1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Degree Project (Thesis) help

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by zzzero, Jan 29, 2012.

1. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone!

So, I go to school for Graphic Design and I'm working on my degree project, which is one big semester long project that we take from start to finish.

I'm planning to create a website (however it might also be expanded to other media) where people can share their stories of different things that happened to them. It will also include things related to the topic you're looking for.

Basically, I want to make something where people can read about other people's experiences to get a feeling for what they might have to deal with. My hopes are that by allowing people to take a look at someone else's life, people will better understand one another and therefore decrease discrimination.

Obviously, this project is greatly inspired by my coming out experience and this forum! I'm just on the researching phase right now, and I"d love any help I can get!

What are your thoughts on this? What would you like to see? How could this help you, and how do you think it could be used to help others relate better to you?

It would be my dream to somehow appeal enough to biggoted people to get them to read the stories (which is why I want it online, and somewhat anonymous). I'm just trying to get people to relate better to one another.

We form biases and discriminatory opinions because it is easier to see other people's biases than our own. (People can only see eachother how we interract with the world, but individuals don't see their own biases because individuals are the only ones who know what their thoughts and feelings are without having to articulate them to others.)

So what do you think?

2. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I've got this correctly then the website is people writing their own stories about their experiences which they can categorise by topic.

So if I were to go on it and look up coming out, I would have loads of person coming out stories people had posted to your site, or if I were to look up any given topic I would have peoples experience of that topic right there to read.

and if I've got that right then it sounds great.

3. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly! I also want to kindof make an archive of experiences, so not only personal stories, but maybe even recommend films, books, and other media on the topic as well. SO if you go on looking for coming out stories, you get all the coming out stories people have posted as well as a list of all the books, films, and other media where characters come out of the closet.

4. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seriously though, I need some input.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Taylor, this sounds like a fantastic project!

You might consider some sort of hybrid between stories and perhaps some video clips. Particularly if you are appealing to the bigots, one of the things that might affect them is seeing short clips of very ordinary looking people that most would have no idea are gay or lesbian, simply telling their stories.

Likewise, stories (video or written) that describe the same stereotypical "straight" things that ordinary people do, but are done by gay people, tends to break down the stereotype that we're all a bunch of sex-crazed drag queens, or lesbian lumberjacks who have never worn a dress in their lives :slight_smile:

One of the greatest way we change people's minds is by confronting their stereotypes. Perhaps you could solicit input (or just dig through the EC archives) and come up with common objections that parents or friends have when people come out to them:

--- You'll be promiscuous and die of AIDS
    --- You must have been sexually abused
    --- (if you're a guy) you'll start wearing dresses
    --- You can't possibly know because you haven't had sex with (opposite sex) yet

and probably 3 dozen others I can't think of right now.

6. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The plan is to have a large database of links for people that include video, audio, movies, and anything else we can find that relates to the topic. So say if you search for coming out stories on this website, you'll not only find written stories but video, movies, and anything really. Not art, or anything that's subjective. I want this project to stay away from being subjective as much as possible.

7. Gallatin

I just thought I'd chime in and say that this sounds like an awesome idea!

8. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! Have any ideas? What kind of experiences would you like to read about?

9. Artemicion

Oooo this sounds like a very good idea. Hm...as to what kind of stories and how to organize things... I'll have to think about it...if I think up anything I'll let you know :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Greenly79

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Debunking the myths about different minority groups is a great idea. And in the interest of constructive feedback (I opted out of a thesis in my master's program, but edited a lot), it may be difficult to reach your audience because people with these prejudices would be more likely to seek out groups that endorse their own views rather than those that conflict with them. A good angle to increase your traffic might be to promote the site to individuals that want to educate people in their lives about the issues that they themselves are facing. They can refer those people to learn more on your site. It also may help to link to credible sites/research articles to support the perspectives/claims of people that post on the site in a separate section. Google Scholar is helpful, and a lot of peer-reviewed journal articles are available for free. Hope that helps!

#10 Greenly79, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  11. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Greenly! Great suggestion! That was one of the big problems I'm working on. How to get people who aren't so open-minded to participate in the site. I will definitely take your suggestion into consideration!