1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many of you were scared to tell your parents?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tdg2728, Jan 5, 2012.

1. tdg2728

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I know I was and I had a good reason for it. They don't agree with it, but I thought it was going to be worse and they would kick me out. To today, everything is getting better but for me I still can't be myself completely.

2. AS1989

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was just afraid of our relationship changing. I was very close with my mom, and I didn't want that to change. But I came out, ad it hasn't changed a thing :slight_smile:

3. tdg2728

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My relationship with my parents wasn't the best to begin with...I am or at least was a troubled kid...somethings have gotten better but it's not like I can really talk to them about the relationship though. :frowning2:

4. Flying Squirrel

I have never seen my dad cry and my worse fear was that coming out to him would be the first time... but when I told him, he did just the opposite and smiled haha

5. tdg2728

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am so happy that it turned out good for you. It is so difficult when things don't go right and how we would hope for them to go...even for my fiance her parents weren't the best. Her dad wanted to kick her out and they are ashamed and embarressed of her.

6. Fiddledeedee

I was very afraid to tell my mother – I had little idea how she would react. In the minutes leading up to when I told her, I was visibly distressed, with my breathing becoming odd and all. She didn't react too badly, but I'm still not sure if I should have told her when I did.

I haven't told Dad yet, but that's more to do with that I feel he does not need to know. I also know nothing about what he thinks of homosexuality, so I'll wait to come out ot him until I'm older.

7. tdg2728

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well at least now your mom now knows. With your dad, if you don't feel like telling him, you don't really have to. If you feel like coming out to your dad later on in life then that is ok too.

8. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Answer:

Everyone was scared.

9. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I really was nervous. Even though I knew my mom would be okay with it, I couldn't help but think that it's easier to be okay with something if you don't have to face it yourself. Basically, I was afraid that even though she supported it in general, she might be uncomfortable if she found out her son was gay. And it's not like you can "un-come out" to people. But, like I thought, she was perfectly okay with it, as were everyone else I told, so :slight_smile:

10. Bedroom Hymns

A little more than a year ago I was terrified. I felt dreadfully ashamed and embarrassed.

11. Luxord

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i never really told them... they kinda found out..
    my relationship with my mother isn't that great. whenever she talks to me it feels as if she means something else. we still get along, but i know that she will never accept me. my dad though seems unchanged. he avoids the whole relationship/sexuality talk.

#11 Luxord, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  12. tdg2728

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Luxord: My mom found out and it was just horrible...she told me I couldn't be this way and that I had to stop seeing who I was with. Of course being a teenager did I listen? no. My relationship with my parents is getting better but even though I'm 18 it is still hard. Like i'm currently trying to go seein my gf in colorado, but they are no..ur too young, u've never been on a plane...n it was like so? they become difficult when it comes to them dealing with that part of my life.... :frowning2:

13. Artemicion

Scared, certainly. After I told them? They both went into denial - my dad especially who now pesters me about girlfriends non-stop over the phone since he doesn't really live with the rest of the family due to other issues. My mother on the other hand kept thinking it's a phase and hasn't talk about it since, but she does try to understand it when she gets the chance like coming across a LGBT related article or radio talk show. But that's really hard since her range of media is limited to Mandarin...

14. Bedroom Hymns

I've realised that most people I surround myself with are cool and open-minded so I really had no reason to be as frightened as I was :slight_smile:.

15. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was really scared even though I knew they probably wouldnt care.

16. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew my mom wouldn't care about me being gay. I was still sort of scared to divulge that I was. She flipped when I told her I wanted to go off to California though, and it got worse when I told her I had come out to the entire world on YouTube first.

But yes, I was scared. Honestly who wasn't? Even to the most accepting people it is still a little daunting to do.

17. sometimesbetter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's the most scariest thing I've done in my life. And the sad thing is, it shouldn't have to be. The scariest thing in life should be to die or to contract an illness; not to tell your parents that you're the same person, except, instead of finding the opposite sex beautiful, you find the same sex beautiful. My parents don't like talking about it. When I bring it up, my mother wants me to just have an "open mind", in case a "miracle" happens. Today, she joked about me bringing home a girlfriend, to which my sister retorted and said "stop it", and my mom just said she was joking. Sigh. I don't know. I don't think she'll ever be accepting, but if she's loving, then that's all that matters.

18. ESevee

I'm very scared of telling my parents.

19. andersonh09

andersonh09 Guest

I still haven't told my mom, I don't know why I'm so scared about it though. I'm pretty sure she suspects it anyways and I know she'd be totally fine with it, both of us have a lot of openly gay friends. There's just a small part of me that think she'd feel differently when it's her own kid.

20. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was, even though my parents are supportive. I was just scared that they would react because it was their child that was bisexual and not some random person on tv or that they heard about at work.