1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does ‘Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer’ Promote Bullying?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dan82, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/12/06/does-rudolph-the-red-nosed-reindeer-promote-bullying/

2. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I don't know, at first he got bullied, then he shined, santa loved him, and the other deers liked him so..

3. Shevanel

People need to get better things to write books on...

4. Bolin

This. ^

5. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This quote from the end of the article pretty much sums it up.

6. needshelp

LMAO!!!! looks like people are running out of things to think about.

by the way... [youtube]YcuvlIgSj0Y[/youtube]

7. starfish

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

8. seeksanctuary

Actually.... I think it promotes the idea that it doesn't matter if someone is different. The point was that yeah, Rudolph looked funny and people laughed at him, but look who got the most important job? His difference saved the day. And maybe the other deer woke up and realized they were in the wrong for what they had done.

Sounds like a GOOD message to me.

9. Beachboi92

it is an interesting thought that rudolph is only accepted because his weirdness can be useful in some way. In some ways the argument holds some water but there are a bunch of different ways a child could interpret the movie.

10. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I identified with Rudolph and the other individuals in the Island of Misfit Toys. Never really fitting in as a kid and later leading a closeted life for so long made me feel lonely as hell, so the idea of bonding together among misfits in the minority was a comforting thought. And the movie definitely gave a negative slant towards those discriminatory fucking elves, so I don't know how anyone could claim the movie was pro-bullying. The movie was an allegory for rising above persecution and being yourself.

11. kellymporta

People should stop overanalyzing everything so much! Just enjoy life, in this case just enjoy an innocent christmas story.

12. DJT

DJT Guest

I think it promotes individuality. Imo, it's basically saying be yourself no matter what any body thinks and to stay strong through the bullying. or it could just be a fun christmas song ... either way, i like it! :grin:

13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been blogging about holiday songs recently, and this was my first victim. :slight_smile: I actually discussed the bullying aspect of it, but my real issue is that once Santa puts Rudolph front and center, "then all the reindeer loved him". Any of us who endured bullying knows that getting recognized by the people in charge doesn't result in the bullies suddenly shouting out with glee (or without Glee, if the cast isn't available). It results in the bullies seething with anger and plotting revenge. And considering that now Rudolph is going to be flying around the world with eight resentful reindeer staring at his chocolate starfish for an entire night, I have a feeling that wouldn't be a very comfortable trip for anybody... :slight_smile:

Lex