1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is it too much?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Valeyard, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Valeyard

A phrase that is in support of diversity is "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion". Instead of saying "Ew. That's disgusting" to something like Bombay chicken, or a particular band, people say "Meh. Not in my tastes", or something along those lines. In terms of sexuality, people vary from "Not my taste", to "Ew. That's disgusting." Most LGBTQ supporters try to change these opinions, through pamphlets, or internet forums, or PSAs. A whole bunch of effort has been put into a sexual equality campaign, in one form or another. Despite all of this, there are still people who harass for anti-LGBTQ based reasons. There are people who are stubborn, for whatever reason, and don't change themselves. You can only throw so many pamphlets- When is it time to just leave them alone to stir in their own opinion, despite how much you may disagree with it?

2. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think trying to change opinions with pamphlets is a bit inefficient...you tend to preach only to the choir.

Rather, I advocate:
    (1) reminding them that (as you say) this is an issue of taste and that they should respect that this works for me, even if it wouldn't for them (some just haven't thought to apply that principle to sexuality); and
    (2) educate through example (my partner and I are out, functional contributors to society, and have a solid stable relationship that has outlasted many marriages...it's hard to look at us and apply silly stereotypes to us).

When an opinion I disagree with is aired, I will matter-of-factly state that I disagree and say why, but I (try my best to) have no need to fight most issues.

3. Valeyard

I only used pamphlets as an example. I meant to refer to the general spread of information.

4. Ridiculous

We should never let homophobia be. Even if our efforts will never persuade a homophobe, they should still be fought simply because these efforts affect a wide range of individuals outside of the core homophobes.

Things like PSAs, while they may be phrased to specifically target homophobes, do their actual work by influencing those that are on the cusp of homophobia, or entirely neutral on the issue. These people are a kind of silent majority, and they certainly shouldn't be left because you can be damn sure that the homophobes will (and do) try to convince them to start hating us and other minorities instead. If we get to them first then it'll stop new homophobes being created. We won't win this fight by converting them, it'll be won by stopping them from being reinforced and waiting for the existing homophobes to expire.

These anti-homophobia messages also have a very real effect on us. There are countless LGBT people in dire circumstances, who get hope simply from knowing there are people out there who are like them and are on their side. Even if this was the only effect of our efforts, then it'd still be worth it.