1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Be honest, does my singing voice pass?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GuardianKitten, Dec 20, 2011.

1. GuardianKitten

I normally don't draw attention to the whole "trans" thing, but yeah. Burning curiosity killed kitten.

The file should be attached in a zipped folder if I did this right.
    Edit: yay :3 /sucks with technology

Attached Files:

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can hit the notes, I just think you need to put more power behind them.
    I don't know if it was because of nerves or if you just weren't pushing them out very hard, but the notes were a bit shaky. :slight_smile:

3. GuardianKitten

So proof I'm shy about these kind of things, rather than outing myself?

4. Artemicion

I would agree with Nazo.

5. steel03

Are you asking whether the singing is good or whether you "sound gay?"

6. needshelp

this. kind of confused on what's being asked.

7. GuardianKitten

Pass = pass male.
    I was born female, I identify as male. I don't care if I sound gay, I just don't want my voice to out my sex.

8. Artemicion

Aaah, okay then I misunderstood. You would pass as a male to me.

9. steel03

You definitely pass as male! Don't even worry about it. The fact that none of us even realized that's what you were asking shows how well you pass!

Hey, in that case, I have a sort of related question. Do you sing in choir? (You should if you don't.) I'm just curious what part you sing or would sing, and whether it's changed. There's one FtM trans kid at my school, and I know he sang in a women's choir last year. I always thought that must be so awkward for him. I'm asking because I'm studying to be a choral director and I've been wondering for a while what the right etiquette would be if I had a pre-op transgender singer. I know a lot of conductors are very reluctant to have male altos or female tenors.

10. UnAmourFatal

Wow, that's strange :O I'm fairly new to the whole choir scene, and in my school choir it's actually the teacher who recommends some girls to sing tenor. I thought this was natural if they have somewhat deeper voices. She still wouldn't like me to be a soprano lol. Not that I'd like to sing falsetto all the time, but I do enjoy it sometimes, I'm gay or what :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. GuardianKitten

Yeah, i was actually grinnining when I had to explain :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Thankchu :slight_smile:

Not, because my school wouldn't let me switch to the mens section. The choir director would want to make use of "my full range" (which is pretty high >.>)
    when/if I go to college, maybe a different story.

It's not pre-op that affects voice, its pre-t, but I'd say as best as possible put them with the correct gender section. This *is* difficult if he's like, a soprano (and if there are any guys who are, you have sympathy that's got to be shit) but otherwise its not that hard to slip to highest section of mens.
    /not well versed in what it's all called, not lowering pride enough to ask little sister

12. ElvenVampiress

First yes, you would pass a s a boy but you have the potential to sound more full if you breathe with your diphragm and change the set of your mouth to be more long rather than wide. You can hit the notes, and you have the key, and a more than fairly decent voice.

13. needshelp

when i first heard your voice last night from the clip you posted as well as saw your gender in the stats you have listed, i thought you were a born guy. it surprised me that you were a woman though. you'll be perfectly fine. you don't have to worry about how you sound.

14. GuardianKitten

*facepalm* I'm not a woman. That's disgustingly offensive, you have no idea.

15. steel03

Sorry you haven't been in a good position to sing in choir. It's gotten me through a lot of seriously shitty days. Funny story, my choir director in high school actually asked me to sing first alto on one of our songs my senior year because I had the notes and we didn't have quite enough altos (but then we also didn't have quite enough tenors...). I remember being in choir in seventh grade and starting to be given lower parts even though my voice hadn't really changed yet, and how that felt a little uncomfortable at first. I still can't imagine singing anything lower than first tenor in a large ensemble. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    As for male sopranos... that would be tough in middle school, but they make BIG BIG MONEY if they go for it.