1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about coming out

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Poker, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Poker

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hello all, this is my first post. I discovered this site while I was doing research for a novel that I'm writing (for the NaNo project). I'm from L.A. and a strong supporter for LGBTQ rights. I feel that one way to bring equality to the cause is to have GLBTQ characters featured in pop culture in normal (not stereotypical) settings living their lives. (Except for Glee, I hate that show :wink: Familiarity helps shed the fear and stigma attached, I was lucky to grow up in West Holywood and know many smart, wonderful people who also happened to be queer and I this is an experience that I wish more kids could have.

I came to ask a question about coming out. In this story a young man (25) comes out to his ultra conservative family. Obviously he is of an age that they can't ship him off to an ex-gay camp and they disown him. Does anyone have any personal insight onto the dynamics of this type of relationship that they wish to share? I'm just trying to get a grip on how a parent could do that. I have a daughter and I just can't imagine being pissed or actually disowning her because of her biology. If anyone cares to share I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    (&&&)

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont have any personal experience so I wont offer too much advise but I am sure some people here that have 1st hand experience will help you. From what I have seen during my time here at EC it seems to be that it is mainly religious families that have the greater difficulties in accepting a gay child.

Good luck with your novel.

3. Alex15

Surrounded by the Old Repulican Vangard (Texas)
    Well this is what I'm expecting with some of my family, what allows them to do it? I'm a twin so in their minds they will still have have me, just not really. Is that a true? No...not 100% at least

4. Aeon Magus

Hello, Poker.

In my experience, having a mother whose face is glued to the pages of her bible, it does not really go well for the person receiving the "I disown you" speech from a parent, though in my case it turned out okay, I suppose. I came out to my mother, she stood there gawking at me for a few minutes, probably taking in what I just told her, then proceeded to go on a little bitch fit about how "wrong" it is in the eyes of the 'lord'... I'm atheist, dammit. :rolle: Anyway, she got really close to disowning me, but my grandmother stepped in and slapped her for considering it. Haha. Well, she didn't disown me, but for a couple of weeks after that she did recite scriptures from her 'holy' book to try and dissuade me from who I am. She finally came to terms with it, having nothing else to preach to me about from her book of infinite knowledge. Now, we go shopping together, she takes me along to her hairdresser. We get along just fine now... with the occasional argument, because we're both pretty stubborn. I guess I got that from her. :icon_razz

Hope this helps your novel, somewhat...

AM