1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bye bye Harvard

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Miaplacidus, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't go. I'm crying right now. I can't even apply. The problem is, they require both SAT I and SAT II tests and the only test date is Jan 26th... but I can't take them at once. So, my friend Jim wasted his money and I wasted my effort. Someone kill me.

WHY DOES EVERYTHING HAVE TO GO WRONG FOR ME?????????

2. biisme

oooooooooooooo....i'm so so so sorry...

is there a chance that you can go somewhere for your freshman year, and then transfer after the first year (or maybe semester...) ?

**hugs hugs hugs**

3. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. biisme

i'm sorry. i wish there was something i could do to make it better.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We have a saying here: where there's a will, there's a way.

You've got the will.
    Find the way.

One suggestion: find someone to talk to (via e-mail) at the Harvard admissions department. Explain your dilemma, and ask for possible ways around this.

Lex

6. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just did. It's unlikely though...

By the way Lex, have I seen you on another site...?

7. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

are you sure that harvard doesn't accept January SATIIs? many schools do. and it is definitely possible to do all 3 required tests in one sitting, I did so with french, spanish and Bio. double check their deadlines for SATs deifnitely

8. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They do. The problem is, I also have to take the SAT I. And I can't take both SAT I and the SAT IIs at once.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I just did. It's unlikely though...

Well, how bad do you want it? :slight_smile: I quoted my father in another thread - "What do you want? And what do YOU have to do NOW in order to get that?" The two key words there are "YOU" and "NOW".

>>>By the way Lex, have I seen you on another site...?

Quite possibly. You'd have to add a letter, though.

Lex

10. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

oooh, yeah that could be a problem then. are you interested in any other schools? there are plenty of amazing schools that are essentially SAT optional, including many of the most selective liberal arts colleges. Middlebury, for instance, requires either the SATI or 3 SATIIs or the ACT.

11. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Fred

I'm not familiar with the US admission criteria so I can't really add much other than I'm rooting for you to get it sorted. Good luck (*hug*)

12. Louise

I'm in the same position as Bromptonrock, the US system of education is very different from in England. Since Jim was willing to pay can he not find out for you if they will accept SATII or allow you to take the exams separately in the circumstances.

If worst comes to worst there is still next year, if you can't get in because of the dead lines for 2008 try for 2009. A year can seem a long time but you have the whole rest of your life ahead of you which would give you plenty of time to sit the SATs. Try to put some perspective on this to take some of the stress off.

Again as someone said, does it have to be Harvard? Could Jim find another school for you? Sometimes we can't have what we want and we have to make concessions and take the second or third choice but this is not the end of the world, it's life.

Hang on in there :kiss: :kiss: (*hug*) (*hug*)

13. Jeimuzu

I was gonna offer the same advice as Lex. :slight_smile: Email people involved in Harvard, ask them about it.

Otherwise, Louise offered a good bit of advice - standing out for me was: there's always next year. Couldn't you get one of them this year, the other one next, and then go? One year isn't going to be a real issue, is it? Just get a job or whatever to pass the time, even earn a bit of money to save up for when you do go. University gets expensive, I must say :wink: Wish I had a bit more cash.

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or apply for 2nd semester admission, starting January '09. That'll just push the start process back about four months, and give you some extra time to earn some cash.

Lex

15. Tom

Tom Guest

yeah i agree with the idea of applying for 2009 or later, that way you do have a chance to get your money sorted and you can do all the exams you need aswell and make sure u r ready for em with the extra revision time=]

only downside i could see to this is the time scale, you are likely go forget afew things between now and then so revision would definetly be important.

and Fred ur an intelligent guy, this is quite aparent when any1 speaks to you so speaking to sum1 at harvard could prove to be an amazing thing as they may make an exception, tests after all are just a few hour long things where u write down what you know, if they see that you know ehat ur talking about then they may make it possible for u 2 do what is neccessarry esp seein as how determined u r!

:kiss:

16. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

is harvard the only school that you're really thinking about? I mean i know it has the big name, and I'm actually applying myself, but to be honest the undergraduate college at Harvard doesn't really offer the ideal experience in my mind, simply because Harvard's graduate programs are HUGE.

17. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing is, Harvard is the only one I know of which offers financial aid to international students - including full tuition if I'm good enough and poor enough. I have zero money.

18. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

i would have said that princeton has even better financial aid than harvard. the have an overall smaller endowment, but a much smaller student body and in turn they spend more on each student than any other university in the world. I have a friend who has travelled to kenya every summer all expenses paid by princeton. they have similar testing requirements however... :frowning2:

19. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah... same plus the TOEFL test. Even worse.

Seems that I'm not going anywhere due to the SAT thing. If I want to go somewhere I have to wait till next year and lose a year of college.

20. Jeimuzu

I know someone who is a genius, pretty much, who started Uni the same time I did, yet he's twenty-six. Another guy I know who has been coding since he was in single figures of age is in the same boat (second year) and he's thirty-seven. Another one, who actually graduated from school two years early, he was so clever, has only just started and is currently a first year at the age of twenty-four.

Losing a year is irrelevant. I'm the freak case, actually. Finding other people in my year still in their teens is rare. Quite often, I feel I'm not up to it, quite often I wish I'd waited a year, so I'd have a bit more time to prepare myself, to go through some parts of life earlier so I'd not have everything thrown at me at once.

Losing a year... utterly meaningless in the scale of things.

So, now you know, why don't you get yourself that test, revise like a crazy dude, pass with flying damn colours, and send Harvard an email saying "Regret needing both tests now, bitches?"

Maybe leave out the Bitches part.

Then you get a job, keep revising in your spare time, practice, practice, practice, try and find out what you'll be doing when you do get into Harvard, do some of it to get ahead, work work work, get a job, get money, work work work, save up, have a little fun, do the second test, go to Harvard, and party like a loon.

There you go. All planned out :wink:

#20 Jeimuzu, Dec 21, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2007