1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Stuff People Pick at You For

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FleetFish, Dec 13, 2011.

1. FleetFish

Strangely, when meeting new people I don't feel uncomfortable letting it be known that I am bi/pan/whatever. (I typically say "I've dated guys and girls, and I don't have a strong preference. *shrug*) I've actually never had anyone bitch at me or outwardly judge me for this. They take it in stride and we can move on.

I can even "come out" as non-Christian, and people tend to take that ok.

But OH, the hate and annoyance I collect when I come out as vegetarian! :dry: I actually fail to mention this until absolutely the last minute. As in, people will know me for weeks or months, and only when they offer me something meat-y and I decline, does it become apparent. My strategy is that by that point we are already friends, so maybe they won't bitch at me too hard.

And yet, they continue. Suddenly we MUST discuss my personal eating habits, what my reasons are, what my limits are, why they absolutely MUST eat meat, why I'm unhealthy, etc.

Most typical response: "But WHY are you vegetarian?!" What they actually mean is "I WANNA ARGUE!!! YOU'RE WRONG!!!"

Second response: "I could NEVER be vegetarian! I LOVE BACON!!!" *proceeds to defend themselves in a very one-sided conversation*

But, really, I hate discussing this. They don't really want to hear my reasons (which are numerous, varied, deeply personal, and not what you assume), they just want to argue or pre-emptively defend themselves.

I've never bitched at anyone for eating meat, and I never will. By choice is deeply personal and has only to do with me, and my making peace with the world. It's not about other people, but everyone tries to make it about them, for some reason.

So that is my story. I am open about my sexuality and religion, but I am semi-closeted about my eating habits.

Anyone else "closeted" about other stuff?

2. Bedroom Hymns

I am gay, an atheist and a vegetarian, and those are things people could give me shit for :lol:.

I usually do the same as you when it comes to my vegetarianism. I do hate when they get all "WHY do you do it?", "You know you're missing important nutrients", etc. It's happened rarely but still it's annoying.

About being gay if someone asked me I'd tell them. But I don't just come out to everyone I meet because I don't think it's necessary. I do find it harder to tell people I've known for years than new people.

And finally, I think being an atheist is the one I'm worried about telling people the most. It's just that religion is an awful topic most of the time because people get all defensive about their beliefs. And many religious people just judge me because I don't believe in God, and they start questioning me. It becomes a little overwhelming.

In general I'm not exactly closeted about anything important.

3. FleetFish

Aaaaand I just realized that I left a word out of the title of my thread. And it looks like I can't edit it? N00b move, sorry!

"Other Stuff People Pick at You For."

4. hml8

I used to be veggie and I lived with two people veggie last year while I wasn't and I am genuinely interested in peoples reasons and their beliefs (broadly speaking). I like listening to what people have to say, but then I would I'm a religious studies studentand if I wasn't interested in that my degree would be pointless.
    But then that is something I get stick for. People are like "that's not a real degree" (though not as much as there are about sociology which is amusingly something else I'm interested in) or "do you want to be a vicar?" or "a nun?" or whatever, it's like no I'm just interested in it! Though I do want to be a teacher so I suppose it does lead in a particular direction.

5. Paper Heart

Its not so much that I'm picked on for it, but I'm constantly getting mistaken for being a Vegetarian and/or Jewish.

6. Hexagon

Since when is it unusual to be non-christian? probably about three quarters of the world is non-chistian.

I used to get bullied for being trans, but seeing as no one knows anymore, I get picked on for being a geek/nerd (and its all quite good natured since I end up helping people in class a lot.) and for being 'weird' aka aspergers.

7. FJ Cruiser

According to South Park, I'm a "daywalker," meaning I'm a redhead that can actually take a little sun. People give me crap for being a "ginger" even though my hair is such a color that it's been called brown and even blond before. Whatever, it's all in good fun.

8. TraceElement

I've gotten shit for having short hair, being left handed, being a picky eater, and having sensory issues.

9. Mogget

In the US, Christianity is not only the dominant religion, it is the default religion. That is, everyone is assumed Christian unless otherwise stated. It would not be possible to be elected President if you weren't a Christian (maybe, maybe, a Jew could get elected, but even that's unlikely). There are towns in my state that mandate that every time a bar or liquor store is built, a church has to be be built as well. My city has two synagogues (one of which is in the rabbi's basement), one masjid (prayer room for Muslims who can't afford a mosque), maybe four or five Buddhist temples, a smattering of groups that meet in people's houses, and one hundred seventy churches.

10. hml8

jesus that's alot! ('scuse the poor pun)! I generally assume that people are agnostic and while they may claim to be Christian they actually just mean that they've been baptised or christened. but that's in an academic setting in south england generally speaking

11. Bolin

I get picked at for a lot of things... ._. My body (and unfortunately, I get picked at on the physical aspects I can't change... T_T), my good behavior, not eating enough vegetables, my soft voice, my height (I'm usually called a "Dark Mountain Giant" by family, although I personally do not believe 6'2" is an outstandingly tall height) and my psychotic, psychopathic rages (of course, they rarely happen and obviously, I don't get picked at when it's happening...it's always after the fact. :lol: ). I could go on and fill pages of other stuff, but I'll just stop right there.

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get picked at because I went from being christian to being atheist. Many people pick at me for that. I also have a speech problem that still come up when I'm tired (cannot say my r sounds sometimes) so I get picked on for that. I also get picked on for being an atypical female.

13. Gallatin

I'm most reluctant to speak about my religious beliefs (or lack thereof). People (especially religious people) always seem quick to judge about that sort of thing, from my experience.

I don't get picked on for a lot of things, but if anything, people sometimes give me a hard time for being shy and withdrawn. Also, people pick on me a bit because of my indecisiveness.

#13 Gallatin, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  14. Hexagon

Here we have an openly atheist deputy prime minister. WHAT? I thought the US was supposed to be a secular place. Doesn't that leave you with a few too many churches and not enough liquor?

15. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think in my hometown there are more bars then churches...

16. Mogget

Our government is supposed to be secular, the people definitely aren't. And the secularity of the government is not as pure as it should be. Congress still opens its sessions with prayers, many city councils open with sectarian prayers, a good portion of the country thinks that prayers should be publicaly recited every day in schools--led by a teacher, and most people won't vote for someone for any office who isn't Christian or Jewish.

We have courthouses that display the ten commandments, Supreme Court justices who claim the cross isn't a religious symbol, swear in our government employees with an oath that ends "so help me God" that you can't opt out of (I tried, asked to affirm instead of swear and was told I couldn't; I had to say the pledge exactly as it was written), give money to churches to do charity without stipulating that the money can't be spent on evangelism, exempt religious institutions from paying taxes without requiring that they ever be audited to see how they're spending their money, the list goes on.

17. FleetFish

In the little podunk town I grew up in, most everyone assumed that everyone else is Christian (or Catholic). If someone is not, it is an issue. I had a classmate yell at me for it in high school. WHAT?! YOU'RE BUDDHIST? BUT THE BIBLE SAYS...

Thank you to whoever fixed the title! (*hug*)

#17 FleetFish, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  18. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being disabled. Not so much now, but back in high school, apparently everyone thought I was faking it.
    Right now I think I'd be much more harshly judged for openly identifying as Christian than as atheist. (I'm neither.)

19. Lychee

I don't really get picked on for anything, but whenever I tell people that I've just met that I'm a Gender Studies major, I can tell that they are thinking something along the lines of "She seemed so normal, didn't realise she was a crazy feminist". Fun times.
    And for what it's worth, I judge HARD when I learn people are religious. For me atheism/agnosticism is the default.

20. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Usually because I'm a nerd. Honestly, I don't see why athiesm/agnoticism is such a big deal. I personally am a Christian and proud, but I won't judge you for not being one. It's your choice, just as its my choice to be one. As long as you don't mock me for my beliefs I'm fine with yours.