1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you the only one in your family?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IanGallagher, Dec 23, 2011.

1. IanGallagher

I was just wondering if anyone else is the only LGBT person in their family.

Out of two brothers on my mom's side with a total of four kids, and two sisters and one brother on my dad's side with a total of six kids, I'm the only one who is LGBT. Only my parents know at this point. But, still wondering how they'd respond when/if they find out, since I'd kinda be an anomaly in my family. Unsure if they'd even know how to respond lol.

It would have been beyond awesome having a gay or bi cousin whom I could relate to.

What's your family structure like? Other LGBT members or are you the only one?

#1 IanGallagher, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  2. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

I'm the only one in my family too. My parents know, but neither of my brothers do, though I'm sure they suspect something. I've wanted to tell my younger brother for a while, but my older bro is super abusive and I have no interest in his antics if I said anything. I'm also mentoring a young guy who would be devastated if I shared this with him, but that's a whole other story. You know how it is; share with one trustworthy person at a time

3. Kev

Kev

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As far as I know I'm the only one. None of my family members know, however.

4. kris B

I think i am the only one too.

5. yeahyeah

yeahyeah Guest

I have one cousin that I'm sure he is gay but he has never admitted. My boyfriend told me that my other cousin maybe is lesbian, and I didn't believe him at first but after some things I watched I started thinking the same lol.

6. King Gandora

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think I am the only one in my family on both sides, but I question my older cousin who is about 38. My mom says he never found a wife but I question if he isn't gay and just chose a life of celibacy. Also my older brother knows I am gay.

7. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

Yep. I'm the only one. Well, my half-sister claims she's gay but she only ever sleeps with men and she has a boyfriend. I don't know.

8. needshelp

the only one in my entire family as far as i know. no cousins, no aunts, uncles, relatives, nobody besides me.

9. Artemicion

Yep...only one in my family. Only one on both sides of the family as well and...from what I know even further extending it out, just me still.

10. feverdreamt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As far as I know, I'm the only one in my family

11. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My cousin is (and it's her and her gf's 1 year anniversary today), and her mother is as well. My cousins dad is my dads brother, and my cousin and her mum are the only ones..

12. J Snow

I at least have no out family members. I have an uncle that has never been married or dated anyone to my knowledge in my 21 years of exist. I wonder about him sometimes.

13. Tiny Catastrophe

My cousin (well stepcousin technically) claims to be bi and she dated 1 girl a long time ago but my family thinks that was just an attention thing which I agree with. So yeah I would have to say I'm the only legit gay in my family and since I've always been the "odd" one in my family this won't surprise the ones who don't already know.

14. MadSeed

MadSeed Guest

My family is quite big (my mum had 5 siblings, my father has a sister and all of them had kids). But as far as I know, I'm the only one.

15. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as I know I am the only one. I don't think anyone else is.

16. Bedroom Hymns

Most of my cousins seem straight. I think one cousin (the only cousin I've come out to) is a lesbian though, she once told me she was but then backed the fuck out and said she was kidding. Maybe she was, maybe she wasn't.

Besides her, I'm not suspicious as to any other member of my family. I'm at least the only gay male.

17. Jim94

Im the only one , I think at least.
    I have a two cusins that I suspect but otherwise no.

18. Samadhi

Only one. I had a first cousin whom was single for a very long time, and wasn't overly feminine. However, she's now dating a very smart and handsome guy, so she's at least straight.

19. Fiddledeedee

I have more than 70 relatives on Mum's side, but to my knowledge I am the only one who is LGBT. My many cousins and I see each other for a few days every two years, and we have never all been together since I was eight. It could be that one of them is gay/bi and I just don't know it yet.

My older brother is, in his own words, apathetic about his sexuality, so I don't know what his orientation is and he doesn't much care about it. On the other side of the family, I have two uncles, one of whom is married, and one cousin who is about a year old. I refrain from speculating about the unmarried one, as what good would it do? I haven't seen him in years!

20. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Far as I know, yes.

Mum's side:

My cousin Anne is always dating boys. It never lasts very long, but she's only 16.

My cousin Christina has being with her boyfriend for like 3 years now, so its a fair guess that she's straight.

My cousin Jacob I have no idea about. Far as I can tell he hasn't expressed interest in either gender.

Then again, I only see them once or twice a year, so I can't judge.

I don't know any of dad's side of the family well enough to judge, apart from Nanna, his mother, and she is most definately straight lol.

None of the extended family knows about me yet and I'm going to visit Mum's family for a week over Chrissy... at least I don't have to hide in the closet at home anymore, though I'm not obvious about it, but I can stare at a girl if I find her cute... :confused: