1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discrimination against Gay marriage=free tuition at Northwestern(personal story)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kovax14, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

So anyways on my dad's side of the family there is a rather complicated familial situation. My dad's brother got married to a woman, Ann, and after having two children she realized she was a lesbian. They divorced, and she has been married to Sue for almost 20 years now and they have four kids in total (two from Ann's first marriage, one who is Sue's by a sperm donor, and one who is adopted from China). Anyway, my dad's brother is somewhat of a douche bag and as soon as the two oldest kids turned 18 he decided to stop paying for anything of theirs.

Anyways so in my aunts' relationship, Sue makes the majority of the money because she is a leading OBGYN. They are incredibly rich and would have no problem at all paying for their kids to go to any university. So heres the thing. My two oldest cousins both go to Northwestern....for free tuition. The university does not recognize my aunts' marriage as legitimate, and since my aunt Ann does not make a lot of money herself, and because my uncle pulled the plug in terms of money, the university views their situation as being one of extremely low income. (I'm sorry if that was really convoluted). Hence, between the two kids, over four years the university is losing close to $400k for not recognizing my aunts' marriage as legitimate.

anyway the morality of the situation could be argued either way, i just thought it was interesting how things played out

#1 Kovax14, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2007
  2. Well as hard as I try not to pass judgment on others I have to say thats kind of douchy for your uncle to stop paying as soon as the kids turned 18. Just my take on it.

3. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

yeah, lets just say, we dont like that uncle all that much (although my dad did tell him i was gay the other day and he was extremely supportive, we gave him due brownie points for that, but it doesnt redeem him too much)

4. sdc91

Wow, umm. I guess that's kind of dishonest on your ex-Aunt's part, but that's what the university gets for our country not legalizing their union. lol

5. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

yeah i have mixed feelings about it in that regard, but as long as everyone else gets the financial aid that they truly need, i have no qualms with it

6. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    exactly, if their own bigotry means that the university doesn't recognise you're aunts relationship then financial penalties are the least they should get because of it. Especially since universities/colleges are meant to be the places where most people feel best coming out.

It's a bit strange that they're sooo uptight about it

7. waitingsucks

At least it's one of the benifits (even if we'd prefer equality) of the same-sex couples not being recognised by sum ppl. My mum has friends who r a lesbian couple and they've been together for a long time. They had a child by sperm donation and because they're not legally thought of as couple the biological mother get's heaps of benifits as a single mum. lol it's funny that there is these sorta upsides.

8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem with the Northwestern thing is that I assume your two cousins' fees are being paid with financial aid, which if it weren't going to your two cousins, who totally don't need it, could go to two people who actually do need it. The university really isn't suffering at all if that's the case.

9. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

yeah i know what you mean, thats why i said that the morality of the situation really goes both ways. i really hope that no one is being deprived of financial aid, but northwestern is one of those universities that tends to meet 100% of demonstrated aid, so i dont think its necessary to worry too much

10. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

If the university refuses to recognize your aunt's relationship, it's their loss. That's just my opinion.

11. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hopefully that's the case. :slight_smile: