1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 Presidential Election Restrictions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Revan, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (This might not be where it should be, maybe Entertainment and Media or LGBT Rights, Topics, etc. But I'm posting this here for now.)
    So....Republicans are now pulling out all the stops to try and win the Presidency next November (2012). How you might ask? Oh just by maybe the most revolting thing I've read, by targeting and banning students from voting.

Full Story: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/opinion/keeping-college-students-from-the-polls.html?_r=2&hp&gwh

Excerpt:
    Fun huh? Good to see how much lawmakers are encouraging youth to participate. :slight_smile:

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's stupid. It's like when they silenced the black vote in Florida to let GWB win.

3. jargon

Hmm, Id challenge this a little bit. Nothing here stops young people from voting, it just makes it slightly harder. Students still don't have to travel to their home-state to vote, they just have to plan ahead a little and send away for an absentee ballot. In a way it makes sense because the census counts students as living in their home-state, not the one they go to school in (and the census data [in part] determines how many electoral votes each state gets).

I'm not a democrat, but I almost universally prefer the democratic party to the republican if those are the only two options. But objectively it makes sense, even if realistically it is only being brought up because it helps their party get votes :/