1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I beg to differ (Rant, but about the LGBT community)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Asyl, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Asyl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Right, so this will be a rant. I'm not demanding you read it, but it's at least here if you feel inclined, and wish to discuss the topic. Despite my possibly getting heated in this post, I shall ensure that I don't get rude if there's a reply that disagrees with me. Civility is pleasant.

First and foremost, I find it quite annoying when the gay agenda is made up of things that should be granted equally. Perhaps this is because I have come to see that "fair" and "equal" and not synonymous. Equal means that all things are given to people without variance. Fair is where things are handled in a way that is appropriate to a given party.
    In the idea of marriage, it seems that most gays (I would not say all) want to have "equal benefits", while the fact of the matter is that gays are indeed less likely to have children. Tax benefits are given to straight couples based on the idea that the couple will have children, and will need the money to support the child (Quick note, I don't think that the marriage system in place in the US is fair right now). Personally, I feel a full reform in this regard should take place. Christians against gay marriage say that they feel that it is wrong because the word "marriage" is a religious thing, and that in this way, the church should be able to reserve the right to refuse marriages to gays, and as the word marriage is still from religion, even when used in the government, then it should apply that marriage there should be banned. It is my personal belief that we should get rid of the term "marriage" from the legal system altogether, as it has such religious connotations, and there really ought to be separation of the Church and State. In it place could remain "civil union", or something more fitting and less cold in its sound. Maybe we just need a new word? I really don't care, there. Just something. This takes care of the church aspect (in theory. If they still argue it, tell them to not worry about it- God says that he will punish the sinners, so that humans don't need to sweat it). In the legal way, taxes would be fair (not equal), as both straight and gay couples would need to register for various tax breaks as they came up. If a straight couple needed the tax breaks due to a plan to have a child, register a year in advance. If the child cannot be conceived, or if they simply failed to follow through and choose to instead abuse the system, then ban them from it for x years. In the same way, an LGBT couple can register to have a child (either by a surrogacy or adoption), and if the same failure to have a child occurred, the same punishment/limitations would be set on them. Other than that, the defaults for straight couples would carry through to gay, and the things that are honestly based on variables can be judged based on the outcome of the variable for each registering couple, or [married] couple.
    On another note, I find it extremely annoying when people assume that you must be a liberal if you are LGBT. I myself and rather conservative, from a financial aspect. There is no logical reason that I can find to put fiscally liberal ideas on the standard agenda. This should be entirely up to the individual without the influence of what they think is the higher power on their social network. I will not go into my monetary beliefs- that would defeat the purpose.
    I see, though, many promiscuous men and women. Both gay and straight. There is a grain truth to many stereotypes, but you are as well aware as I that stereotypes are very rarely 100% true. So, take this into consideration yourself when you see conservatives. If a person can base everyone else of similar condition off of one individual, then I would be horribly racist (I am not. I don't judge until they start speaking to me, and showing me their character). This is only because when I was 6, I had been at my grandmother's apartment, and had stones thrown at me by 3 or 4 of the black boys that lived in the complex. I know, however, that not all people with dark skin are going to throw rocks and asphalt at me.
    Sometimes I also wonder if people get their panties up in a bunch too easily- both the LGBT community, and the opponents thereof. LGBT members sometimes feel the urge to make a huge scene, and come off as melodramatic. Some strongly bigoted Christians will occasionally come up and be horribly rude. Neither party is exactly like the displayed extreme, I've found.
    I'm almost running out of steam, as I fear that this will only bring about strong criticism that has to due with my lack of love for wanted to get married ASAP. Sometimes things take time, though... I also worry that people will take what I say out of context entirely. So, to try to wrap it up at least a little, I'm going to finish with simply stating that people need to just breath deeply, look around, and then look to see just how inviting the middle line might be- see if there are ideas that are out there that neither party has out there yet as they were so focused on being polarised. I'm sure it's just as easy for them to cool their jets as it is for you, which may mean that it's not easy at all, really...

Anyhow, there's my 2 cents. Or whatever it is worth.

...I think this is in the right forum? It seemed to personal to go into the issues section, and it may be of interest. So, it seemed to click.

tl;dr Consider being a Moderate.

2. Mogget

Yes, this is the correct forum for political stuff.

The argument that we should leave marriage to the churches and have universal civil unions is not uncommon, but I strongly disagree with it. Words have power. I may not personally understand the attachment people have to the word "marriage," but that doesn't mean I don't recognize it. And it's a common attachment. If the government were to start calling marriages civil unions, millions of people would feel like their marriage was being yanked out from under them, made invalid. I don't really understand why, but I know that they would.

Furthermore, saying we should start calling marriages civil unions for government purposes has some pretty nasty implications. It basically admits what the (social) conservatives already say, allowing same-sex couples devalues the concept of marriage. In fact, it devalues it so much that we can't even call it marriage anymore. There may be good, valid reasons for wanting to have the government stop calling marriages marriages (though I can't think of any), but making the argument alongside the argument that same-sex couples should be legally recognized is, at best, problematic.

3. query

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    not sure about the other stuff, but i also really find it annoying when people assume im liberal, being a conservative. people act like it's impossible to be both gay and a christian conservative.

4. Asyl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    @Mogget - I also understand that with marriage comes a lot of power, and it's a nearly impossible thing to take to task. I was voicing one of my ideas, though I understand that it will be impossible to complete. The best I can hope for is that people realise the difference between having God's blessing, and having fair legal treatment.

@Query - I'm really glad I'm not the only one out there that's not horribly liberal. (I would say the same as you, but I'm not Christian. I do support following your beliefs, however.)

5. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I respect your opinion even if I don't agree with it. I do think the word marriage should be used because LGBT people should have the same kind of "marriage" as straight people. Using the term civil union makes it seem less of a legal bond. I see civil unions as a different water fountain for gays. Like the different water fountains for blacks and whites.

I plan on getting married and having children someday and I think that all Americans should have the right to be protected under the law in the same way with the same terms. I doubt the word marriage will ever be erased from the legal system. I agree with Mogget.

And yes, not all gays are Liberals. I am but not everyone who is LGBT is.

6. scooby

I beg to differ with your beg to differing.

Where'd that idea come from? Married couples get tax benefits because (it's assumed) they live together and share all expenses. Parents get different tax benefits for having children; it doesn't start from marriage but rather when the 1st kid is born. Case in point: single parents get tax benefits too.

Not to mention that you seem to be implying that straight couples should get better tax benefits BECAUSE they can have children - as someone who's been a physically barren wife in a heterosexual marriage, I take major offense to that.

Nooo, it's because "Adam and Eve" (man and woman as sacred couple) is a religious thing. Marriage existed long before Christianity began. Don't act like it's their rightful territory. Marriage is a legal term, NOT a religious one.

News flash: most pregnancies are unplanned, even (probably especially) in marriage. Even planned pregnancies are usually no more than "let's stop taking the pill and when it happens, it happens". Surrogacy and adoption take YEARS, for good reason - potential parents need to be screened appropriately. You really think you can say "I think I'll go have a baby" and then pop! One year to the date, there it is?

Not to mention babies, and older children, take a LOT of money to raise. You're talking an extra room in the house, schools, food, transportation, health care, and entertainment to a person who outgrows all his clothes and shoes every 6 months and cannot possibly contribute to your household income in any way. A few dollars in tax benefits is NOTHING.

Pardon the guessing, but you sound like someone who's had very little experience in
    - marriage
    - child bearing
    - paying taxes.

So excuse the old fart wandering in to tell you your "moderate" stance reeks of ultra-conservative pretentiousness.

#6 scooby, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  7. Asyl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In this idealistic scenario, there would be only one legal fountain. Marriage would be kept to the religious sector- a non-issue, legally. From the religious aspect, I can (almost) see where Christians would want to keep gay males and females out of marraige. As a religion, there have the right to refuse marriage to a group if they group goes against the religion. It's religious freedom... just because you're a human doesn't mean that everyone agrees with you, obviously, and so one should just accept that this religion doesn't necessarily accept homosexuality, and in the eyes of the Church your marriage will not be the same as that of a straight couple. Legally, though, it would be. It's like a percentage, rather than a flat number. I can see where you are coming from, to some degree.

8. dreamcatcher

^ this. I completely agree with Liam. If we start calling marriage something else in order to allow gay couples to marry, then we're basically reinforcing the fact that our marriages are less than those of a heterosexual couple. And marriage itself is a social contract, not necessarily a religious one. It has been around for thousands of years, way before many of the monotheistic cultures claimed it as its own. Despite what a lot of people think, marriage is not static. It changes with the culture and the society. Therefore, instead of erasing the word completely, we should continue to fight for our right to marry and give marriage a new definition that reflects all its people and the society we live in.

Also I do agree with you that anything to the far right or to the far left can be very frustrating. The world would definitely be a much better place if we could all understand each other's point of views or at least be more moderate in our positions.

9. Asyl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Let me start by asking that you simply calm down just a tad. Things can be open to change, but I'm also looking for the most fair way to solve the problem of discrimination without infringing on religious freedoms, as well as freedoms of expression and all that other good jazz. I /am/ saying that by having a child, tax benefits would be more profitable for the parents- that goes in to being able to fund the child, in theory. Much like welfare increases with childbirth are supposed to help support the child. And it does appear that I failed to write out my full thoughts and exposure on how the tax system for children currently works. Maybe I'll correct it tomorrow, once I'm not nodding off at the keyboard. I do understand the difficulties of adoption to varying degrees (a very close family friend with whom I spend a lot of time has 4 adopted siblings from Ukraine. I had been close to them through the entire ordeal, hearing a lot about it. Especially with the last child, who had difficulty getting into the States after being adopted due to paperwork flaws), but if there is at least evidence that the system will let it through, then it is at that point that the tax benefits can be reviewed for approval, and for how much/how long based on the situation. A lot of this can be altered as needed, but the main point on the childbearing part is merely that there are reasons for differences- fair and equal are not synonymous, as I said.
    Also, it's not my fault if you choose to plan or just let nature take its course in order to get pregnant. This is a personal choice, and it's your responsibility to take care of it, as needed. I'm sure more could be added to facilitate the accommodations for unplanned pregnancy when one plans to keep it.

I would expand on your adam eve statment, but my position can be easily inferred based on my comments after my original post and within the OP.

10. dreamcatcher

Oops I realized I wrote Liam instead of Mogget lol Sorry, old habit :slight_smile:

11. scooby

Sure, accuse me of incivility. Nothing in my argument alluded to anger.

How about instead of insinuating that I misunderstood, or giving lame excuses about how you can't support your argument right now you're too tired, or insisting that you know all about the burden of child rearing because you once heard about a friend you had once who adopted so that makes you an expert in absentia, you answer the questions I set forth in my previous post? I'll type them again if needed.

And there you go with the offensive statements again. Really, asyl, if you are truly following that Oscar Wilde quote you tacked on to your signature, it speaks volumes about either your intelligence or your efforts to be a gentleman.

There! Now we've both been offended. Fairness and equality to all!

12. Asyl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am notvgoing to argue with you the ways that you worded things to be rude in context. I was merely being blunt. It was not insulting, in the way it is intended to be read.

13. starfish

One of my biggest problems with our tax code is that it is used for social manipulation. Want to promote a behavior,, give a tax break food that. Want to discourage a behavior tax it.

In my opinion someone's relationship status is not a valid government interest, so they should not recognize any relationship. Marriage should be a strictly civil concept.

14. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe that it's important for the word marriage to be used for both gay and straight relationships. Calling it something different is demeaning same-sex relationships. I don't see how religious people think it's okay to keep LGBT people out of marriage. They don't have to allow LGBT people to get married in their church (although I think the argument religious people use against gay people is fundamentally flawed) but I don't think LGBT people should be kept away from the word marriage simply because religious people disagree.

I like the term marriage a lot more than civil union personally. Marriage sounds lasting and beautiful. Civil union sounds like a business arrangement.

Marriage isn't about religion. It's about the rights you have if you are in a marriage. Civil unions don't have the same amount of rights. Marriages have more legal rights. Settling for the term civil union to me is like the whole water fountain metaphor, as I said before. "You can get kind-of married and we'll call it a civil union." "Here's a water fountain where the water isn't as good but you can still drink water huh? But it's not called water." I want water (marriage) just like everyone else. With the same benefits and the same name.

15. Artemicion

I think the core problem are the morally corrupt beliefs behind the religion in question that's causing this problem to arise in the first place...

My opinion is that religion has no place in politics when they already have the right to have religious freedom. So they shouldn't shove religious beliefs on to others.

(Not sure if i worded it right...oh whatever)

16. Porphyrogenitus

I think you misunderstand Asyl (with whom I entirely agree on this point, btw). HE's saying that nobody gets a 'marriage' under the law. Legislation relating to family law would not include the word marriage at all. Religions, of course, could bugger off and do whatever the hell they want.

And it's not really as big a deal as everyone is making out. The law is full of terminology that means entirely different things to what it does in plain English. And there wouldn't be word police running around telling people that they mustn't call their union a marriage. And it basically guarentees the religions the freedom to act as they like - Catholics can restrict their marriage to whoever they like, so can Anglicans and Lutherans and Presbyterians and Evangelical types. It basically lets them discriminate as much as they like, so I'm not entirely sure why they'd be against it. Literally the only people who would have to use the terminology would be lawyers.

Which is fine. Because 'marriage' is all about religion. It has been an ecclesiastical matter since the start of every legal system that currently exists in the West. Further, even prior to Christianity, marriage has been infused in whatever religion was popular in the place and time. I challenge anyone to come up with a society that had a marriage tradition involving no religion (I'd also be interested in any examples of same-sex marriage, if you're going to be using the ancient past as a precedent). Certainly, there are none in European history.

More to the point though, we generally don't use ancient history to try and deny how laws came about in our society. And the fact remains that, while marriage is now entirely governed by secular (rather than ecclesiastical) law and courts, we haven't jettisoned the excess baggage that came with it. Including the name, which seems to be the only thing a lot of people care about.

Oh, and they need not be called 'civil unions' at law. Feel free to think up more enticing names.

(Hopefully that was coherent. I've gotta get moving, so no time to proof read or anything :S )

17. Rinamir Mortem

On a side note, I too hate being regarded as a liberal/left wing because of my sexuality. Even when I say I am centrist the odd person still seems confused as to why I would be anything but liberal. But I digress.

The main issue with this argument is the one who started it. Religion. Sadly, while it is nice to dream of a society where heterosexuals and homosexuals can be married in the same context, it is as achievable as Utopia. At least, if one considers that the desired scenario is for people to feel exactly the same about both sides saying they are married.

With religion in place and very much alive and kicking, for a homosexual couple to get married there will always be people who feel anger, even if we change the law to make the term all encompassing of unions for both straight and gay couples. As such, I highly doubt this battle will ever be won in the near future nor will it be won by a simple change of policy. People are not passive individuals who will change their minds once the law has. The reason why the connotations of marriage have survived is because of man and his memory.

While I would logically point out that discouraging religion absolutely would solve our problem, it would not. Marriage will always remain in some section of society as the bond between a man and woman before God/whatever-supreme-being-you-care-to-desire and as homosexuals are in small numbers and therefore the minority it is going to be a near impossible task to turn the majority to our favour. Even if, by some miracle, a homosexual world leader was elected into office in the near future he/she would not be able to miraculously solve the issue.

While we do not have the perfect lot, I would suggest that we take our time and dim down our argument over marriage because the more we demand, the more people are going to react negatively towards it. An analogy would be the petulant child: the more he demands the chocolate bar, the less chance he will ever get it. We should bide our time and move policy and Government in small steps as massive steps always anger and we end up back at square one.

Patience will always be the tool of the homosexual in our battle for equality, we do have millennia of prejudice to work against therefore forcing our way through will not succeed. While it may not happen soon enough in my lifetime that I may enjoy calling me and my partner married, I can only hope to work so that future generations of homosexuals can enjoy the benefits of being equal and not be regarded less because I selfishly demanded from the Government.

18. Curly

I agree ... "fair" and "equal" are not the same sometimes. But why does the term marriage have to change? Why does the term "marriage" have to be associated with Christianity or with any religion. In other countries and even in the states, people who get "married" are not all Christian. Being of a certain faith isn't a requirement for marriage, and neither is the desire or ability to bear children. There is a culture and history behind the concept of marriage. Denying same-sex couples this right to call their relationship a marriage is neither fair nor equal.

I'm not too sure where exactly it is, I think New Hampshire, but wasn't there talk in one of the states as recent as 2011 that they wanted gay marriages to be identified as civil unions AND make civil unions availiable to siblings and family members? I don't know about you, but that sounds like a slap in the face for me.

**** These are just some excerpts from Judge Walker California Prop 8 trial in 2010 ****
    Domestic partnerships lack the social meaning associated with marriage, and marriage is widely regarded as the definitive expression of love and commitment in the United States...

The availability of domestic partnership does not provide gays and lesbians with a status equivalent to marriage because the cultural meaning of marriage and its associated benefits are intentionally withheld from same-sex couples in domestic
    partnerships....

Never has the state inquired into procreative capacity or intent before issuing a marriage license; indeed, a marriage license is more than a license to have procreative sexual intercourse. .... The Supreme Court recognizes that, wholly apart from procreation, choice and privacy play a pivotal role in the marital relationship....

Today, gender is not relevant to the state in determining spouses’ obligations to each
    other and to their dependents. Relative gender composition aside, same-sex couples are situated identically to opposite-sex couples in terms of their ability to perform the rights and obligations of marriage under California law.

Gender no longer forms an essential part of marriage; marriage under law is a union of equals. ....

19. Asyl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    @midwestgirl - Perhaps marriage shouldn't be regarded as a religious thing, on an objected point of view, but I have found that, sometimes, the only way to get what you want is by not getting everything that you had in mind- just the major points.
    To me, marriage is just a word. Power is given with it by people who want it to mean as much as it may to them. Changing the word to nullify tons of arguments on which various parties never give up seems like a rational thing, if it's that word which they are worked up about. Otherwise, you can call them out on their shenanigans and they have no legal footing. (In theory- I am not so naive to think that this will work without a flaw... I just have hope that people will see that they have no logical choice)

...similar statements may go to shfh, I suppose. I have to run for work, so I can't keep writing for now.

20. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

Asyl, the way I understand your argument is that, since both sides of the debate can't agree (or more correctly the LGBT community wants the same rights as everyone else) that we should take the word "marriage" away from both sides. kinda like the parent who takes away the toy from one child when both children want it, correct?

I think you're conflating the religious concept of marriage and the legal entity known as marriage. right wingers (of the non-libertarian bent) want to deny both forms of marriage to gays. The religious concept is of no use in talking about since anyone is free to believe what they wish. The legal concept is the one that is at hand. The gay community isn't arguing for the Catholic Church to recognize gay marriage, they're looking for legal recognition.

speaking legally then, what do you think of this quote:

No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.(emphasis mine)

This is taken from the 14th Amendment and was used as the basis for Loving V. Virginia, the SCOTUS decision that overturned the state's ability to ban interracial marriage.

#20 GoogieHowser, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2012