1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian fashion sense: stereotype or truth?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Curly, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Curly

I read the thread on gay fashion sense and I thought I'd start one for the other team.

Are gay gals as bad at fashion as the sterotype suggests?

I know labels/sterotypes arn't all that useful or nice/polite ... but they are kinda fun sometimes ...

2. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    STEREOTYPE.

I consider myself as having really good fashion sense. Though, I don't directly identify as a lesbian (Look this way <---). I think that fashion sense and sexual orientation have nothing to do with each other, personally, and I find it offensive when people tell me things like 'You dress really straight' or 'Maybe you should dress gayer'.

Once someone actually said 'You're really pretty for a lesbian.' She didn't mean it in a mean way but I was a little bit put out because who said that lesbians have to be ugly?!

3. maverick

I wear threadbare jeans (the same four pairs over and over until one of them dies and has to be replaced), a chain wallet, a steampunk messenger bag, various ballcaps with weapons research and development logos on them, and snarky tee-shirts like these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tend to wear dark colors like black, gray (my favorite!) and navy. If I had to describe my fashion sense, it would be "Joker Moreau". I don't think I have a bad fashion sense, just a very utilitarian one. Stereotypically butch though.

*shrug*

4. Vesper

First racial stereotypes, now lesbian stereotypes...

I don't think I have terrible fashion sense, unless what these people mean by "bad" fashion sense is not dressing in a feminine fashion. I like wearing jeans, khakis, polos, t-shirts, and sneakers, and I try to avoid clothes with female-oriented designs or embellishments (sequins, frills, lace, stuck-on plastic "jewels", etc.). Dresses, high heels, and makeup I would wear only if forced to by circumstances. No earrings, bracelets, or necklaces, though I will wear the latter two if they have personal meaning to me (i.e. my parents or friends gave them to me).

I'd say I'm pretty good at color coordination and have a decent eye for style (just ask my parents). I do care that I don't go out looking like I'd dressed with my eyes covered.

#4 Vesper, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It may be a stereotype, but every lesbian I've ever met or worked with freely admitted that they were much more comfortable in jeans and t-shirts (or, to get even more stereotypical, jeans, flannel shirts, and work boots) than in slacks or dresses. Of course, there are plenty of "lipstick lesbians" that defy that stereotype, but I do think there's some validity to it. :slight_smile:

6. maverick

Er yeah, I forgot to mention flannel shirts and work boots.

Guilty.

(Also the Peppermint Patty chunky lesbian sandals. For summertimes yo!)

#6 maverick, Jan 27, 2012
  7. Curly

HAHAHAHA :eusa_clap ... I appreciate your enthusiasm!!

8. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jeans, T-shirts, Vans. Basically my entire wardrobe summed up there. I've worn a skirt once in the last year, and that was for a costume.

9. TeddyJavier

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'd say its a stereotype, but also all stereotypes are based on some sort of truth.

10. Vesper

Of course stereotypes have their origins in fact. This particular stereotype about lesbian fashion sense has more questionable origins, because (and this is my opinion) many lesbians choose to dress in an androgynous or masculine manner, which for some equates to them having bad fashion sense, as if choosing not to dress how a woman is "supposed" to dress makes them have bad fashion sense. Conversely, it's also a stereotype when people say that lesbians "should" dress in an androgynous or masculine manner, which results sometimes in lipstick lesbians being assumed to be bi or straight.

Dressing well and having good fashion sense does not (or should not) have anything to do with the supposed masculinity or femininity of the pieces that one's wearing--it means caring about how one presents him/herself, which entails assembling well-coordinated outfits, choosing outfits that flatter one's body type, etc.

So in short, this stereotype has little to do with real facts, because fashion sense is so subjective.

#10 Vesper, Jan 27, 2012
  11. Tiny Catastrophe

Well I guess my girlfriend and I would be considered "lipstick lesbians" so I think it's a stereotype.

12. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it is a stereotype that isn't always true but sometimes is. I don't wear flannel or boots but I do wear Converse, jeans, and t-shirts. I hardly ever wear dresses or heels.

I dress more fashionably than I used to. Not in a girly girl way, but in a vest over a nice shirt kind of way. I absolutely hate shopping so I guess the stereotype might be true for me. I have never really cared about clothes. I don't notice what other people wear. You could ask me what you wore 5 minutes ago and I'd have no idea.

13. Beachboi92

i know so many lesbians who dress amazingly… most of them are butch… i wish they where boys

14. Rooni321

I call bullshit! There are so many lezbos with swag!

They're swagtastic!

Well until we get old,
    but that pretty much goes for almost everyone though haha

15. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also I know a lesbian girl at my school who dresses really fashionable.

16. Aya McCabre

I have more clothes than fit in my room, so I'm going to say no to that.... the pictures in my album on here are fairly typical.

17. LisforLisa

I wear a lot of florals, heels ,dresses, skirt pretty much I dress really feminine. I hate converse I'm okay with flannels. I don't dress like the stereotype.

18. Deaf Not Blind

i know some guys i wish were girls. great souls, great personalities and minds...but wrong parts.

---------- Post added 9th Jun 2012 at 11:23 PM ----------

ahem...not a lesbian...i know 2. one adored the stereotype, been out 1 year now, and she assumes flannel signifies lesbian....or even a plaid shirt. thus i will never wear one again.

the other is our mutual friend, and although she had a short haircut and boyish style clothing, i saw her in a pix in a black cardigan with white flowers...made me look twice, she was pretty.

i know gay people seem to seek ways to tell potential friends bf/gf they are gay by dress or mannerism, but i kinda wish ya didn't...cuz i prefer everybody to have the full clothing range as option and not worry abt getting an erroneous lable if they put it on.

19. BleedToLoveHer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I wear my Nike's and jeans that are usually too long for me because I am so short. Sweaters, collared shirts and colored wife beaters are great for me. I'm pretty clean cut and consider myself to be pretty trendy actually. I have days where a floral dress feels best on me. I find a lot of the lesbian fashion sense to be true. Around here anyway. I'm sooo attracted to adrogeny (I probably spelled that wrong as my computer highlighted it) dressing.

20. secretguyX

Some lesbians are fashionable, and some not so much. Depends on the person. So I'd say it's somewhat of a stereotype...

On an average day in summer, I dress in flip flops/sandals, jean shorts/skinny jeans, and a (feminine looking) tank top/shirt. And I wear bracelets, necklaces, earrings, rings, etc.... I don't often dress in heels/dresses, but I absolutely love when I do, and I wish I got to dress up more often. So I don't think I really follow the stereotype...