1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused about terms

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Charni, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Since coming to this site I have come across many new terms here and I don't really know what they some of them mean so what is:
    1) Kinsey
    2) Pansexual
    3) Asexual
    4) Homoflexible
    5) Queergendered

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. The Kinsey scale puts sexuality on a continuum instead of just "straight", "bi" and "gay". It goes from 0, which is completely 100% straight, to 6, which is completely 100% gay. So someone who is a Kinsey 2 would be bi with a stronger preference for the opposite gender, while a Kinsey 5 would be mostly gay with some exceptions.

2. Pansexuality is basically someone capable of attraction to all gender identities, though I'm not very good at explaining that one.

3. Asexuality is pretty much not feeling sexually attracted to anyone.

4. Homoflexible could be called "mostly gay", or gay but curious about the opposite sex, along those lines.

5. Genderqueer people identify as something other than male or female. Again, not too good at explaining it.

3. Doctor Faustus

(1) Kinsey: Kinsey scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    (2) Pansexual: a term designed to be more inclusive than bisexual, encompassing attraction to (as someone else on EC put it) anybody with... any body. Includes trans people, intersexed etc.
    (3) Asexual: Broadly speaking, the lack of sexual attraction and/or lack of an interest in sex. Can also mean the lack of a specific sexual orientation.
    (4) Homoflexible: Primarily homosexual but also has occasional sexual relations with the opposite sex. Sometimes interpreted as synonymous with bi-curious.
    (5) Queergendered/Genderqueer: Something of an umbrella term for individuals who set themselves apart from the gender binary and heteronormativity. Encompasses those who may identify as one or more of: both sexes (bigender/pangender); neither sex (agender); moving between genders (genderfluid); those of third gender or have an unidentified specific gender; those who blur gender identity and sexual orientation.

Some of this is adapted from Wikipedia sources.

Hope this helps!

4. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So some people feel like they aren't male or female?

5. Doctor Faustus

Some feel like they are neither. Some that they are both. Some are genderfluid. In any case, they operate outside the traditional male/female gender binary.

6. starfish

For number 4 I use the term straight curious. Which is how I describe my self. I'm gay but they're somethings I would like to try with a girl.

7. Mimerio

1) Kinsey - The degree of someone's sexuality, Kinsey 1 is Purely Heterosexual, 3 is Bisexual, and 6 is Purely Homosexual
    2) Pansexual - Similar to Bisexual but they don't mind who they go out with, male or female, or for looks or personality
    3) Asexual - Someone who doesn't have sexual urges to be with either gender
    4) Homoflexible - I think this means someone who is gay but has the odd relationship with a member of the opposite sex too, Not to be confused with Bisexual.
    5) Queergendered - Not too sure on this one