1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

this is terrible and wrong

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by live805, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. live805

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    okay, i know i posted this in my little coming out blurby thingie, but i thought i should post it somewhere else as well.

i was reading the yahoo news this evening and found this very disturbing article:

"Bush to back gay marriage ban amendment"

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer Thu Jun 1, 6:04 PM ET

WASHINGTON -
    President Bush will promote a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage on Monday, the eve of a scheduled Senate vote on the cause that is dear to his conservative backers.
    ADVERTISEMENT

The amendment would prohibit states from recognizing same-sex marriages. To become law, the proposal would need two-thirds support in the Senate and House, and then be ratified by at least 38 state legislatures.

It stands little chance of passing the 100-member Senate, where proponents are struggling to get even 50 votes. Several Republicans oppose the measure, and so far only one Democrat — Sen. Ben Nelson (news, bio, voting record) of Nebraska — says he will vote for it.

The Senate Judiciary Committee approved the amendment on May 18 along party lines after a shouting match between a Democrat and the chairman, Sen. Arlen Specter (news, bio, voting record), R-Pa. He bid Sen. Russ Feingold (news, bio, voting record), D-Wis., "good riddance" after Feingold declared his opposition to the amendment and his intention to leave the meeting.

Bush aides said he would be making his remarks on the subject Monday.

A slim majority of Americans oppose gay marriage, according to a poll by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press from March. But the poll also showed attitudes are changing: 63 percent opposed gay marriage in February 2004.

Those poll results don't reflect how people might feel about amending the Constitution to ban gay marriage.

The Massachusetts Supreme Court decided to legalize such marriages in 2003. A year later, San Francisco issued thousands of marriage licenses to gay couples.

This November, initiatives banning same-sex marriages are expected to be on the ballot in Idaho, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia and Wisconsin. In 2004, 13 states approved initiatives prohibiting gay marriage or civil unions, with 11 states casting votes on Election Day.

Bush benefited as religious conservatives turned out to vote and helped him defeat Democratic Sen.
    John Kerry in 2004. In Ohio, an initiative rejecting the legality of civil unions won handily. The same state tipped the election to Bush.

"The president firmly believes that marriage is an enduring and sacred institution between men and women and has supported measures to protect the sanctity of marriage," White House spokesman Ken Lisaius said.

Bush has lost support among conservatives who blame the White House and Congress for runaway government spending, illegal immigration and lack of action on social issues such as the gay marriage amendment.

Opponents of the amendment objected to Bush promoting a measure they said amounts to discrimination.

"This is fundamentally both a civil rights and religious freedom issue and the president's position of supporting amending the constitution is just dead wrong," said Barry W. Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State. "This is simply to give ammunition to the so-called religious right just to show that the president is still with them."

i hate bush with a passion now.

is there anything we can do?
    im not the best at getting this sort of thing done, but please, if someone can figure out something to do, then i will do it.
    this has crossed the line.
    i would type many things here, but if i did, i would probably be arrested.
    but, at the moment, i am to angry to do much more.
    so i have done my part.
    i want to do what is right, but i do not know what is right and wrong right now...
    i just know anger and hatred.

i

2. nisomer

Yeah ive read it...the most effective action you can take is probably by contacting your senator. BUT REMEMBER, do NOT use a harsh tone when speaking to him/her. You will not get anywhere with that. Tell him/her the REASONS why they should vote down the amendment. Tell them that it is pure discrimination.

3. chrisg

Sure, this amendment is horrible, but it will never pass because everyone realizes that it defeats the purpose of a Constitutional amendment. That is, the marriage amendment takes away rights as opposed to bestowing rights--amendments by design only do the latter! These right-wingers are just making a statement before Election Day.

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah... it makes for good fear-mongering in time for the election, a useful way to mobilise the unthinking hivemind fundamentalist Christian base that sadly makes up the bulk of voting Republicans in the US at present.

It's kinda like here in Canada where that fuckwit Harper campaigned on "re-opening" the issue of gay marriage. Even if he does (and recent reports show plummeting political will to do so), few people remotely believe it will end with the un-legalising of same-sex marriage. Makes for great press, though. Gods I hate conservative demagogues.

5. LorenzG1950

It's a travesty that Bush is still in office and this is a prime example of why. As Nk1114 already indicated, write your Senator and Congressman and tell them how disappointed you are in the Middle Ages posture that is intolerant of diversity in sexual orientation and then intends to pass a law to make the discrimination legal.

Just the attempt is already unconstitutional. You might want to add that countries like Canada, England, and Germany seem to have figured out that the "sanctity" of male-female marriage is not endangered if gays are given the same rights.

Yeah, it pisses me off. I used to think the US was a progressive and liberal country. Where the hell did it go? We have a good chance in November to win back the House & Senate which makes Bush the lame duck he should have been all along. Register & vote. And talk to those who can vote if you're not old enough to register.

Lorenz:eusa_booh

6. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Boy im glad to live in Canada. Bush should go have a heart attack so we can all have a great big party. I dont think the law or w/e will pass. Even if it does, hey you can always come over our way lol. Its all a load of rubbish.

7. chrisg

Since I turn 18 this month, I'll be able to vote this November. I'm so excited!

8. GuitarGirl1350

Isn't it the government's responsibility to protect all it's citizens? I don't understand why they're throwing such a shitfit over marriage. In my dictionary, I define marriage as a binding legal/religious and sacred contract between two loving partners. Whether they're male/male, female/female, or male/female. The beef that most citiziens have with marriage, however, is the term marriage. I know lots of people who support Gays but do not support gay marriage. I don't think this is right and I find it hippocritical- but that's my standpoint. The entire issue of gay marriage is ludicrious- why is it an issue in the first place? The tentents of America are liberty and justice for all. FOR ALL. Not for straight people. Not for white people. Not for christians or Irish or reblicans- FOR ALL.

i've always hated bush....and his views...

''"The president firmly believes that marriage is an enduring and sacred institution between men and women and has supported measures to protect the sanctity of marriage," White House spokesman Ken Lisaius said.''

So what exactly do you define as the sanctity of marriage? and furthermore, why can't two people of the same gender form an 'enduring and sacred bond'?

RAAAWWWRRRR!!!

with each day that goes by, I believe more and more that Bush should be assasinated...

heh...maybe not assassinated. But yeah. Maimed.

9. Merc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You know what's funny? You could force two (straight) people who absolutely despise each other into marriage, and it isn't considered mutilating the sanctity of marriage. But you get two completely loving gay partners, and it's disturbing the sanctity of marriage. Makes absolutely no sense...

10. Ginuwine

The funny part about all of this was when I was talking to my rather conservative uncle today when this came up on the news.

He said I'll be damned if anyone from the White House speaks of anything about sanctity of marriage, when over half the presidents in his lifetime have been cited for having affairs while in office.

I'm sorry, but I have real issue with the federal government ever talking about protecting the sanctity of anything, they should not be able to use the word sanctity when their daily work emerses their hands in secrets, lies, conspiracy, and affairs.

11. nisomer

something else thats quite funny...while the US divorce rate is at over 50%, the state with the lowest divorce rate is that state which homosexuals can marry--Mass. Ironic isnt it?

12. elandra

Lol and he is the one banging hot gay male models behind the scenes in the white house.

Maybe initially the illuminati only wanted to limit the pleasures of gay sex to their own people...

Or maybe the effects of heterosexual marriages and the negativity thereof provides the food for the reptile scum.

13. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I know this is a damned old thread, but I think dragging it up shows just how far we've come. When this thread was posted, only one state had gay marriage, gays could be kicked out of the military if discovered, and our "leader" was pushing to ban it in the Constitution. Now, 7 1/2 years later, we have 17 states with gay marriage, including fucking UTAH, a "leader" who at least says he supports it, the Supreme Court struck down any restrictions at the federal level, and gays can serve openly in the military. It's almost like night and day.

14. Fiddledeedee

This thread is indeed damned old (nice phrasing, Necromancer). Please check the dates before you post, peeps. Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.