1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Frustration about LGBT Groups

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bosco, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Bosco

Just wanted to get this off my chest and see if anyone else feels the way I do.

I've been making an active effort to join the LGBT groups at my university and also in my city, but so far the majority of their events are very much so about sex. I mean, I understand that, at the end of the day, being homosexual (or bisexual or transexual etc.) is about... well sex. But I just find it so awkward and uninviting.

I'm kind of looking for a place to meet people and get to know others in the community. And I just can't see myself being comfortable about doing that while playing bingo with dildos or making homemade sex toys y'know? Sure, maybe after I get to know you guys better, but definitely not something I want to do with strangers.

Compounded with midterms and assignments, I very rarely (if at all) attend events and I feel like I'm stuck at a stand still. I want to take the next step (or couple of steps) into being an active part of the community, but I'm finding it difficult to do so. And it's not even because of my reluctance to be out (surprisingly!) :eusa_doh:

2. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aaaah!!! I know what you mean!!! Except that, in the LGBT society at my uni, it's not so much the sex as the stereotyping that bothers me. I mean, you'd think that LGBT people OF ALL PEOPLE would understand, but apparently not - it's all the butch girls and sluts that are in really tight cliques and they have absolutely no interest in anyone else. I find it impossible to gel there and have, quite frankly, given up.

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I'm with you. One of the most annoying things is when every single event has to have some sexual content to it. Its old, tacky and it gets boring after a while. I do enjoy a lot of the events and they do have their place, but you also have to have some variety to it.

Those events are like that for a reason, though. The people who are in charge of the club like those events so you can't really blame them for planning them out. What you can do, though, is try to get more involved in the leadership of the club. If you don't like how things are being done, then someone has to change it :slight_smile:

If you don't think the club at your uni is doing enough or you aren't able to change things a bit, then go ahead and start a new one! You are not going to be the only one complaining about this, but you might have to be the only one with the drive enough to do something about it.

4. Hazel

I was planning to check for one, myself, but this is a little discouraging. Worst comes to worst, there might be another person who feels a little out of place in it that I can hang out with.

5. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, I've definetly noticed that within LGBT groups. It is one of the things that really does annoy me about such societies, and I've made a strong effort to stamp it out of my Uni's LGBT group whilst I've been running it. I pretty much cut off all ties with the other local LGBT societies which are only interested in drunken nights out and 'pulling', and those who have tried to use the society for only that purpose have moved on now that they're not getting their own way. I've been accused of being prudish by people within the society because of my stance, but I'm far more interested in having a society that welcomes people and allows them to actually relax with other likeminded people, rather than a group of people who befriend others whilst having ulterior motives in mind.

That's not to say I suck the fun out of everything thoughhh. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: There's also another person who runs it with me who deals with the night out events etc, so it accommodates everybody that way rather than simply allowing it to be dominated by sex pests. I much prefer the support element to the society and arranging events where people can just become friends without having to think about sex. Those who don't want that can go and entertain themselves in other ways. :slight_smile:

6. fiddlemiddle

fiddlemiddle Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well if your experience on an LGBT at an university or youth group in your area is basically about sex and getting drunk and your not happy about it , then find some one such an LGBT sporting group or welfare group.

#6 fiddlemiddle, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  7. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

this is all so refreshing. thank you all for your comments!