1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer for a documentary about a Christian camp for "troubled teens"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mogget, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Mogget

Not specifically an ex-gay camp, but they do that as part of the "services."

[YOUTUBE]bOR77tWVxKc[/YOUTUBE]

From the school's website:

2. OhCrap

OhCrap Guest

That is scary shit, and should not even be legal! Reminds me of the stories floating around about places like Tranquility Bay(Google it); I think the point where you think having your own children kidnapped as some strange form of discipline is the point where you need to have your own head examined! I mean, there is a huge difference between simply having some less then knowledgeable opinions about your gay children, or not liking an attitude or a dating choice and being willing to abandon your own children to that kind of a place. Fundamentalism plus selfishness, probably the worst combination ever.

3. Nightmaric

That terrifies me. Completely scary. I feel so bad for those kids.

4. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

how long before the Kool Aid start making the rounds?

5. Fiddledeedee

I am sooo glad that I live in England, (where to my knowledge) things like this don't exist. Otherwise Mum might want me to go to one – whilst she thinks people are born gay, she also believes bisexuality is a choice and a wrong one. It's just awful, what happens in those camps.

6. EvangelinesLost

This is so extremely scary, like i teared up, this should--Not--Be--Legal, "kidnapped for christ" makes me sick :tears:

7. Jim94

I cant believe that people still do that to their children...

8. HantsBen

This is disgusting, I would not want anything to do with my family ever again if this happened.

9. vyvance

Was in a similar type thing when I was younger (13-15). Thankfully it was still in the states where there were at least some regulations, not that they were always followed. I doubt it was as bad as what I'm sure these kids go through, but I can relate on at least some level and feel terrible for them. Shit should be illegal.

10. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would literally murder my parents if they sent me there.

What was it like?

11. vyvance

Abusive. Mentally more often than physically, but both did happen. The whole set up was basically "Believe in our God, or we will punish you until you do." It baffles me how that seems a logical thought process. Maybe equating pain and misery with not believing or something? If that is it, it doesn't work. Not a single one of the other kids believed in God by the time they left. They just learned how to go through the motions well enough to avoid as much punishment as possible.