1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hair tips

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ESevee, Jan 14, 2012.

1. ESevee

Okay so I want hair tips. Growing up a guy there weren't many hair tips going around. I want to grow my hair out but I can't even get it to grow farther than an inch past my ears. I can't really do anything with it that I know of. My hair always feels dry and it's definitely not soft.

I seriously look at my hair sometimes and think something crawled on top of head and died there.
    Help Please....:help:

2. BluestBlue

What colour is it? What sort of shampoo do you use? Do you use conditioner? Then there are dying possibilities if you want to change it! And they usually have a softening element in them if you want to go down that route.. tell me everything darling! x

3. Ridiculous

^ profile has pictures

Why can't you grow your hair past your ears? I'm assuming it's not a biological reason, because hair just grows regardless of how long it is, so it shouldn't just stop once it gets to ear length.

Your hair will sort of flick out weirdly as it does grow past your ears, but that's because there isn't much weight in it and the end get pushed outwards. Once it gets a bit longer, the extra weight will pull it down straighter and allow you to do more with it.

As for softening/moisturising your hair, conditioner is good as BluestBlue said.

4. BluestBlue

I like your hair. :slight_smile:

When considering styles you should think about face shape/what suits you/what you really want. You have a round face and symmetrical features and growing your hair too long would hide your jaw line!

Suggestions, but in dark brown on you x

[​IMG]
    to v
    [​IMG]
    then v
    [​IMG]

pretty hair :3

5. ESevee

Dark Brown. I have Head & Shoulders for Dry and Frizzy Hair.
    I don't know my dad and my mom can grow there's really long but mine gets to one length and then stays that way. I just want it like shoulder length and not really sure about changing the color right now.

And thanks for the style options.

6. waitingfordawn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If you want to grow your hair faster, vitamin supplements like folic acid are said to help. I've yet to try this, but the next trip to the drugstore I'm buying it because it apparently makes your hair grow faster.

The biggest tip I can give you is to not wash your hair every day, which might seem contrary to what some people say. But it's so bad for your hair, SO bad; it strips away the natural oils that your hair needs and thus your hair become greasier faster because your hair needs those oils so they get produced faster. You need to give your hair at least two/three/even four days between washing so as not to strip away those good natural oils. If you know you don't have to leave the house for a while... let it go a week or more without washing. :wink:

Use castor oil on your scalp (massage it with the oil) to promote growth as well as on the tips to seal the ends. I use the Hollywood Beauty brand, it's fantastic and pretty cheap and will last you a while. Leave it in for 2-4 hours or overnight for the best results. Make sure to wash it out after, of course.

Moroccan oil is also really good for your hair. I use the shampoo and the conditioner and it makes my hair so shiny and soft and it smells SO good. It's like someone said to me--"it's like perfume for your hair." It's quite expensive, though, and for a cheaper option that's also good for your hair use Head & Shoulders shampoo (even if you don't have a sensitive scalp like I do, the pyrithione zinc in H&S is good for your hair.)

Deep condition your hair, at least once a month, especially in winter. I also recommend the Moroccan Oil brand for this. I recommend Moroccan oil for anything hair-related, though. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Don't use heat too much on your hair (blow drier, straightener, curler). Of course, I'm totally guilty of this, because my hair gets frizzy easily so I like to blow dry it, and since I've cut it I have to style it every morning so I always take the straightener/curler to it. I never should have chopped it off; now that it's short and I'm trying to grow it again, I know I shouldn't use heat, but I do. I can't avoid it! Avoid it if you can, of course, and if you can't then at least use a spray to protect your hair from the heat.

ETA: As for your hair not growing--your hairs all have "terminal lengths." At one point, they'll just stop growing and won't until your hair changes. Apparently, your hair changes every 7 years--so at age 7, 14, 21, etc. your hair changes and grows anew, or something. I'm not sure how to explain it--but that's what research shows. Since you are 20, your hair may have reached its terminal length already.

#6 waitingfordawn, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  7. Ridiculous

Each individual hair follicle goes through the different stages of growth/regeneration at different times. The anagen phase (where the hair grows) lasts for between 2 and 7 years for follicles on the scalp, which means each individual hair grows for those 2 to 7 years continuously (which should make it much longer than your ears, at a minimum of about shoulder length and a maximum of about knee/ankle length - also depends on how fast your hair grows). After this is goes to the dormant catagen stage, then the telogen stage where the hair falls out and a new one is produced.

Obviously each individual follicle is at a different stage at a particular point in time, or else we'd all go bald every 2-7 years when it came to the telogen stage :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. When one hair is at the telogen stage and falling out, the one next to it is probably half way through the anagen phase and half-grown.

Hair on the rest of the body has different lengths for the anagen phase compared to the scalp. This is why our legs only grow a short length as they are only in the growth stage for a short time.

I don't know of any cases where someone has a very short anagen phase that would cause them to only get to ear-length, although I'm sure it is a possibility. How fast does your hair grow?

#7 Ridiculous, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  8. ESevee

My hair it usually takes two months to grow to ear length

9. Pinstripe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm currently trying to grow my hair out from having a pixie cut, so I can definitely understand your frustration. I don't really know why your hair wouldn't grow longer with patience, unless it really is so dry and brittle that it keeps breaking. As mentioned, washing your hair less would probably help with that. I've heard that massaging your scalp will stimulate the follicles and help your hair grow faster, so I've been doing that.