1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LED Christmas lights

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mnguy, Dec 7, 2011.

1. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I was wondering what your experience has been with the longevity of these lights. I understand the bulbs last longer than older lights and they use less energy, but does the rest of the string (wires, connectors, etc) fail just as quickly as older light sets?

The issue I've had with lights is something in the wire/connections goes bad after a few years and then half or all the string won't light. What good are long lasting LED bulbs if something else in the string goes bad in a few years just like the old lights. So you paid a lot more to get LED lights, but the energy savings won't offset buying another set in a few years if other parts of the string fail just as quickly as older sets.

Any long term experience from anyone? Thanks :icon_wink

2. Emberstone

Sylvana LED's rock. I have few sets of sylvanas LED strings that have been going strong for 6 years, and we have only had to replace 2 bulbs on one string, and the rest are going strong. we have another set that is 2 years older that is functioning perfectly.

I have only ever had wiring problems with one string, and it was a phillips one from when they first came out.

the wiring is not going to degrade that fast unless the strings are roughly handled, and wire gets exposed... when you should then basically throw it out anyways.

I love my LED's. They do not light up so much as glow brillently, and make for far more stricking christmas trees than regular lights. however, I still like the regular lights for putting up on the house. the glow is nice in a tree, but on a house, sometimes, they dont have much in the way of visual umph.

I recommend sylvanas.

3. Dan82

i don't like white LED lights i find the light isn't as warm is regular white lights. i have white led snowflakes in the window and regular white lights on the tree.

4. starfish

Last weekend I picked a couple of strings of LED christmas lights at BigLots for $4. I've got them hanging up in my office. I'm thinking of picking up a couple of more at that price.

5. seeksanctuary

LED lights hurt my eyes very badly, so I can't say. :[ I prefer my old fashioned lights.

6. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've noticed this too on some lights I see on houses, like I don't want to look at them too long. On the other hand, some look really nice.

Maybe I just got a bad string that half went out after a few years. I only used them inside so they were treated well. I remember the lights we had growing up we used for many years and were fine, but as most things today, they don't make them like they used to.

---------- Post added 8th Dec 2011 at 06:52 PM ----------

How many lights are on those? Sadly no BigLots near me :frowning2:

7. starfish

IIRC there are 35 lights on a string. If you're interested I could pick them up for you and ship them to you. Shipping shouldn't cost much.

These are them. http://www.biglots.com/browseItem/lights/4983 Looks like they do have longer sets.

8. GuardianKitten

Um, the issue is about the strand,if I understood?

New xmas lights are set up in parallel, so if *one* light dies, the strand still works.

9. Porphyrogenitus

LED lights are aesthetically far worse. Their light isn't warm enough, and they don't shine so much as glow. On the other hand, they do seem, at least in respect of the bulbs, to be more durable than older ones.