1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Gender Spectrum

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Daisy1, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Daisy1

My LGBT mentor told me about this theory recently, and I thought many of the trans folks on EC might find it useful. Basically, just as sexuality is a spectrum (ie. the Kinsey scale) gender is increasingly understood to be on a spectrum as well. Most have some characteristics of and/or identification with the opposite sex.

I can't find much info on it online (she was referencing a research article). Has anyone come across information on this? I'm sure it would be much more helpful to have the entire article.

2. Mogget

There does seem to be so truth to the idea, just based on the existence of genderqueer and similarly-identified people. But I'd be hesitant to try to pin down just exactly what it is since that tends to lead to gender essentialism (saying certain characteristics of behavior, speech, dress, etc. are exclusive to one gender) and to a confusion between biological sex and cultural gender more generally.