1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay community is . . .

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by elohim2010, Jan 3, 2012.

1. elohim2010

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What is the "gay community"? What does the "gay community" mean to you?

Looking to see what other folks have to say . . . not looking for a dictionary definition, but looking for thought provoking responses, "philosophical" treatment of the topic.

Gay community means to me . . .

2. Rooni321

The gay community is not something I really...idk put so much emphasis into unless I'm at pride/a heavily lgbt populated area or somewhere where there are like zero gays and we need to like huddle together and make our own circle! Lol

3. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    The gay community... to me it seems like a sort of gay confederacy. What I mean is, whatever is said about "the gay community" can't really be applied to all gay people. All gay people are different, with their own interests, hobbies, opinions, religious/ political view, and such, we're really just people who are willing to put aside those differences and band together in defense of some common goals (ie "gay rights").

4. Beachboi92

Gay Community to me is a lot of things. First and foremost it is a family. We all have shared experiences and understandings unique to us as a result of being inside the LGBT spectrum and we are all effected by the way our society views LGBT people in a way only LGBT people can be effected because we are the targets of discrimination or un-equal treatment. I feel like i can walk up to another LGBT person, start a conversation and 9 times out of 10 their is an immediate sense of kinship, acceptance, and understanding.

Places like PFLAG meetings, LGBT community centers, and GSA meetings are like open arms to any and all LGBT people, offering a place where you don't have to worry about how you express yourself and don't have to feel like an outsider. In those places you are perfect, exactly the way you should be.

The LGBT community is a voice and a physical strength that can make drastic and amazing changes in our society. Think of how far we have come since the Stonewall riots.

It is love, acceptance, home, family, friends, safety, and so much more. Why anyone wouldn't want to be a part of such an amazing thing as the sense of community we as a group of people have created is beyond me.

5. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

i really don't know :/

6. Kidd

Kidd Guest

This. Couldn't have said it better myself.

7. stupidIvan

To me, the Gay Community is a group of people who believe in their own rights, who aren't afraid to pursue their own happiness, no matter what anyone says is socially acceptable. The Gay community is a significant pillar in my life, too, a constant light letting me know I'll never be alone in my struggles and hardships. I will always have someone to reach out to, that is the Gay Community to me.

It's nice, knowing that no matter how other people may turn a cold shoulder to who you are, there will always be someone with a shoulder to cry on, in the Gay Community. Someone who will never cease to understand my problems, and I, theirs in turn.

It's just a good thing! No, an AWESOOOOOOOOME thing! :::: )

8. Harve

The gay community is... non-existent to me. I'm not making a "omg I'm the only gay for miles and miles" whine, there are certainly some gay people around here, it's just we don't group together into a "community". True progress would be to mingle with everybody else.

That isn't to say I don't think that gay pride parades and sites like these are an asset - they're progressive and/or supportive, but I think it should end there. These directly tackle queer issues. I don't see why I hear of things like "gay swimming sessions" and the like. What on earth does being gay have to do with swimming? Left handed violin ensembles, anybody? Being gay should have as little relevance as that. The existence of things like these (I don't know of any myself, but I've heard some mentioned on this site) highlights a gulf between what should be an insignificant trait and the norm. And as for ######...

So in summary, I'm not a fan of the existence of gay communities simply because of how they're defined. It implies segregation. I'm sure many would disagree, so I'd love to hear the flipside.