1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Campus LGBT Groups

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by electrolicious, Jan 5, 2012.

1. I'm a sophomore in college, and I'm planning to join my school's Pride Alliance this upcoming semester (February). I'm both excited and nervous about this. I'm hoping that I'll be able to make some friends, and it'd be cool if I met people who are also trans like I am. I was in my high school's GSA, but found it a bit lacking in diversity. There were no trans people, like only a couple guys in the two years I was in it, and the rest were mainly straight or bisexual females. I have no problems with straight or bi females, but it would have been nice to have someone I could relate to a bit more. We also just sat around a lot and didn't have many activities or chances to get into the community, so that was a bit disappointing.

Anyway, for all of you college students who are/were members of your campus queer groups, I have some questions: How do/did you like it? Do/did you have diverse members? If you were part of a GSA in high school, is/was it very different, in either a good or bad way? Do you feel like your group is making or has made any accomplishments? Any other things you wanna share about it? Overall, have you had a good experience?

I'm just trying to get a feel for what it might be like, since I'm getting a bit impatient waiting for it to start up. I know that, obviously, all college groups aren't the same, but I thought this might be a fun topic until then. :icon_bigg