1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

University in America?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Azza, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Azza

Well recently I've been thinking about going abroad for university due to the massive cost of tuition fees over here. I know a lot of the people on this site are American and do go to university so I just wanted a bit of info... like what is it like socially? Which universities are considered the best and how much will it cost me? Any advice would be welcome :icon_bigg

Also if there is anyone who has applied for university in America internationally that would be helpful!

OH and please let me know about universities that would burn me at the stake for being gay, thanks (!)

2. FleetFish

This is just my experience and my general understanding, but any college campus (or even college town, to some extent) tends to be more liberal-leaning and accepting of diversity (at least in the US- I don't have much knowledge of colleges abroad). I have attended two colleges in Florida, and both were totally fine with GLBT students. I saw many students who were openly gay, with rainbow attire and pride shirts, etc. Earlier this past semester, I was walking through campus and a pride parade came marching across my path. It must have had at least several dozen students all marching and chanting together, waving flags. It was awesome. Both campuses I went to have pride clubs. The school newspaper covered several gay pride events, and I never saw any negativity expressed.

To be completely honest, I haven't encountered ANY negativity towards GLBT in my college career. Granted, I am sure it happens, and perhaps others have experiences in other areas of the country. But I can really say, as far as GLBT stuff goes, I have never felt uncomfortable or unwelcome at either college I have been to, at any time.

My best friend took a class on gender diversity, at the community college in Tallahassee. The teacher was a black woman who openly admitted to being pansexual. She had a shaved head, and my bffl described her as being pretty much the most awesome and nicest person ever. That's the kind of vibe we have here. :slight_smile:

3. Suracis

Suracis Guest

As much as most people would like all universities to be this way as FleetFish mentioned, not every university is like this. There are a select few universities that react negatively to LGBT students but those select few are sort of on the bottom of the food chain. Meaning that they don't rank as high as other well known universities in the country. As always, when applying for a university, it is best to look at the universities' websites and see what their culture is all about.

4. deepviolet

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I go to a small city college and have a tough time participating in lgbt groups. I am not out, the groups are small and clique-ish. I'm just looking around for a 'home' where I can talk.

5. catcherinrye2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Socially at my university, a lot of people are involved in our residence hall activities, as well as clubs and greek life. Some people are also very involved in community service projects. We always have some sort of recycling program or donation drive going on.

I don't know much about the LGBT group at my school, as I'm not involved in it, but they hold "Coming Out Week" every year, which helps make the community more visible on campus.

To find the best university, you might want to check out US News Best Universities Ranking.

Hope this helps a bit.

6. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here's a link that tells you some important things to look for when trying to find a university abroad>>> How to Choose a Good American University- Perception vs. Reality

And this website is very helpful in finding out what college you might want to attend. It will go through how much colleges cost, what location you might like, major programs, etc. College Search - Find colleges and universities by major, location, type, more.

Here's a list of the most accepting and the least accepting colleges toward LGBT students in the US. Princeton Review Releases List of LGBT Friendly Colleges, And Not | The Bilerico Project

You might stay away from the least accepting ones but there are many campuses that are accepting of LGBT students, especially those campuses in cities or liberal arts universities. Some have a more active LGBT community than others.

My campus is not very active but LGBT students aren't treated badly. I go to a small campus so it's different than the big campuses. Sorry for sending so many links, hope it helps some. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 30th Dec 2011 at 06:09 AM ----------

I wouldn't go to University of Kentucky or Notre Dame from what I've heard of them. Also some religious colleges are less accepting of LGBT students.

Certain areas of the country seem to be more accepting of LGBT students but often colleges are in college towns where students are more open-minded toward sexual orientation and all. I'd definitely look at their websites after narrowing it down a bit and see what their involvement on campus is like.

Do you know what major you're interested in?

7. Azza

Thanks for all the helpful advice :slight_smile: and I was thinking of doing a degree along the lines of biochemistry or molecular biology any suggestions on good science universities? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I was just wondering how people react to LGBT as I am planning to be out and it seems most will be accepting (!)

---------- Post added 30th Dec 2011 at 05:28 PM ----------

Oh and one more question what are fraternities and sororities?

8. steel03

Fraternities and sororities are what happened when God's finger slipped. Never ever go there. At one point, they were groups of young men or women who worked together representing a common goal or idea (and often also lived together). Now, it's an excuse to be an elitist drunk and annoy everyone else on campus.

There are so many schools in the US. There's no way to accurately give you a picture of what it will be like. I go to a small liberal arts school (2500 students) with a religious affiliation (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America; i.e. one of the sane Protestant denominations) in a small town (8000 people) in a scenic area (northeast Iowa). Music, biology, and education are the strongest departments. My choir is considered one of the best three or four college choirs in the United States, and probably at least one of the top ten or so college choirs in the world, which is a big part of why I chose to go there. I have never heard of, seen, or experienced any problems with gay-straight relations.
    What I'm getting at is that you'll be able to find the perfect place for you, but it may not be one of the first schools people mention when you ask. I would even go so far as to say don't apply to places like MIT, Caltech, Stanford, or the Ivy League unless you're absolutely certain that's what you're looking for (a brand rather than an individually tailored experience).

Okay, so the first step has nothing to do with your desired course of study. Where in the US would you like to go? Do you want a big city, a college town, lots of scenery? How do you feel about snow? Is proximity to coastline important? Are there amenities you think of as important? Are there any areas you'd like to avoid?

9. TraceElement

10. jargon

To be fair, not all frats are like that now. It tends to be the expectations everyone here has whenever we hear the word "fraternity," but there are quite a few that are actually based on acedemics, community service, etc. My university is known for being a "party school" and even still I'd say maybe 1 in 5 frats or sororities at my school are actually non-party based groups with valuable career or acedemic purposes. So I wouldnt immediately run for the exit as soon as someone uses that word.

That said, the above (the part about frats) is mostly correct in my opinion. At least be skeptical :wink:

11. FJ Cruiser

Wartburg? That's my mother's alma mater, and she had a great experience.

I'll just echo that the college/university experience here is so varied it's impossible to generalize. If you could give us some more specific desires, it would help narrow things down.

As far as Greek life goes, avoid the social fraternities/sororities like the plague. It's largely just an excuse for a bunch of rich dumbf***s to party and make connections so their work will never have to speak for itself. However, there are plenty of legitimate community service and major-specific fraternities that are co-ed, reasonably priced, and good for your career.

You mention cost as a motivation for looking abroad, but isn't tuition capped at like £9000 per year? That equals 14,000 USD and there aren't many universities that are that cheap (for international students, at least) here apart from community colleges.

12. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, it's a lot of money, but the US costs much, much, much more, from what I understand

13. Azza

I would like prefer to be in the New England area and I would really like to go to university in a city that is pretty vibrant and active as well I have no problem with snow and I'd like to avoid the south!
    Does it? Think it'll probably break out even, thing is I want to work and live in America anyway so having a degree from an American university would be very helpful and also I kind of like the idea of having an entire ocean separating me from my parents :grin:

14. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What's your budget for university? Depending on where you go, it can be extremely expensive or it can be not too bad. Also, you may be able to apply for scholarships. Schools often are excited to have students from other countries.

---------- Post added 30th Dec 2011 at 03:47 PM ----------

My college is about $7000 a year but I am in-state and I live at home. I went to another college that would have been about $12,000 a year but for out of state people it's like $28,000 a year.

15. Hexagon

I'm under the impression that uni is more expensive in the us than here

16. caughtbywitness

I'd quite like to do uni abroad too ;D

17. steel03

GROSS NO! I'm Luther blue to the core! Go Norse!

#17 steel03, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  18. Suracis

Suracis Guest

I definitely agree with how high tuition is in the United States. Undergraduate universities for international students range from $20,000 - $40,000 per year while graduate universities range from $40,000 - $70,000 per year. If you think it's worth the investment, then I say go for it. Just be informed that most of the people who request loans are unable to pay it back to the lenders and therefore default on their loans. Boy, I think I went just a little bit off topic...

19. steel03

Regarding finances, there will likely be very specific aid for international students at most of the schools you look at that none of us natives even know much about.

So you want a vibrant city in New England.... Obviously there's New York City, but I don't know if that's officially part of New England. Other than that, the big ones I think of are Boston, Massachusetts; Providence, Rhode Island; and Hartford, Connecticut. Then there are cities like Rochester, Buffalo, and Syracuse in upstate New York. I'd start by googling schools in each of these cities and learning about their programs and international student opportunities. I know there are a ton of fantastic schools in the Boston area.

20. FJ Cruiser

Bahahaha, I didn't know there was another Lutheran college in a small northeastern Iowa town. So much for assumptions on my part.:grin: