1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are You Spiritual?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by cub17, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cub17

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do any of you guys consider yourselves spiritual beings? What drives your spiritual life? What makes you tick? What have you found calls out to you? Please share :slight_smile:

2. Jonathan

Honestly, I am probably one of the least spiritual people that you will ever meet...

3. Hexagon

This. I'm a humanist though.

4. FleetFish

Beautiful and complex in my mind, but complicated to put into typed words.

I enjoy learning about different spiritual paths and I feel like I take a little something from nearly everything I learn about. However, I find the most peace in Buddhism, so I pull strongly from that. Mostly in terms of how to treat others, how to address life problems, etc.

I also enjoy a lot of pagan symbolism and some rituals, as well as some shamanic aspects. I have a spirit guide, and I look at creatures in a... spiritual way, I guess. I kind of view each of them as a little Buddha, from whom I can learn something. Animals are very spiritual to me.

I have these moments that I call, "I see god." It's the times that I see beauty in the world, I guess. When something catches my eye, I think that phrase, and I pause, and just sort of be in the moment and acknowledge what I am seeing. Each time I see a hawk, I pause and have a moment. If I walk by a graveyard, I take a moment to "see god" and think about life and death. Sort of meditative moments. I will stop what I am doing and just clear my mind while I look at something.

I guess I should also say, I don't believe in god in the conventional way. Or rather, I don't respect an ultimate being. My "god" moments are moreso just when I feel a connection to something greater than me, even if that "greatness" is just a connectivity to the larger world. I don't pray to "god." In fact, I don't really pray at all. But I don't think anyone is listening, anyway.

I also find music strangely spiritual.

Um... Yeah. I'm very, very spiritual. But it's complex.

#4 FleetFish, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  5. Alexandria

My beliefs are my own; I bow to no god/s, and if any god/s have a problem with that, I'll be happy to explain to them the faults of such. I think the major religions are malarky; I think there may of been ancient gods in along the lines of star trek or stargate; advanced aliens that decided to have fun with this primitive ball of muck. I think that its possible there's more to human spirituality than we know; but time will tell.

6. FleetFish

Yes, this, very much. What I was trying to say.

Just can't be coherent tonight.

Going to sleep now. Sorry.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to attend a united methodist church, but not anymore. I am currently trying to find something new to believe in, I realized that my beliefs did not fit. (I also accidentally came out there and people did not take it well.) So I guess this is a reevaluation period for me at the moment. I am also not sure that I believe in a god anymore...

8. Ridiculous

Me too. I'd much rather we took responsibility for our own actions - both the good and the bad, rather than believe that something behind the curtain is pulling the strings.

9. Alexandria

I'm not trying to sound overly b!tchy or harsh or such but - why bother believe in any god? Ill be the first to admit I've a very poor view indeed on such, but of what benefit is it? What will it do for you?

10. seeksanctuary

I'm spiritual, I guess you'd say. :] I have a belief system I follow, though I don't care to talk about the details at the moment. I dislike most organized religions, and I wish more people would put thought into a belief before they say they believe it, but eh... I'm not going to rag on anyone for what they believe unless it's harmful or it's a debate/discussion on the validity of a belief.

I figured I would answer this for myself... because my experiences in life have caused me to believe that there is "something else" out there, and while I won't say it's some All Powerful All Seeing god, I think it is intelligent and more powerful than I am. I have asked for help before, and have gotten it. ^^; To be frank, I have a pretty poor view on people who DON'T think there's something more out there, but I think it's to each their own in the end; we all have our own paths and reasons, and there's nothing inherently more right or valid about any one path.

11. Alexandria

Indeed; my experience is opposite - I don't get help. I get shafted. I do good, I get screwed. I help others, I get screwed. I hope for a chance, it gets taken away. I find the only way I get anywhere is to boot the bloody door in.

12. MommaFrog

I am very spiritual... I am Wiccan however, not Christian.

I'm actually a High Priestess, which is the equivalent of a preacher...

I dont like to go into details about my beliefs unless someone asks specific questions, so feel free to ask them...

13. Ridiculous

I think this is a very good point.. there are millions if not billions of people who pray, wish, hope or whatever you want to call it, and get nothing in return. You can be assured that the millions of people who have been murdered, raped, abandoned, mutilated and violated have prayed through their entire experience only to receive nothing.

To argue that there is a god is to argue that it ignores these people, and I don't think that is something worthy of worship.

14. seeksanctuary

Well, I sympathize... I had to boot a few doors in, and sometimes I still do. But my belief system encourages that, so eh. =P I left Christianity myself because no, I wasn't getting help there; I basically said "whoever the fuck wants me can have me" and... well, here I am now.

Personally I don't pretend that there is only one deity, or that any or them are all powerful, all seeing, all knowing or even all loving. Some people don't get helped. It sucks, and it's tragic; I myself was molested when I was little and have had bad things happen, and know others who have had similar things happen, so I can certainly understand the frustration and anger.

15. cub17

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Merry meet, Momma Frog.

I am a 1st degree in my local coven.

-------

Not that anybody asked lol, but I am a syncretist. Or pluralist. Or individual, I haven't that one out yet.

I am a Catholic, and I'm on the path to become a priest.

I am also a curandero in training. (curanderito lol) and I worship Santa Muerte.

I am Wiccan.

I have a lot of Buddhist and Rastafarian elements.
    Taoism did save me for a while.

I am not a big fan of militant atheism, but that being said, I'm not a big fan of militant anything.

16. subaru000

I believe in God, but not (mainstream/non-accepting to our community) churches. So in a sense, I am spiritual, but if I found a cool church, I would want to go to one.

17. cub17

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Someday all churches will be cool. Just give it a while.

When I am a priest, I'll be a maverick and clean up the homophobia lol.

I find it appalling that an organization that has a higher percentage concentration of homosexuals than the general population could be so primarily biased against homosexuality.

18. sanguine

i believe being spiritual makes more sense than being religious, there's no discrimination, and everything make's sense, even being gay.

19. Jonathan

(2:08-3:11) Oh, and I dont mean to offend any person with this video...so if I do, I just want apologize in advance because that was not my intention :slight_smile:
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o&fb_source=message[/YOUTUBE]

#19 Jonathan, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  20. Ridiculous

I certainly respect and understand your viewpoint. I'm not saying that some sort of supernatural entities don't exist. I just think it's very irresponsible of people to encourage prayer and trust in some god that, even if it does exist, doesn't produce any results in 99.9% of cases (and the other 0.1% being indistinguishable from coincidence).

But that obviously isn't your view so I have no problem with you :slight_smile:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.