1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are all Christmas reactions the same?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Steam Giant, Dec 24, 2007.

?

Are all reactions to opening Christmas presents the same? (see thread text)

1. Yes.

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No.

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Steam Giant

Have you ever heard it said that there are some questions that have only one answer? For example, a significant other asking if they look attractive, or if you love them? No matter what, your answer should be yes, or there'll be hell to pay. Or a parent holding a broken sculpture up to a child, asking, "did you break this?" Whether the child did or not, the answer is very likely going to be no.

I think the same applies to opening christmas presents. When you open a present, the giver of the gift watching your reaction carefully, how do you react if the present is something you dislike? Do you try your best to look happy, telling yourself over and over again, "it's the thought that counts," or are you honest with the gift giver, letting them know that, while you appreciate the gesture, it's not something that you can put to good use?

In short, similar to the situations described in the first paragraph, do you believe that all reactions to Christmas presents should be the same? That the one receiving the present should act thrilled, regardless of what lays beneath the wrapping paper?

2. Steam Giant

In my experience, those giving gifts get themselves worked up for days, or even weeks, months...however long they're holding onto your present for...in anticipation of what your reaction will be. Anything other than an ecstatic expression is disappointing after so much anticipation. So I think this is another one of those circumstances that has only one response: that of excitement and gratitude.

3. xxAngelOnFirexx

i say yeah and its the part i hate most about christmas. my mental disorder won't let me feel certain emotions so EVERY time i open a gift i must fake a reaction because even if i totally love the gift i seriously cannoit process the gratitude emotion. it makes birthdays sux too.

4. CrimsonThunder

Of course you should be happy no matter the gift.

(I'm pretty sure I was thinking about this the other day, if someone gives you a present you should be happy and say thanks no matter what it is, just like if someone gives you a complement you should say thanks and not say that they're wrong, just like you shouldnt say "I dont like this present".)

Today I got an Iron Maiden DVD from a family member, being an Iron Maiden fanboy I've already got them all =P But I still said thanks but I have it already and they're going to swap it for something else. So theres always that option!

5. Jerr

Gag gifts are the only one that geet like REAL reactions from me. I HATE surprises.

You're expected to be like YAY but it is so hard to do under pressure and really mean it.

6. Ty

Ty Guest

Reminds me of when kristina got me a CD which i thought was radio head (read the label too fast) and i go *aww thanks, you got me a radio head CD* and she goes *urm....tyrone....its not radio head?* (awkward silence)

luckily, it was the top hits on radio 1 and all of the songs are my cup of tea so i really appreciate it =]

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    This all reminds me of Ralphie in The Christmas Story when his Auntie sends him the pink footie bunny pajamas! :roflmao: