1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People don't recognize me anymore.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BudderMC, Dec 28, 2011.

1. BudderMC

I don't know if this is a good thing or not. I had to stick around for an extra year of high school because the guidance department had issues with my university application, so all my high school friends left without me. Granted, most of them now I haven't seen in probably 2-3 years, but it seems like nobody recognizes me anymore.

Even people I used to work with last year, and family friends don't recognize me. I went to my brother's high school graduation in November, and teachers from my high school don't recognize me either. Some of these are even teachers who were my "favourites"; they loved me and I liked them, plus we did extracurriculars together. A fair chunk of these people from high school are kids I've known (and was friends with) since kindergarten. Even some people from my high school who go to the same university as me (and probably see me walking by once a week or so) don't recognize me.

I know people change, particularly when you don't see them for a while. But I've seen some of these same people change their style, their hair, even one guy bulked up quite a bit... I didn't necessarily associate with them before, but at least I recognize them. It almost leads me to believe I made no impression on some of these people before I left for university. I was pretty active in the school community too, multiple clubs, pretty well in academics... I wasn't ever "popular" because I was dealing with too much personal stuff to do the social thing, but I was definitely around inside of school.

Now, half these people I probably don't want to talk to anyway. But still, when I go back to the life I had before university and see the people I DO want to talk to, it would be nice to be able to strike up the "I haven't seen you in sooooooo long, how's life?" convo rather than the "Yeah, the weather is nice... *awkward impersonal convo*", or even then "...wow, it IS you! You've changed so much! I didn't even recognize you!".

I'm sure most of this is because I've lost a lot of weight. But is losing weight and getting glasses enough to make me unrecognizable? I mean, my hairstyle has literally been the same since I was 2 years old. I walk and talk the same way as before, if not even more socially than before, making an effort to approach people. But it's awkward to approach someone you clearly recognize, expecting a similar reaction, and then seeing as you get closer you're another stranger to them, and then deciding whether or not to follow through with an awkward conversation or change your mind and bail on the attempt.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just well, awkward. And certainly was the last thing I was expecting to happen when I went to university. I was really hoping when I went to school that I'd come back with a new life (figuratively speaking), but I didn't think that was literally going to happen.

I dunno, has anyone else experienced anything like this?

#1 BudderMC, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  2. needshelp

yes, i can relate to what you're saying.

i don't want to come off as sounding insensitive or mean but the older you get, you'll start to see people do that often and eventually, you'll find out who cares about you and who doesn't care about you. another thing too, don't take it personal if people that you used to see all the time, say hi to, had conversations with who you happen to not see in a long while or whatever happen to not remember you such as teachers, classmates and etc especially teachers. teachers deal with tons of students everyday. a part of dealing with students comes with not getting attached to people. it sucks and it really does hurt but that's life. they MIGHT remember you, they MIGHT not but just because they remember you doesn't mean that they care about you. they don't hate you or dislike you but that's what people do. you'll have people that you used to hang with forget about you and people that you don't even talk to in school or spoke to going like "hi, i remember you. you were in my class" and suddenly, someone who you never even seen or knew in your high school or college years becomes your best friend. you gain some friends, you lose some friends. it sucks but it happens. don't let that bring you down.

i ran into a classmate in high school while i was on the bus heading home. the thing is high school for me was 7 years ago. i recognized him and i think he recognized me. he didn't say hi or anything like that. was i offended? no. why because that's apart of dealing with people.

#2 needshelp, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  3. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, try to see the good aspect of this, think of it as a fresh start. You are now able to find and be that person that you are without feeling conscious about past friends, teachers, or people that you knew. The times I wished I was in a new place where I was new to the people is countless. Don't spent too much time thinking of why those people don't recognize you. Perhaps is the weight that you've lost? I've lost 40 pounds myself a few years ago and people I knew when I was younger had trouble to recognize me too. So maybe might be that. A weight loss can change a person enterely. How much have you lost? And do you see yourself different from when you were in highschool?

4. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't speak for other people, but for me, I have "triggers". Specific things that I seem to focus on when it comes to certain people. Bob always wore loud clothes, so Bob sort of became the "loud clothes" guy in my head. When he showed up wearing a suit, I didn't recognize him. I didn't realize how much I did that until one day a woman came in to where I worked and said hello. I said hello back. She said "uh...it's me?" I sort of looked blank, so she went on. "...your SISTER?!"

Apparently, her "trigger" is her reddish-blonde hair, and when she wears a ski-hat...

lex