1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel so rejected....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dictionary, Dec 22, 2007.

1. dictionary

ok so i decided i would lose all of my dignaty and i aplyed at mc donalds to get a job but then they rejected me whitch is even worse....

So now i am like desprate for a job not just looking for one but desprate for a job so i need some help making my self sound better on my resume how exactly do you do that efectivly...?

2. surfrboykai

brah, a job is a job. use it until you find a better one, yah?

3. dictionary

But the thing is i dont have an original job....

4. paul7836

Do you have any family friends who are managers/high up in companies? It is usually best to get a position created for you, instead of applying to Mc Donalds. You might be able to get a job doing something you do well on a consultancy basis. And Relax, you are only 15.

5. dictionary

Oh btw im not actualy feling rejected.....

All of my family and most of my extended family are school teachers....Meh ill just mooch of them for a while longer :slight_smile:

6. step49x

Don't forget, you're 15. I don't know of a lot of companies that hire a lot of 15-year-olds. Or anyone under 18, for that matter...

I'm sure that doesn't really help you, at all...

As far as your resume goes, have you been involved in any clubs? Have you been in a leadership position in any clubs? If so, you could put that down. If you've ever been in a position of authority, that would be good to write down. I was also a Boy Scout, which I'm sure didn't hurt, at all...

Do you have something specific you want the money for? Or are you just wanting a job, in general?

Best of luck to you at finding one.

7. CrimsonThunder

:confused:;;

McDonalds denied someone for once? Thats a rare occurance.

8. SkyTears

Most of the time when a place like them denie someone it's for the fact that they don't need anymore workers at the moment.

9. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

It would depend on the country's child labor laws. For the most part in the US the age of 16 is the norm for a number of low tech, low level jobs. You being 15 might have an influence on being hired or not, don't really know. But just because one place turned you down doesn't mean you should give up, keep applying and if you keep getting turned down, ask for the reason so it can be corrected.

10. CrimsonThunder

Its 13 in Australia.

11. CelebrityHead

15 years old in Victoria, any younger and they need a permit to work.

12. Micah

This.

13. CrimsonThunder

What kind of permit?

(Victorians and your strange ways...)

14. CelebrityHead

15. Hollywood

hahahahah. i'm not laughing at you, i'm laughing at the idea that mcdonalds is pretending they have standards.

seriously? they'll hire the guy at the drive through that speaks maybe 5 words of english but they wont hire you? seriosuly, mcdonalds?

16. Jeimuzu

It's a way of agreeing. It's like saying QFT, I think. Happens on another forum I'm on, anyways... which is a little odd, because that forum is specially for Teesside, and Micah is Aussie. I'd always thought it was one of our little traits because I never saw it elsewhere.

As for the job thing.. I'm nineteen and I don't have a job, and never have (except working for my dad in the electrical safety industry). I really need to get that sorted, but since I'm intending to have a placement by June, I'm not too worried.

17. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The best thing you can do with respect to your resume is to get someone to review it who either has experience getting hired or has experience hiring people. Writing a good resume (and cover letter, those are crucial too) is a really, really valuable skill and most people's resumes are crap.

Another good thing is to practice being interviewed... like get someone to pretend they are hiring and ask you hiring kind of questions so you can get experience presenting yourself well. That's another thing that many people are crap at but again, these are things than can be learned so even if you don't feel very confident at the moment, you CAN improve things.

If you want to PM me your resume (without your contact info and name) I can take a look at it and try to give you some pointers. But it may just be what others have mentioned, your age. If there's not a lot of demand for work in your area and you're as young as you are, gettting hired can be pretty tough. As others have also mentioned, the best jobs are usually ones that you find out about from people you know, so basically if you are serious about finding a job you want to let all the people in your life know that, and in your case especially your parent's friends (because it's less likely people your age will have jobs or be "plugged in" to the job grapevine).

Are there jobs around like delivering papers or low level stuff like that? Babysitting? These are the "typical" teen jobs but they would look good on a resume compared to nothing at all. Plus they both pay.

If you can manage it, you REALLY want to avoid McDonald's. I worked there when I was your age and it's not all that great. Are there other fast food/restaurant places around? In the restaurant business, they often hire younger people as dishwashers. Not very glamourous but again, it pays. Plus you get your foot in the door.

18. CelebrityHead

Lol okay, I've never heard that before... :slight_smile:

19. sdc91

Macca's is still a decent job. It's actually quite hard (esp. hard for the pay you get).

Good luck with your job hunting!