1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nationalism and Patriotism?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DarkClarity, Jan 29, 2012.

1. DarkClarity

With the recent debates about Scottish independance, I've been thinking about nationalism and patriotism and how it can influence an individuals identity. So I was wondering if anyone would care to share their views?

Are you a patriot? Are you proud to be British/American/French/German/Australian?
    Does nationalism or patriotism influence your identity?
    Do you have views from a philosophical perspective?
    Do you think that it is all just rubbish?

2. FleetFish

Honestly, I feel like it negatively divides people. I wish we could all just be united as people, rather than "us" versus "them."

3. waitingfordawn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's all about identity, for me. I used to ID as Canadian but then I decided that I don't like a lot of things that Canada stands for and that I prefer to ID as Quebecois, since our culture is distinct from Canada's and is just as valid as a nationality. I've lived in Quebec my whole life, so I see no need to ID as Canadian.

It's funny how the Quebecois/Canadian identity, sometimes conflated with the French/English identity, divides people. As someone who predominantly speaks English, I somehow "can't" be Quebecois, only predominantly French-speaking people "can" ID as Quebecois, and I "should" ID as Canadian. :dry: Of course, it's not that cut-and-dry, but that's how a lot of (English-speaking, Canadian IDing) people see it, even if they can speak French as a second language (and most of us do.) Honestly though, my dad's American, and my mom's Quebecois, so I don't see a reason to ID as Canadian, nor do I want to.

Nationality is something that's really important in Quebec, especially with the us versus them mentality when it comes to the Quebecois/Canadian identity. Personally, I think Quebec is distinct as a nationality, and it should be treated as such, though a lot of people think it's the same as Canada. Nationality may cause unnecessary strife, but it's important to people, an important part of their identity. It says something about a person on how they choose to ID in terms of nationality, and identity is something I hold extremely close to me (which is probably why I overreact when a part of my identity is flat out wrong, or not the way I thought it was... like when I figured out I wasn't straight, finally. :eusa_doh:slight_smile:

4. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

i am somewhat nationalistic as an american, however am greatly ashamed about the depth of deception that goes on in government and on an individual basis. it is also frustrating how people can be extremely complacent and i appreciate the occupy wall street movement just for the mere fact that people are waking up

nationalism impacts my identity and i can see it most clearly outside the U.S. where lots of people hate us americans lol

in my opinion, anything social/cultural effects identity and anything personal effects culture, whether you sit in your room and choose to not go out or if you are out every day. both effect society. russian philosopher, Lev Vygotsky had perspectives on this which are fascinating.

organic rubbish is always good fertilizer

5. OhCrap

OhCrap Guest

It's perfectly fine as long as it doesn't involve sticking up your nose at other nationalities. I live in Canada and therefor have to deal with the French complaining about the English and the English complaining about the French(it's not just the Quebecois who speak French here, BTW).
    If somebody says 'I like being one of those!' there's always someone around to 'Screw you I'm the other!', even if that first person was only saying they liked their culture, not necessarily that the other was bad.

Don't even get me started on the whole 'Canucks versus Yanks' debate...

6. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've had a lot of anger toward America for a lot of my life. I'm not "proud to be an American." I think I'm lucky to live in a society with all that the US has but I've never identified with being American. I prefer the world as a whole. I used to refuse to say the Pledge of the Allegiance. I burned a small flag once because I was so angry. I haven't kept up to date with the Scottish news so I'm not sure if this relates at all. Some people feel more nationalistic/patriotic than others. I have never felt much pride in my country other than the day Obama was elected. The pride only lasted a while.The dislike for US government has effected me through my life I think.

7. Emberstone

your asking us a question about two words that do not have a definate definition. There is no way to define patriotisem or nationalisem, because both are abstract things.

its too emotional of a question.

I love my country, but dont think Facisem is a permissable form of governance, so I am distinctly anti-right wing christian theocracy, but to a fundementalist right wing christian, they would view patriotisem as the belief that God has deemed Americans to be better and more beloved than all people, and so a mandate of God exists to do whatever they want, which is not uncommon among the religious right wing.

both views contradict each other, and theres no way to define one as better than the other.

8. DarkClarity

Thanks for sharing your views everyone.

9. Hexagon

I'm def not a patriotist. I hate my government.

As for scotland, I'm concerned that if they leave the rest of the UK will have a permanent Tory majority, *shiver*. But I have nothing against them leaving if they want to.