1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

abstinence only policies facing rejection in 14 states!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by surfrboykai, Dec 22, 2007.

1. surfrboykai

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/15/AR2007121500773.html

thank god. seriously. do i believe abstinence should be taught as an option? absolutely. however, it should never be taught as the only option. teens need to learn about the various ways to protect yerself. a lot of teens at these abstinence only schools end up pregnant or with an STD because they're not taught about their options

2. sdc91

Thank God.

My 7th grade health class was abstinence only (the teacher mentioned condoms once, for about 20 seconds). Not that useful to a lot of the students.

3. surfrboykai

it's not. i believe that it should be taught to teens not to have sex until they're ready, be it at 15, or when the get married. however, they need to be taught about condoms, birth control pills, STDs. abtsinence only doesn't teach that.

4. Ty

Ty Guest

In my school, they didn't even mention condoms because its a "Catholic school"
    And when the sex health people came in, they handed around leaflets about condoms and when the school found out they kicked the health people off the grounds and demanded all the leaflets to be handed in.

"Okay miss, I won't educate myself. Oops got gonorrhea!"

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You are absolutely right! Kids need to learn about safe sex practices AND they need to learn about homosexuality also! Imagine what it would be like for you guys to hear in your school that homosexuality is a natural variant of human sexuality. It could potentially save alot of mental suffering and suicide attempts.

6. TriBi

Agree with Becky.

...And - let's face it - surely no surprise that abstinence wouldn't be popular?...

7. step49x

I know they talked about condoms and STDs and stuff, but abstinence was definitely the main thing preached in my hs health class.

One thing I'm wondering about, does anyone have a list of the states that are currently rejecting the money? It didn't list it anywhere in that article.

8. Tom

Tom Guest

we were taught about condoms and stds and tht in year 6, they got to us before we started having sex and because of it we al knew about msot of the things and they did all wear condoms so i think tht it shud be taught. it works =]

9. surfrboykai

that's how it was for me, and that's how it should be. granted, my parents have been talkin to me about condoms since god knows when. i think both parties must be responsible and talk this, and other things (not just sex related) over with childrens

10. step49x

You mean, you want p-parents to actually t-talk, with their c-children? Isn't that what school and TV are for, so parent's don't actually have to do any of that messy stuff?

11. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Did you know that girls who take abstinence pledges are 6 times more likely to engage in oral sex and 4 time more likely to engage in anal sex than girls who do not take the pledge and get proper sex-ed..

As Bill Mahr said:

The Republicans have created an entire generation of apple cheeked young girls telling their boyfriends: "I'm saving myslf for Mr. Right.....fuck me me in the ass"

12. surfrboykai

because they're, in a way, being taught that oral and anal don't count as sex.

13. step49x

Which, if that's true, is just sad... Well, I can see how some people might not consider oral the same as sex, but still, it is...

Hey, so according to that definition, gay people never have sex! Hmm...

14. surfrboykai

lemme clarify what i meant haha. it's not like they're all "oral and anal isn't sex, go have it!" iirc from the news special i saw (one of those watched "news magazines" on tv) they specify sex as being vaginal intercourse, and if you have vaginal, yer no longer a virgin, and thus, no longer pure

EDIT: everything else, such as oral and anal, isn't sex, but sodomy