1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Username Question.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Trixxster, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Trixxster

So, I'm interested in knowing how everyone came up with their username, since I've seen some really interesting ones.

Did you come up with it randomly just so you could join, has it been with you for a long time or did something special inspire it?

I'll go first. I've had my username for 3 years. When I was a book crazy twelve year old, I read a fiction book with fairies and the goddess fairy was named Bellatrixx. i fell in love with the name. (And later found out their was a character in Harry Potter with the same name and then Twilight got popular, so it was a bit of a misleading name to have, especially since I don't particularly like Twilight or Harry Potter.)

I had RPed a bit in my younger age and the other Rper's called my character Trixx.

Later my friends and I decided to create a fic just for fun where we could be whatever we wanted. I was a thief and a trickster, so then I thought of Trixxster as a play on words and it's been with me ever since.

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

It's my name. Not all that exciting, but I put my experience as an admin of this site on my résumé, and my old username has some history behind it that I wouldn't necessarily want an employer to see (nothing overly embarrassing or anything like that, but something I wouldn't want to want to explain in an interview), so I changed it to a more professional one.

Regarding the old one: I signed up for this site before the personal information ban (i.e. the big red rule on the top of every page) went into effect. I think (but I'm not sure) that having an EC username that was the same as your username somewhere else wasn't a big deal back then because someone being able to contact you off-site wasn't a big deal then. But it is now, so that change was a long time coming, anyway.

3. Vesper

Chouchou is the transliteration of 蝶蝶, which is one way of saying "butterfly" in Japanese. It's also the pet name for composer Claude Debussy's daughter, and a word that means "darling" or "pet" (in the sense of "teacher's pet") in French.

I chose it mostly because I like the sound, but as for the meaning, I prefer to think of it as stemming from the Japanese meaning and the pet name of Debussy's child, and not from the French usage (though Debussy might have chosen it for its meaning...I have no idea).

#3 Vesper, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  4. starfish

5. Phospholipase is an enzyme that cleaves phospholipids. My favorite one was phospholipase c, which cleaves PIP2 into DAG and IP3.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I use this name for all of my anon accounts. I started using it on an old email account (which is no longer active) and since then I have used it in various different formats. Sometimes with dashes and underscores and other times with a different number at the end. It is different in one way or another on each site. (I really don't use the other accounts much anymore so..this is the last place it is active at.)

I came up with the name since I liked cats and the year I happened to use it was 2006.

Really creative right???

#6 BradThePug, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  7. Bosco

Hi! My name is Bosco! :slight_smile:

8. SagaciousNJ

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    There was a character named Sagacious Tien in a video game, I took the first part and then just personalized it.

9. Eric

It's my name. Boring reason, huh? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Queeran

Queeran Guest

Just a play on my name which is Kieran. :slight_smile:

11. TraceElement

At the time I created this account I felt like there was no one who was like me, that I was one of those "trace elements" that have like, a total population of 4 atoms.

12. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kerze is german for Candle, I got it from a series of paintings of candles by Gerhard Richter, one of which is on the cover of Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth (one of my favorite albums)

13. Fiddledeedee

I'm named for my dad's two cats, Fiddle and Dee. Dee used to be Deedee, but then he grew up. Oh well, they're both still adorable. :slight_smile: I can't find pictures of them online without joining Facebook (which I'm too lazy to do!), but they both look very much like the cat below, right down to a spotted nose – it took us ages to be able to tell them apart!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/Black_and_white_cat-crop.JPG

14. vyvance

I take the medicine vyvanse for adhd. I changed a letter and bam... new username.

15. Shebbs

My friend randomly came up with the nickname Shebbs. My name is Shelby. Nickname started out at Shebby. Then we mixed my other nickname (Shelbs) in with it so I got Shebbs. Lol. People still mostly call me Shebby though...

16. Rinamir Mortem

Rinamir Mortem is the name of a character I developed as I wrote a novel about a race of Liches who sought to over throw the hegemony imposed upon them by a more powerful race. Naturally, Rinamir was the leader and I'm a slight megalomaniac. As such, this username has become my general Internet alias.

17. AuburnOctopus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My friend calls me the octopus because I have dreadlocks (she is the walrus lol) and I have dyed them red. Only came up with this name when I joined here :grin:

18. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    It always takes me forever to choose a screenname. Basically, my SN is a reference to Boktai, an awesome video game in which the main character is called Solar Boy Django. So I took Solar Boy and replaced "Boy" with "Cat" 'cause I luffs teh kittehs.

19. BroadwayDreamer

Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm a huge Broadway freak, and I want to be an actress, sooooo. . . .
    SHAZAM!
    Insta-username!

20. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Um, I'd have to it was kind of always their, my closest friend calls me Ace, I guess it is because I have always been in love with card tricks...and the Ace of Spades is the first card in a classic deck of cards, also the design of it has always stuck out to me so I geuss that is where the name "Ace" came from. (17 is my age so that was easy.) :grin: