1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

heterosexuality in the Super Bowl commercials

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mnguy, Feb 5, 2012.

1. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Seriously, every other commercial during the Super Bowl had scantily clad women in it. I'm fine with that, however, I was thinking about it. None of the holier-than-thou groups (fof, afa, cwa) will complain about them, but if even one commercial had two guys as a romantic couple aired, you know they'd be in an uproar. One reason they don't mind sexuality of this type is it helps train their young sons to desire the beautiful female body. Yea, as if that's how kids become straight. I guess we'll see if any of those hypocrites say anything about the commercials, but I doubt it.

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember something about a Doritos commercial last year...
    Even Googling "gay superbowl commercial" turned up a bunch of "banned gay commercial" results.
    Also, we've had Madonna this year and last year was the big "Post-Superbowl" episode of Glee, if that counts. One step at a time. :grin:

3. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I remember one commercial a few years ago of a hot guy walking down the side walk and all the woman started following him, then he walked past Carson Kressley and he started following him. Can't remember what it was an advertisement for I guess it's something.
    Although I don't watch football so what do I know.

4. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, I'm not saying there should be gay commercials (althought that would be great), just pointing out how much heterosexuality there is on prime time TV yet those groups don't complain about it. They'd say that something as innocent as two guys holding hands is shoving homosexuality and "our lifestyle" down their throat and they'd demand a boycott of the company being advertised. Yet big breasted women thrusting their bikinis toward the camera is fine.

5. starfish

There was a homosexual theme in one fo the commercials. It was the Camary ad, where they made everything better. The guys walks in there was a bunch of bikini girls on his couch. Then there is a bunch of scantly clad guys on his couch, and the guys says alright or something like that.

I am curious to see the response to that. It got a lot of laughs at Buffalo Wild Wings.

--edit to add. Found the ad.

[YOUTUBE]Toyota Camry 2012 Big Game :60 Commercial - It's Reinvented - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

#5 starfish, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  6. FleetFish

"The reinvented plant. It fights crime."

That made me laugh WAY harder than it should have.

7. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And there was a David Beckham underwear commercial - surely gay men were at least somewhat a target audience there :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

8. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

speaking of the superbowl and madonna's halftime show, i haven't seen that many scantily clad young men in gladiator outfits since my dream

9. RedState

Ummm....I hate to point out the obvious....but the gay community is not a targeted group for the Super Bowl.

Push back from conservative family groups really have nothing to do with what ads are shot, or shown or whatever. It's not about "the gay thing" it's about demographics..and the majority of the targeted audience for NFL events, especially the Super Bowl, are not homosexuals...and they make ad buys and write ad content accordingly.

10. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

i dont think that was mnguy's point, i think his point is that these loud groups, who always cry immorality towards anything gay-related, dont say much of anything for the gratuitous premarital sex and promiscuity on display in these types of commercials.

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In between the commercials we had big bulky guys in tight white pants grappling each other and wrestling each other to the ground, and halfway through, Madonna showed up and sang. Maybe the commercials were to offset all that.

Lex

12. RedState

Actually they do. "Focus on the Family" and other such groups have been waging a war against "main stream" TV...promiscuity and overly sexual programs and ads for years.

13. Mogget

RedState, they may dislike the sexuality of straight commercials, but they're not nearly so loud about them as they are with gay commercials.

14. Mad Man L

What he means is that he hates how stupid Christian lobby groups say no to this:
    [​IMG]

Yet ads which get within millimetres of 3rd base nobody gives a shit about. You can almost see sex/sexual connotations in every single ad on TV these days.

15. jargon

Hmm, RedState has a point in that christian group do target both. The difference is :

1) they put more effort, proportionally, into targeting homosexuality in ads compared with the much larger "problem" of overt (straight) sex in straight ads, and (more importantly?)

2) the public actually gives a damn when they make a fuss about homosexuality, whereas they tend to just laugh off criticisms of their mainstram media.

On that note, I don't think our point is that christian groups need to be more self-righteous about straight sex being portrayed in the media. The problem is that same-sex relationships aer still fairly taboo on tv and these guys are perpetuating that. Their stance on straight sex doesn't really weigh in (IMHO).

16. JohnnyBoy

:thumbsup::grin:

17. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

the problem is that we americans still have remnants of puritanism; we think we're actually a lot more virtuous than we really are.

i forget what show it was, but i saw a documentary on NatGeo that compared the teen pregnancy rate in france compared to the south in america. of course, you can guess that it was a lot higher here in the usa. why? because they dole out rubbers to teens without blinking but here, its just a big freaking deal cuz ppl think it will lead to the sex that teens are already having.

so how does this effect us in the lgbt community? the right seems to want to deny that gay ppl exist in american and that, heaven forbid, they have romantic relationships!

18. RedState

They're louder because you are listening harder..which is natural.

My ears perk up every time I hear "Alabama Crimson Tide" on the radio or television...because I'm looking for it.

In other words, I'm more sensitive to it because I'm part of, and belong to, the greatest thing God gave Mankind...the Tide.

Trust me, they've been loud and proud for a long time. My in box gets filled daily with their latest call to action against whatever network that showed a woman in a mini-skirt last.

I'm not saying that there would not be protest from these groups if a stream of gay themed commercials flooded the market..because there obviously would....I'm simply saying they are equal opportunity sticks in the mud...they think sin is sin, regardless if you like tits or cock.

#18 RedState, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012