1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Why Nerds Are Unpopular"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by djt820, Nov 21, 2011.

1. djt820

I just found this essay and everything it claims is true. You should read this if you're being picked on in school or if you got picked on. It cheered me up.

Why Nerds are Unpopular

(Don't be lazy, READ IT!)

2. jostle100

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow its long.

EDIT: Read the first paragraph, I used to classify tables by popularity too! It was from a scale from 1-5 and I just kept that in my mind.

Done reading it and this guy is pretty amazing with his other essays as well.

#2 jostle100, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  3. Rooni321

Couldn't finish it, but I got the gist!
    Nerds have to work at being popular and so do the populars.
    Interesting.

#3 Rooni321, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2011
  4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Long as that was, it was completely worth it. I'd never thought of high school that way before, but it makes the whole experience make a lot of sense.

5. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That was pretty good.

6. Bi As A Kite

Damn good read.

7. Friendly ghost

Hurray for nerds! That is very accurate. I'm a nerd. I hated middle school. By high school, I was extremely apathetic towards popularity, as I had no chance in doing anything about it. Of course, it was never a big concern of mine, I took my pleasure in reigning in math and science. Though, despite leading the quiz bowl team, nobody else cared. lol. I think problems really start to happen when there are few nerds who don't group together well. Thankfully for me, I at least had a few friends who could carry their ego with intelligence, even if not in the same area. It's funny though, nerds are rarely arrogant, but we often have a quiet smugness when we have an area where we know we dominate. I remember very well though around my junior and senior year when everyone was comparing test scores. Of course, people ask the geeks what they got, though it made no difference. But, specifically with the act scores, my head got a little inflated with the attention. It lasted for like 2 days though, then it was back to the fringe for me.

8. firemaker13

I fell well reading it wasnot boring, it was just long. Our school was different popularity and nerds could be the same person.it really depended on how much money your mommy and daddy had.

9. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow. I flagged this to read sometime last week...finally got around to it, and wow. It is an amazing article. Yes, very long, but...wow...SO many great things to say on so many topics.

Whether or not you consider yourself a nerd (I didn't when I was in school...although I may have fit the author's definition), whether or not you were bullied in school, or felt unpopular...if you ever went to school, have kids in school, teach at a school, deal with adolescents, or even just have a passing interest in the secondary school system, you should take the time to read this article.

It's long, but I couldn't put it down. Now the only question is what to do with these newfound perspectives! I could seriously have used them when I was 12-16.

Thanks for posting this, djt!