1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what has science done! korea develops glowing kittens!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by surfrboykai, Dec 13, 2007.

1. surfrboykai

2. waitingsucks

They are cute, but cloning like that is just crazy

3. surfrboykai

brah, that's beyond cloning. that's messing around with their DNA. mother nature designed these kittens to not glow. who are we to go against nature herself and make them glow? this kinda stuff pisses me off, and it is so hard to piss me off. it's cool that they wanna do good and try to cure genetic diseases. i kinda agree with that. but to mess with DNA for no reason at all seems stupid.

4. Chaos

There are a lot of things that go against nature...

Splitting the atom.
    Stem Cell Research.
    Abortion.
    Walking on the moon.
    Cloning.

There are a lot of things that were probably not intended but humans always mess with things they shouldn't be messing with. I can understand some of the things that we have, but what do we need glowing animals for? Absolutely nothing.

It's not like its going to further medical research... If it is I would like to know how. Doctors and Scientists should be coming up with cures for things and not making animals glow.

5. surfrboykai

that's exactly my point brah. this is unnecessary. i'd understand if this were to further medicine and cure something...but this is ridiculous...

6. JSG

JSG Guest

I've read a book about hackers in the future, they've stopped hacking and messing with computer codes, they've moved on to the genetic code.

7. xequar

That's so awesome!!! Kitty flashlight!!11!!!!1@!

8. sdc91

They're just genetically modified animals.

I've read about pigs with jellyfish genes so their noses are fluorescent yellow and other pigs who are modified to not make as much nitrogenous waste. It's the same stuff as genetically engineered crops, only now on animals.

In my opinion, it's good. It's not like they're creating some weird animal hybrid that attacks people or anything.

9. pirateninja

As long as they didn't hurt the kittens or using them to hurt others, then in my opinion it's okay

10. LorenzG1950

#10 LorenzG1950, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  11. Ty

Ty Guest

You realise after they've finished studying the kittens, they have to kill them. =/

12. Jeimuzu

What a waste of damn time and energy.

A thoroughly stupid thing to do. Why can't we work on AIDS, Cystic Fibrosis, Motor Neurone Disease or Cerebral Palsy? There are so many diseases which leave human beings in horrible states, and scientists are making glowing kitten-clones. This just reeks of a head scientist's pet-project.

On the positive side... 500th post!

13. Rette

Cloning/genetics is wierd. It may very well be this is just testing certain methods of cloning. I'm unclear as to whether the red fluorescence was actually wanted, or just a weird side effect. Also, after following the link to the Korea Times article;

So...It's not entirely pointless, it seems.

Also...,

Heh. I see what you did there...

14. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

This is where i lose Liberal points. :lol:

I support Medical research for cures. But advancement in science is a disaster waiting to happen.
    I support stem cell research (and abortion for that matter but lets not get into that) but i worry that one day it will be used against us or for something not medical.
    Like these cats for example:
    We don't know if this is harming the "cloned" animal in any way. I mean can clones feel or think? Do we know this as a fact?

Cloning is definitely something i am strongly against. I don't know enough about it, but even if i did, i think that is it something i would have a very very hard time being okay with.

15. xxAngelOnFirexx

oh thats so sick and wrong! poor kitties! there is no reason and benefit from that! of course isn't korea the country that eats abortioned baby brains? maybe that was japan... (check the internet if you don't believe me! i heard adn saw this shown to me from a friend of me sis. but its not for the weak of stomach)

16. Ty

Ty Guest

I don't mind animal testing, its just the times where its used for trivial purposes like make up and grooming products. I also think cloning is very beneficial and apart from the fact that it decreases variation, its still useful. (to get around this problem, clones shouldn't be allowed to reproduce).

17. Dizzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Isolating a certain patch of genetic material in one animal and transferring it to another is fantastically useful. We get most of our penicillin from bacteria that has had something similar done to it. However to test their methods of copying the DNA they need to test copying something that is easy to observe, hence the glowing. It is not the end result, but part of the testing.

18. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

I want to be a geneologist (sp?) and i want to make the first human with wings. Most probably i want it to be me but there is some bugs with that because my DNA is already set and it would be hard to rearrange it now thats all ready like installed and i would most likely have to use a human baby embryo. And he/she will be the first human being that could fly....if it comes ok exactly but i will have to try on smaller creatures first like a mouse...Imagine that a flying mouse

19. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

I'm surprised no one has complained about it being from fox news...

Anyway, I think making kittens glow is a waste of effort.

20. dictionary

Japanese scientists recently made partialy seethrough frogs so thay dont have to be disected once they have had the chemichals injected into them so mutch more humane isnt it.....

I think cats are cute enough without being flurecent..... couldent you just paint them?