1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cops just don't like me.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pace e amore, Dec 26, 2011.

1. pace e amore

I was walking around town like 15 minutes ago and this cop was just following me so i was getting nervous because i was on my way to buy some fine smokeables. Then he told me that he was following me because i was looking over my shoulder nervously and then he told me that it was past my curfew, so i told him i was 18(he thought i was 15). So i showed him my perrmit because my license still hasn't come in the mail and he thought it was fake so he made me put my hands on the hood while he ran my name through his coputer. Then he asked why the corner was cut off so i had to show him the yellow paper i got when i passed my license test. Then he questioned me on everything from why i was outside to why i was even in town. And now i'm too scared to buy because i know he's out there trying to get me (the evil bastard.:badgrin:slight_smile:<the cop.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like the cop was doing his job to me.

3. Bibliophile

I need to ask how so? I regularly look over my shoulder and around me so I can keep a visual of my surroundings. It may look nervous to some but that habit has allowed me to SPOT trouble starting and leave before I can get sucked in by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. If I was walking and spotted someone tailing me I would likely keep looking back to even if it was a cop. If I was detained like that I would rather annoyed to be honest. I am not sure if he meant cigs or not by "fine smokeables" but frankly looking around it not a reason for the police to detain you in my humble opinion. I didnt serve for 6 years overseas to watch cops abuse the power they are trusted with. Which it saddens me that I see them doing with an alarming regularity.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So the cop thought he was underage, and it seemed like he was acting nervous and watching for something. The first would violate curfew (and give him reason to question someone), the second could seem suspicious and would also give reason to question someone. Then, the ID looked a little questionable. All of those things would give him reason to ask some questions. But after a few questions, he let him go, so obviously he didn't really have it out for him, or he would have "found" some trumped-up reason to bring him in... which he didn't.

All in all, I don't think the cop particularly had it out for him, just was doing his job, saw something that looked questionable, and looked into it. Unfortunately, the people in this country have long since given up many of their Constitutional rights by allowing our elected officials to pass laws that restrict our freedoms. And the worst offenders are the generation now in their 20s who haven't done much of anything to protect privacy rights.

So... this is the result. Cops can do this and these days, it's considered "doing their job".

Honestly, in this country, citizens have pretty much come to

5. Bibliophile

Chip I agree on three things here:

1) The cop didnt really have it out for him.
    2) The cop was right to look into something suspicious.
    3) Its people fault that so many rights are lost because too few do anything about it.

However what I dont agree with was the detaining of the person. You see a stop and question is different then detaining him. Since he thought he was underage asking to see id was reasonable but once the id showed him that he was over the curfew age then he should have been free to be on his way. To have him put his hands on the hood while his name was run through the system was unreasonable in my opinion.
    Lastly I would NEVER move to a state or city with a curfew. I am sorry but that is the state taking over a job that should be best left for parents.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry - I DO think the cop had it out for him. But it's been my experience that the cops pretty much have it out for everybody. Being underage and "acting suspicious" just gives him a couple extra reasons.

You did the right thing, though. You answered all his questions - honestly or no - and got him to the point where he couldn't find anything to detain you for anymore.

Lex

7. NickT

If parents actually did their jobs then there wouldn't be a curfew law in the first place.

8. zealer

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks to the recently passed Military Funding Bill, the military can take you into custody without formally charging you with a crime, they can hold you without bail, you are not allowed to notify anybody you have been taken into custody, and you are not entitled to legal counsel. The police may not be the military but they are inky a step away. As soon as their interlocking procedures are in place, you won't have to wonder if they have it in for you.

9. Bibliophile

Yes and most kids are fat so should the state mandate what you can feed your kid or how many hours of exercise they get?
    Simply because SOME parents dont do what they should is not a reason for something like a curfew. I am sorry but while I would wonder why a nine year old is out at 1230 in the morning I can give more then a few reasons why a teenage would be out at that hour that are not bad and there is no reason that they should be bothered for it.

10. pace e amore

I assume you're referring to the National defense authorization act? I can't :***: believe it passed, welcome to nazi-america people. I'd love to stay but i have to pack my bags and get my ass to canada.