1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differences in Coming Out as Kid/Adult

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by phospholipase, Feb 12, 2012.

1. So I've been seeing some themes around EC lately. It concerns the age at which a person comes out to family.

On on end, I've been reading that when kids think about coming out to parents, the FAQs and comments may include the following:
    • Are you serious?
    • It must be just a phase.
    • You'll get over it.

Which leads to me think... do parents think it's funny or perhaps... "cuter" when a child says that he or she might be bisexual or gay? Do a child's words hold less substantial?

But when I read about older persons or adults thinking about coming out, the comments more typically concern the following:
    • Ostracism
    • Losing emotional and financial support.

So I just got to thinking...
    How would you react when a 13 year tells you that he or she is gay? How do you think your parents would react? How might the reactions change if it was a 19 year old instead? 40 year old?

#1 phospholipase, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
  2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I imagine parents not taking it as seriously from a younger kid since they are still developing and maturing. When an adult comes out, they'd probably trust that the person has given it a lot of thought, had more life experiences and should know for sure they are gay.

I know that 13 year olds can know for sure they are gay, but I can see how parents could have a hard time believing it. If they think back to when they were first attracted to the opposite gender, they'll see that it was around the same age, but that's too logical for some parents to consider.

3. im not too sure if i would ever be a 'good' parent lol.
    my sort of take on anything is... not to take it really too seriously....

my mum has the impression everything is a 'phase' until youre around 25.
    thats still the feeling she had up until a few months back (hurrah! (!))

but if my child said that they were gay/bi/whatever else, i wouldnt worry about it and just let them get on with their life, some kids do know and thats fine but some dont and get confused. its fine either way, if they are what they say they are thats fine and if they come out again later on as being something else thats also fine. either way its all fine with me and i dont really mind, aslong as they are happy :grin:

if i came out as an adult i assume my mum would be more accepting and understanding (i wish i did looking back)

4. Just Passing

Clearly, coming out as an adult has a bit more seriousness to it, considering the age adults are at when they come out and they can be more confident in knowing who they're attracted to.

Kids, whilst some will know about their sexual orientation, others won't (I certainly didn't when I was twelve/thirteen) and can just pass as it off as a mistake if they want to (which I did :astonished:).