1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Went to a Funeral...as a man

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Blkrsn, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Blkrsn

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Recently, my aunt died. She died from cancer that had infected her entire body. She lives four hours away, so we all crammed into my parents tiny car to drive there.

I was hesitant, but the other day I had made up my mind. There was no way I was 'cross-dressing' and wearing a dress, the way my mother wanted me to. So I went out to a local second hand store, and bought slacks, a mens dress shirt, and loafers. When I put the outfit on, I looked like a man. Of course, my Mother was not impressed, but I did not let her know till minutes before we left for the funeral.

Everyone there thought I was a man. My parents kept trying to convince everyone that I was a girl, but some people did not believe them. When everyone was giving each other hugs ( we're a touchy family ) after the service, the men would do the 'man's hug' with me, which was the handshake, then pull in to do a one-handed hug thing. Anyway, it was amazing. It felt so 'right'.

After the service, the 'Celebration of Life' began, where the family and friends get together and socialize over drinks. I did not drink, instead I had coffee. Eventually though, I had to go to the washroom. I did not want to cause a fuss, because my parents were still calling me their 'daughter', so I used the woman's washroom. A little old lady saw me enter, and tried to follow me in, but I closed the door and locked it...

And apparently the lock was broken, because she kept trying to open the door. I had to sit there with my foot propped against the door to keep her from opening it. After I was done, I exited, and she was standing on the other side with her hands on her hips, and her eyebrow raised and said, "YOU went in the woman's washroom?" and I replied, "Yes... I did." She was shocked and walked away.

I was even able to stand at the bar with the guys and talk with them, without feeling 'out of place'. I am glad now that I took the chance and dressed the way I wanted to the funeral. It was a beautiful service. My aunt was religious, so I guess I can say that I can not think of a more beautiful way to send someone off to heaven. May she rest in peace.

2. J Snow

I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm happy you were able to express yourself at the service. You should be proud =)

3. Blkrsn

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    J Snow: Thank you! I know if she was alive, that's what she would have wanted. She was one of those people who always believed in being who you are, and expressing yourself, so it was also my way of thanking her!

4. Dewey

I know it sounds out of taste congratulating you for an experience at someone's funeral, but seriously, I'm so happy for you. It must've been a great feeling to be looked at as just one of the guys (like you should be). And good for you for being firm in you gender expression! It seems things are going good for you! :slight_smile:

#4 Dewey, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  5. seeksanctuary

She was probably looking on from wherever she is now (if anywhere), and laughing her ass off. xD

Congrats on being yourself!