1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parkour.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LdSlnce, Feb 14, 2012.

1. LdSlnce

LdSlnce Guest

Ok...so I didn't know where else to put this.

Anyways! Just curious if anyone knows some good resources on learning the basics of parkour. (I'm still in the conditioning stage!). No, I do not plan on attending classes like many resources suggest because of money and other things. So self-learning is the way to go!

This makes me feel rather silly now, but I'm curious about parkour and the like because it just seems interesting to learn and know about. That and I have a friend who has me a bit jealous because he does it :grin:

2. Aya McCabre

My hip problems killed my attempts to learn parkour fairly early on, so I can't point to many resources, but from a general fitness point of view you probably have a lot of work to do. My background is in stage combat and roller derby, so I would definitely recommend learning how to fall since it's somewhat inevitable when you're learning. (Disclaimer: learning to fall by yourself is NOT a safe activity. Find a teacher if you can, use a suitable surface, wear pads if you're moving at speed (or just if you don't want too many bruises) and always have someone else around if you're doing something that could go wrong. Never assume you're going to get it right first time, even if it looks very simple. Accidents happen.)
    Aside from that you're going to need core strength and endurance, so if you're serious about it you can work on those while you try to find someone who can teach you more cheaply, or save money for classes. You can probably teach yourself simple things, but some of the things they do are dangerous if you do them wrong, so at the very least you need people with you if you're going to figure them out by yourself. Asking your friend to show you how to do things properly is probably the cheapest way to learn safely.

3. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not tag along with your friend?

My little cousin does it with his friends. As far as I know they have had no training.