1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Global warming is fake

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ty, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Ty

Ty Guest

http://www.intelliot.com/blog/archives/2007/03/17/is-global-warming-fake/

Thats like a basic summary of the documentary i watched during a physics class a few days ago minus the graphs and stuff. If your one of those who firmly believes in global warming then i invite you to dig into there and contradict as much as you can with your own evidence.

=]

And don't even get me started on Al Gores : An inconvenient untruth

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Totally unscientific, but from my experience I think the climate is changing.

Winters are not as bitterly cold for extended periods as they were when I was younger (say 30-35 years ago). We do have cold patches with frost etc but they only last a few days and not for weeks.

Weather seems to also be out of season more now. When I was younger the seasons tended to have more of the type of whether you associate with them (generally warm and dry in the summer, generally cold with ice and snow in the winter). Now we seem to get more odd weather completely out of season, such as the floods here this summer.

I do not know whether the cause is due to how mankind is using or abusing the planet, or whether is is a natural change that would happen regardless.

The way we use energy has changed dramatically over the last 30 years or so. Now many families have more than one car, back then many families didn't have cars. Now we have a lot more electronic equipment wich we leave switched on all the time, back then there was a lot less and it was switched fully off when not being used. Now central heating is the norm and we heat the whole house rather than just the rooms we are in, and we heat it warmer. We use a lot more energy, although we do use it more efficiently.

3. I don't really put much stock into man made global warming. My science teacher last year made an excellent point, he said that earth has had 11 ice ages so it naturally goes through periods of warming and cooling. He also pointed out the unusual warm period of the middle ages and the fact that the Mesozoic era was really really hot and moist. So earth naturally goes through these cycles, I don't think we're accelerating it.

4. Ty

Ty Guest

Like i said it doesn't have all the other information that the documentary had.

If you go back in history, you see that just 500-1000 years ago the temperature was much warmer than it is nowadays, infact it was so warm that vineyards were successfully maintained in england! And 400-500 years ago it was so cold in england that the river thames froze over! Shall i type up everything i can remember from that physics lesson? If anyones actually interested because i don't wanna type it all up for nothing.

5. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Well, i didn't want to post here.

My question to you is:

Why are you demanding this kind of debate?
    As you know just as well as i do that the only thing that will be accomplished is both sides at each others throats and the subsequent closing of this thread.

It would be great it we could debate like civilized people, but realistically, you know that I have reason and there is no right answer to this.

It's opinion based, but what harm can it do walking to school or getting a bus instead of revving up your Hummer? Or switching from oil to solar (which i agree needs extensive improvements for efficiency).

I am personally also a skeptic of "global warming" but an avid environmentalist so the way i see it:

Why take a chance?
    Put the planet at stake just because the human race quite obviously lacks the intellect to fully understand whats going on. Even skeptic scientists will tell you they cannot disprove global warming theories fully. They too only have theories.

I mean, we can't even accurately predict the weather forecasts for things like rainfall. How can we possibly understand this complex phenomenon (or "theory" if you'd rather).

#5 Proud1p4, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2007
  6. Yes, you are right. It's like that with any issue whether it's this, evolution, or gay rights there's no clean way to get your opinion across without getting heated. So it's probably better to not debate it. But stating what you've heard can't hurt, that should be ok.

7. sdc91

Even if you don't think global warming is happening, I think it'd still be good for the environment if we were a little greener. You can't argue that point.

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

We (as mods and admins) always watch threads like this. We do hope they will run smoothly with people discussing the issues and not attacking those expressing the views. Civilised discussions about issues like this is good, and as long as people accept that others will have different views there is no reason why discussions like this cannot take place here.

If everyone bares this in mind, and thinks carefully and calmly before posting, we should be set for an interesting discussion. However if people start attacking each other then the thread will probably get closed.

9. Zak

Zak

Like cooepr said....we could be a lil' greener, and try not to hurt the enviornment...een tho i do belive in GLOBAL WARMING...and i wtched al gores movie in sience class lst year. :slight_smile: all the republican kids were soo pissed and all of the democratic kids wee like boo yah. LOL. :slight_smile:

10. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Even if the evidence for global warming is being exaggerated (which I don't believe), it would still behoove us to be cautious, because we only have on planet to live on.

11. Agreed.

12. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Well thank goodness at least we can agree on that. *relieved sigh*

13. Bryan90

This topic is actually quite interesting. According to many graphs plotted by scientists [whether the data is dubious or not, it's a matter for debate], the next ice age is actually terribly overdue. And a number of scientists suggest that global warming is actually prolonging our warm period, directly delaying the advent of the next ice age, and hence isn't as deleterious as it is perceived by the public.

14. Oh yeah, I'm all for taking precautionary methods and making sure we aim for greener, I'm just tired of hearing people fight about whether its right to do so or not.

15. InaRut

Well if global warming is or isn't happening. We still need to cut back on our gas emissions and fuel useage. Oil isn't going to be there forever, and as a oil-based society that would be a very bad thing. And we know the gas emissions aren't good for the earth, hell, if you breath in exaust fumes you'll be choking in seconds flat. And even if global warming isn't happening then what's the harm in shutting off a light when you leave the room, or using cold water detergant when washing your clothes.

Honestly people who say global warming isn't happening are just lazy. Even if you don't think it's happening you can still do your part to ever stop it from happening.

Edit: Oh and if Al Gore's movie was a bunch of Bull. At least it got some people to start think green.

16. Tom

Tom Guest

i watched the same program a while ago cus im sad like tht and watch horizon or w/e it was on =p

but the program was convincing, and i got bored after watchin it and so did a lil bit of research and msot of the things on it could be proved. the 800 yr gap between rise in temp and rise in CO2 levels bein one thing tht has been proven by ice samples but usually one of the graphs is inverted and then they r analysed and theres no reason to do this.

but still the climate is changing, even in the lil ice age and heatwave the weather wasnt like this, it was either cold or warm and this either indicates tht the sun has gone haywire or the atmosphere is retaining more of the heat. a change in the sun would of been noted with how many people are watching it and the atmosphere is somet tht climatologists are watching closesly and have noted changes in it so yeah it is probably the atmosphere bein changed so it could always help us by goin greener.

one thing tht i dont get tho, when energy is being made their is always thermal energy being given off as a side product and this cant be changed, and as this is usually held within gas molecules it escapes into the atmosphere and this would warm us up slightly, just think of how hot cars get and then all tht heat is diccipated into the surroundings. there are 6 billion humans alive and ea one can be likened to a 500w+ bar of an electric heater wich is almost 3trillion watts of power potentially given out by humans as thermal energy, surely these would have an effect on the temperature aswell,ands then you ahve every animal that is basically the size of a sheep up giving off roughly the same amount of thermal energy aswell .in most reports they focus on the atmosphere change only which is somet i dont get as true the major amounts of energy do originate from the sun but this energy is dealt with by the atmosphere in weird mysterious way i cba 2 go into now but the thermal energy ea and everyone of us produce would effect us aswell which is a fact most people forget about.

17. Urman

Urman Guest

Me personally i think it can really happen from all the pollution

18. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

Even if global warming is not caused by humans, all the pollutants etc are harming us in some way anyways, so what difference does it have if global warming is being caused or not by human activities? We should still try to find cleaner sources of energy. It just gives people an excuse to not conserve energy or think of better energy sources. I do believe that humans are contributing to global warming. There are 6,000,000,000 people on the earth. We have a big impact on it. All the carbon dioxide and greenhouse gases are causing the earth to retain heat that normally would not be. Anyways, much of the fossil fuels are used up already and we should try to limit use of them anyways.

Also, I found this interesting that I learned in Biology :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: the population of the world is supposed to double in umm 35 or 50 years. so, 12 billion people. BUT the world can only SUPPORT 10 billion people max. That won't be a good time...

19. well all i can say is that...the climate definitely is changing because my winters in south south texas have been alot colder and these past 2 years have been very much warmer which i don't like at all and it's not just south texas so somewhat i do believe in global warming.

20. Urman

Urman Guest

I have to disagree nucular energy is the safest and cleanest