodie Foster has been with someone for a long time. I think she's played it well, she hasn't publicly officially come out but she hasn't denied it either.

10. waitingsucks

I loved how ccdc used "we" in her first post. anyway I think it's reassuring for gay youth that there are people out there who are gay, like well-known famous people. It also helps with acceptance because people aren't going to change their view on someone because of their sexuality, that is as socially acceptable now as it used to be to change opinion on sum1 for a stupid reason like that. Oh well I'm glad that Jodie found love

11. boy0boy

First off... I love Jodie she is amazing. Anyone see "Brave One?" IT WAS SOOOO GOOD.

But yeah I was watching an interview of her, well more than one over a course of time and she was pretty masculine, so this is shocking.. but not too out of left-field. I just think it's more shocking that I'm barely finding out since it's been a relationship of 15 yrs. I don't understand people "against" coming out being a big deal. It really is a big deal. When you are raised in a society that makes it such a negative stigma, to go against that is pretty big. Now this doesn't mean 'coming out' should be a parade, but it is something that should be acknowledged. For me at least.

Plus yeah.. knowing an actual gay person has a real strength in changing someone's opinion, even if it only is a celebrity.

12. LorenzG1950

I think it's very positive when celebrities, sports figures, and politicians come out voluntarily. It helps to reduce the stigma and provides some much needed role models. Most importantly, some biased and homophobic persons are suddenly confronted with the fact that someone they like or respect is gay.

A few weeks ago, Anne Will, a well respected Sunday talk show host in Germany, acknowledged her female partner. The scandal sheets played it up with front page headlines but there was no real negative feedback. Her ratings are strong as ever. Same as the gay mayor of Berlin who outed himself a few years ago by saying, "I'm gay, and it's good that way."

It's also generally known that several of the national German female soccer team are lesbian. No one gives a shit, as long as they keep winning. The big taboo is with male soccer players. Yes, there are a number of gay professional soccer players but they are afraid to come out, fearing the consequences from their fans. No one wants to be first in that club. I'm hoping it will happen soon. Every celebrity who comes out makes it easier for those who follow. :eusa_clap

13. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I think it's wonderful when famous people come out, and it really made my day to hear about Jodie Foster. And it clearly is a big deal in that I doubt she acknowledged her without considering the repercussions before hand. I certainly like having a beautiful, intelligent role model who is well-known for being brilliant at what she does. I think what I was trying to say is that I look forward to the day when no one has to come out, to the day when people do not assume heterosexuality and just wait and see - she has previously expressed the opinion that it is a private matter, and I was trying to honour that, although unfortunately in this day and age it is a big deal, still, to come out. I'm really happy for her - and I'm feeling pretty boastful that she probably has the longest-lasting relationship in Hollywood. Considering the extra pressures on them, that is really something. I know of so few famous open lesbians, that every one makes a difference, especially when they are already known and respected. I think I might go and buy some of her movies...

14. Zec24

Kuddos to Foster for thanking her (presumable) partner. I read this somewhere else the other day. I'm glad she did it with little fanfare, it says that she finds it normal and something that shouldn't be earthshattering.

I don't really care that she isn't making an all out statement about being gay. Its not necessary. Why do we have the right to know about her private life? We don't.

15. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can totally respect her not wanting to have to explicitly come out and say "I'm a _blank_" but I think dodging the question by just not talking about your private life at all is a bit... well, ridiculous. If you don't want to talk about things when you're just dating, fine, but when you have a long-term partner who you share children with?

It just underscores the double standard to me: what straight person would refuse to even acknowledge their partner? I can understand not getting into details but if you refuse to really comment at all because *gasp* then people will know you're a lesbian?

From what I understand, there are a number of celebrities where everyone in the industry is PERFECTLY well aware that they're not straight but everyone kinda plays along for the public and that just strikes me as really inconsistent and just... false. Ellen was like that, Lily Tomlin, Nathan Lane, etc. It's just silly. It's like lying by omission--maybe not quite as egregious as stating untruths but you're still effectively hiding the reality of the situation by not commenting on it.

Plus there's the whole argument that if you are going to be in an industry where you can become a celebrity, you have to expect a certain amount of heightened interest in your personal life. That's not to say you should have to become tabloid fodder (and definitely not that you should work to) but really, there are plenty of venues for actors to act outside of Hollywood where the press is not going to be hounding you. Generally I find people who are in Hollywood who are very concerned about their privacy being invaded a lot like people who want to have their cake and eat it, too.

All that being said, I love Jodie Foster and overall it doesn't bug me so much in her particular case. It does suck, though, that all the people out there who might be inspired by her if they knew she was "like them" don't get that chance, because really, if you had to be someone, why not Jodie Foster? *grin*

16. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I totally agree with you Joey!