1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Words should i find offending???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Grof142007, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Grof142007

I really not sure.e Faggot, Queers stuff like that i just dont bother but i need know so if somone does say it i can response and let em know that it not right to be saying those words

I guessing there a big list im just not sure

2. Grof142007

ALso is it wrong it call it a lifestyle or culture?

3. sdc91

Um, I mostly just listen to the context.

But I'd get offended at "faggot" and "lifestyle choice" for the most part. For obvious reasons.

4. CrimsonThunder

Muff(in).

I'm not offeneded by any words, and lately I've begun to use the word faggot alot. ^^

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

It's usually not worth it to ask people to not use those words. As for which ones should offend you, only you can decide that. But as a general guidelines, f*g and f****t are only acceptable when used to mean a cigaret or a bundle of sticks.

6. Grof142007

Is it really a lifestyle?

Meh if that the case nothing really offend me and if it does i usually dont realize till it 2 late

7. Dizzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Get offended at the words that offend you. It's as simple as that...

8. Ty

Ty Guest

And also in england, we have a type of meatball called a faggot.

Infact a few months ago (i think) there was some complaints by lesbians in a newspaper about a pub owner labeling a food "Flaming Faggots"

Idk I'd get offended if they said it was a lifestyle CHOICE because that implys that you simply don't WANT to be with a woman.
    Blah

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

10. 24601

The lifestyle/culture aspect I think only applies to people who are actually involved in the whole... well, gay scene, I guess (I can't describe it well other than calling it "culture"). There are plenty of gay guys who aren't into any of the stereotypical "gay culture" things. So, in that respect, I think someone being involved in the gay culture or living the stereotypical gay lifestyle is definitely a choice. I mean, I'm sure some people kind of naturally fall one way or the other due to a bunch of psychological factors (intro/extraversion, etc.), but I don't necessarily think there's any inherent drive to follow the stereotypical path. So, what I'm getting at here is that I think it's wrong to say that all gay men live a gay lifestyle or are into the gay culture, because that's not true. It really annoys me when people say homosexuality is a lifestyle choice, because that's not true, and not even close to the definition of a lifestyle. Sure, some people have made it into a lifestyle, but the fact is sexuality is only a small part of someone's lifestyle, and a part that one has no control over at that.

Anyway, to answer your 2nd question, I don't think it's wrong as long as it's accurate. If you are involved in the gay lifestyle, then I don't see why you shouldn't call it that. But, homosexuality in and of itself is NOT a lifestyle.

As for offensive words... well, that's widely a personal and contextual thing. If they say them in a demeaning manner, then I generally find words like "fag" and "queer" offensive. If they don't, I don't think there's any harm done. In general though, the word "fag(got)" almost always bothers me.

11. boy0boy

Actually people touchy enough to let slips of those words bother them and point it out that it's offensive are kinda more rude than the person saying it. Now that's just if the word is used, not offensively, if it was used as a deragotory term then only you can really tell how to react.

12. InaRut

Faggot is the really only one that bothers me.
    Otherwise I don't really care.

something about Fag or Faggot though.

13. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I really don't like the word dyke.

14. PenAndInk

I really hate the word "dyke"
    Most of the other slang terms just makes me giggle, like muff-muncher :lol: (hehehe), because they're absolutely ridiculous.

15. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    muff-muncher? Lol never heard that one before. That's hilarious..'dyke' is kinda rude though. Faggot..don't care.

16. DreaminCali

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    you can spin it around and say "I choose to be myself!"

but you'd be giving them room to be a ignorant.

17. Rizpaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, actually, the lifestyle IS a choice. You can't choose to be homosexual, but you can choose to participate in the gay community. Not that's a bad thing.

18. Astaroth

Well, I find the word "f*g" or "f****t" offensive, but only when it's used as a weapon. From my friends or other gay people, it doesn't bother me. My favorite phrases? "rug-doctor", "ass-pirate", and "Crouching F****t, Hidden Drag-Queen" (that last one's not mine, lol).

19. bleep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To me it's more about the intention behind the word than the word itself. If someone uses it in a derogatory manner then I tend to feel insulted, but if it's meant in a joking manner I usually don't mind.

I do think that "gay" as a synonym "stupid" is used way too often. I'm not offended, per se, but it does kind of bother me.

20. Alexander

I think it's basically ok to call people anything in jest, as long as they're your friends. The tone of the word is all you should really care about. As for having a lifestyle "choice", that's bullcrap. But there IS a gay subculture that is active, so I don't see any issue with people talking about it.