1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling your crush: good or bad?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bi As A Kite, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Bi As A Kite

Hello all, it's lovely to actually post again here.

As the title implies, is it generally a good thing to tell that person what you think of them? i mean it in the context of unloading the secret from yourself and getting some kind of closure from a non-requited love fiasco.

But other reasons for telling them are open for debate here as well. :smilewave

2. Rinamir Mortem

It depends on the person. If you want to enter into a relationship rather quickly then yes but you run the risk of ruining a potential relationship if you had waited. Personally, I would wait. That way you can properly gauge your potential partner.

3. needshelp

yeah but at the same time, what would be the point though? i think that would be implying that you want to get with them which might or might not lead to a bad thing. hooray if it does lead to a good thing.

you know, looking back at the last crush i had/still kind of have, i don't think i could tell him right to his face or even on something distant like an email or over the phone that i had/still kind of have a crush on him even though i haven't seen him in nearly a year. even now, i don't think i could do it unless him and me were to hang out and he got me into my comfort zone where i feel comfortable saying that to him. that would be as nervewracking as telling my family that i'm gay. hell, he probably knows already that i like him. :thumbsup:

4. BudderMC

I feel like it depends on the preexisting relationship you have with the person. If you're not really close or haven't known each other long, then sure. If it's a close friend or someone you've known for a long time, then I wouldn't.

Declaring your love for someone tends to make things awkward (especially if it's unrequited). Unfortunately, for many people that awkward tension is enough to break up strong relationships. So, if you've got a relationship already; live and let live.

5. Rinamir Mortem

I think I should perhaps take back what I said :grin:

After a fair amount of booze I told my crush what I felt over Facebook. We are now meeting next week :eusa_danc

But still, I cannot help but wonder at the vast risk I put a potential friendship under.

All I can say is, do what you feel is best. I would have said "follow your heart" but that is too cliched...

6. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'm all for telling your crush what you think of them, if you phrase it the right way. Just saying, "I like you. Just wanted to let you know. That's it." can certainly make the friendship awkward, so what I prefer to do is take a more action-oriented approach. Namely, ask them if they date guys, then ask them out if they do (and if they say no, insinuate that you were asking because you would have asked them out if they did). It gets it out in the open that you consider them an eligible bachelor(ette), which is close enough to insinuating that you have feelings for them that it can bring closure to the matter, but it's vague enough that it's way less likely to make things awkward.

I'm speaking form experience on this. Last semester, I met a guy at work whom I found quite attractive, and we get pretty familiar with each other as friends. I liked him enough that I'd get butterflies in my stomach around him, so I decided to do something about it. One night, as my shift was ending and the place was closing, we walked out together, and I asked him if he dates guys. He said no, but getting a straight answer (pun totally intended) was a huge relief, and it lifted my spirits immensely (I walked home that night listening to happy music). Not needing to wonder, not living in uncertainty, felt that good. And things aren't at all awkward between us now; in fact, I find him easier to talk to now than I did before.

Moral of the story; even if the feelings aren't mutual, you've more to gain by acting on your feelings and doing something about them than by siting back and wondering, "What if?"

7. Mimerio

I told my current crush today how I felt, He's gay too but we're still great friends as we are (sort of) Twinks in the making. lol..