1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If your life were a classic novel...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Christiaan, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

If my life were a classic novel, it would be White Fang, by Jack London, beginning to end. It's practically my biography. The novel tells the life of a wolf cub who was captured by Indians and made a servant of Man. The Indians have a harsh and impersonal sense of justice, but it is justice, which is good enough for White Fang. Except... And the novel gets more intense and tragic from there, but to say more would ruin the story, which has a happy ending I identify with now as deeply as I identify with the tragedy. Suffice it to say, I identify closely with this novel.

But I know everyone must have a different kind of story, so what's your story? What classic or well-known novel do you think would tell people the most about yourself or your life history? I've read a lot of books in my lifetime, so this is really a great way for me to get to know people.

#1 Christiaan, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Frankenstein, maybe. Offering friendship, only to be met with ridicule and abuse just for looking different. Of course, the Creature himself identifies with Satan from Paradise Lost, but I haven't gotten around to reading that.

3. IanGallagher

Sophocles' 'Oedipus Rex' - I know, I'm sick, sue me lol.

4. theboyintheback

Not a classic, or even well known - but I can identify with the story of Yozerf Jonaglir the Wolfkin trilogy.

5. gleek

A Tale of Two Cities. Not because of all the killing, but because I would die for my love, even if it meant they rode off into the sunset with a man I hated. Just so they would be happy... :slight_smile:

6. silkfrog1292

The Fall of the Pagoda by Eileen Chang would be a good portrayal of my childhood. The emotional distance from my parents, my highly insulated childhood and my relationship with my sister mirrors the protagonist's.

Another classic would be Maurice by EM Forster, his portrayals of a boy growing up knowing he is somehow different spoke to me deeply.