1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm full of heartwarming stories for ya!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, Dec 18, 2007.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printed...dad17dec17,1,6312451.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

From the Los Angeles Times
    Like fathers, like son
    A gay couple succeed in becoming fathers of a baby boy. Their quest for a child was chronicled in a Los Angeles Times series last year.
    By Jenny Jarvie
    Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

December 17, 2007

ATLANTA — At last, Chad and David Craig's quest to become fathers is over. They say they feel more happy, and more tired, than they have ever been.

The gay couple, whose attempt to create a pregnancy through a gestational surrogacy arrangement was followed last year in a Los Angeles Times series, welcomed their son, O. Jansen Hodge Craig, into their lives nine weeks ago.

"We just look at him and think he's a miracle," Chad said last week as he drew Jansen, clad in a snug jumpsuit, close to his chest. "It's something we just always believed in. Finally, he's here."

Chad and David's attempt to bring a child into the world involved a woman they barely knew. After fertilizing her eggs in vitro using both men's sperm, another woman would carry the resulting embryos to term. They had no idea whose DNA would carry the day.

Jansen's birth marked the end of a four-year journey that involved three egg retrievals, 65 eggs, seven fertilization attempts, three surrogates and more than $200,000 in expenses.

There were many ups and downs. In June 2006, Chad's sister, who had agreed to take on the role of surrogate mother, gave birth to twins, Asher and Holland. But the tiny siblings were premature and lived for only three and six days respectively.

Chad and David came out of that experience with enough hope to keep trying. They signed on with a new doctor, arranged for a third retrieval from Jessica -- the egg donor who had helped them produce the twins -- and found a new surrogate, a school crossing guard and mother of three from Massachusetts.

Finally, they had found the right components to make it work.

Jansen was born Oct. 13 at Massachusetts General Hospital, weighing 8 pounds and 2 ounces. When a nurse read out the time of birth -- 6:16 p.m. -- his fathers burst into tears. The time echoed the date of the twins' birthday: June 16.

Both Chad, 37, and David, 39, like to think that Jansen, who has a ski-slope nose and plump cheeks, bears a physical resemblance to the twins.

As for the identity of the biological father, they prefer not to know. Chad says the baby has David's chin and small nose; David thinks he has Chad's dark hair and olive skin.

As the new family settles in its Atlanta home, the surrogate continues to pump and freeze breast milk for Jansen. Each week she ships bottles from Massachusetts to Georgia packed in dry ice.

Other than that, Chad says, "we're just going through what all parents go through."

Jansen's fathers take turns feeding and changing him, fussing and fidgeting. Their favorite thing, they say, is to squat down beside his bouncy seat and caress his cheeks, tickle his feet and marvel at each small development.

Already, his blue eyes are becoming more gray, and his dark eyelashes are getting longer.

And he has begun to smile.

2. Alexander

3. Psychedelic Bookmarks

that is incredibly heartwarming. it's not impossible, folks! do you know, that using the same technology used in cloning, it could be possible to make babies with the dna of two fathers or two mothers? thanks for posting ^_^

4. Ty

Ty Guest

Becky, Stop tuggin' These ol' Heart strings of mine >.<! Seriously! People will start to think I have emotions *shifty eyes* :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. sdc91

Aww! That's cute. I want kids some day, too.

Keep them coming, Becky. They brighten my day. =)

6. Jim1454

$200,000!!! And that's before you start buying the little guy clothes at Baby Gap!

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Jim, I guess you can feel lucky to have struggled so long with your sexuality. Your kids were much cheaper. :slight_smile:

8. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

See y'all, Georgia isn't so bad. We have a few gays :thumbsup:

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    :roflmao: But how is Louisiana? My son is moving there!

10. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

I would advise your son to move to Atlanta if he possibly could, it's really the only major gay-friendly city in the Southeast (excluding Florida metros).

11. Kimi

Aww, that's so cute:slight_smile:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
    Well, at least he is not moving to Mississippi or Alabama:rolleyes:

12. sdc91

Louisiana isn't the best place. =/
    If you're not in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, or Shrevesport, you're pretty much in the sticks. Or swamp.

13. LorenzG1950

A beautiful story, Becky. A few more like that and I might even find the spirit of Christmas. :slight_smile:

14. lodiug

All I can say is awww...............

15. biisme

that's so awesome.

16. step49x

Ditto. I'm still not sure if I really want kids, but it's nice to know the option is always out there.