1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching license to another state

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pikachu1, Feb 1, 2012.

1. pikachu1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How do I go about changing my license to the state I live in? I went away to school in Wisconsin for a year where I got my drivers license. Since I am home now in Illinois I want to change my license to an Illinois one. My driving instructor and the DMV guy that I took the test with bth said all I have to do is go to the DMV and they will change it. The thing is I kinda looked online and people are saying I would have to redo everything. I hope I dont have to do that since it would be a huge hassle and annoying since I dont even have a car to retake the test if I needed to. Also my drivers license from Wisconsin is a probationary one since Im a new driver. How will that affect me changing it over?

2. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

just go to the DMV and ask. it is likely transferrable, but they'll know best. :slight_smile:

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every state I'm aware of recognizes an out-of-state license, but requires you to take the written test to demonstrate familiarity with their laws. Only exceptions are where age restrictions differ. If you have a license at 15 in South Dakota, you still have to wait until 16 in California, for example, or if one state gives an unrestricted license to 18 year old drivers, but another requires you to be 21 for an unrestricted license, you'll be subject to the new state's laws.