1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The R-Word

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Colton, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Colton

So, I was texting a friend today, and we were calling each other names, just jokingly, and it was funny and such, until I got a text, and he called me a "retard." No I know he meant it as a joke, and didn't mean any harm by it, but I still think that that word is horribly offensive. I get so angry whenever anyone uses it, and sometimes, I even accidentally use it. I get so angry.

Anyway, what do you think about when people use the r-word?

2. Alexandria

There is a 'professional' use for the word retard - in the automotive trade (or other trades using internal combustion engines),when one sets the ignition timing of an engine, one has to advance or retard - bring forward or back respectively - the timing from a starting point to get proper engine performance. Where it originally stems from I don't know; but yes there is a technically correct application of the word.

Beyond that, I tend to think people are far too fussy about words; actions are more of a concern.

3. Mogget

I generally try to avoid offensive language when my intention is not to cause offense.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The term was actually a clinically and common-language used term in the 1960s and before to refer to developmentally delayed or cognitively challenged people. "mentally retarded" was a very common term, as was just "retarded." In fact, there were various nonprofit organizations that used some form of the word, and the store below was open and operating under that name until 2010. (It is now the "ARC Foundation Thrift Store.")
    [​IMG]

That said, "retarded" or "retard" in the context of something stupid or dumb is certainly offensive by today's standards. But so is "lame"... that refers to someone who is physically disabled.

I think it's one of many words or phrases that people use without thinking about it's connotations, similar to "That's so gay"

5. Emberstone

The funny thing is (we not really funny, but definately ironic) is that the kinds of people who used to be given the designation of 'retarded' tend to have far higher IQ's than the so called 'Normal people'.

When one part of the brain is under developed, other parts tend to be overdeveloped to make up for it. it is just that sometimes, the under developed part of the brain is a communication center, and so they cannot always easily express their pronounced intelligence.

6. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

... i don't like saying it, but sometimes it is simply just the only suitable word

let's say for my brother perhaps

7. Mercy

Mercy Guest

i hate the R word with all my soul

8. Emberstone

just tell him to 'stop being such a Palin.'

... it is very effective in most circles.

9. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

i actually LOVE my brother and we play around.... i do have a really hard time using that word and seldom do

10. TraceElement

For me? I know it can be used as an insult, and it makes me squeemish when people use it like that. On the other hand, it is also used as a "base word", if you will, for cognitive delays and diagnoses... mentally retarded and mental retardation.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "mental retardation" is no longer an acceptable term for cognitive delays or disabilities. It would be similar to using "Negro" for someone who is black. It was widely used 40 years ago, but not now.

12. starfish

Retard means to delay or to slow. So the word is correct in that usage. I use the word retard, but only in the correct meaning of the word.

13. query

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    same, sometimes i accidently say it but usually just use it as in somethings growth has stopped.

14. Porphyrogenitus

Except you're talking to Monty Python fans :icon_wink

15. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I don't like any words which relates to being stupid, like dumbarse etc

16. Bolin

I used to say it all the time, but I've made it a goal in recent to be as respectful as I can, even in everyday speech. Honestly, "retard" or "retarded" will slip out of my mouth (or fingers if typing), but I usually catch myself and take it back.

17. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A variation of that word that I heard on tv (which I've found myself using instead) is "fucktard". I suppose it might be just as offensive since the end part of that word is so similar to the original, but I don't feel as bad about saying it since people haven't used that particular word to categorize/slander a group of people. I dunno. Words only have as much power and meaning as people give them.

You could just use "shitty" or some other variation instead, since I don't think pieces of shit will be offended :icon_wink

#17 PerfectInsanity, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  18. AloneOutHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate when people use 'gay' or 'retarded' to describe what they disike.

19. AngelicDemonic

Also in music, same general idea.

It slips out far more than it should, i admit this. I do try to catch it before it comes out...

---------- Post added 10th Jan 2012 at 05:55 PM ----------

bachman, then?

20. KnightAssassin

Re - to
    Tardus - delay
    Latin: retardus - to delay.
    Music : to slow down.
    Slang : a perosn with a stupid action or choice of words.
    Only two of those of those are acceptable. Latin and music ( latin may have a irk but been a while since I studied / used it)