1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid Winter Vacation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jordash, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Jordash

Hey guys, I was just wondering if any of your schools do mid winter vaction? Mine does so we get today and the rest of the week off.
    If yours does, got any interesting plans? :slight_smile:

2. steel03

We run on a 4-1-4 schedule, so we have fall semester from late August through early December, spring semester from February through May, and January Term during January. So we get back from winter break at the beginning of January and take one class for a couple hours a day for about 3.5 weeks, and then we get the end of the month off (which we call J-Break). I always have choir tour during J-Break, so I was in Colorado this year.

3. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    High School in my country has Fall vacation one week in October, then two weeks Christmas vacation in December, then "Spring" break one week February (guess that would be mid-winter) and a similar one in April or May.

I'm in college, though, we only get two weeks of Christmas vacation! That's it! :frowning2:

4. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Our mid-winter break is technically our spring break since once it ends we have less than two months of class left.
    It goes from Feb. 27th to March 3rd, so it's not much of a "Spring" break, but it's still worth it. :grin:

5. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, it seems like they would just call it spring break, but they call it mid-winter break. Whatever it is I'm happy. When this week is over it starts. :icon_bigg

6. Jordash

My school only gives us 1 week for Christmas break... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

we get mon-wed off this week and that's it lol

8. FJ Cruiser

All of these schedules seem so strange to me haha. All throughout primary and secondary school, I had two weeks for Christmas and New Year's, and one week in mid-March, along with a few three day weekends. In university, I have a two day break for Thanksgiving, a five week break in winter, and a one week break in mid-March, no three day weekends ever.

This year for Spring Break, I'm going to ski in New Mexico with a couple friends for the first half, then going to the South by Southwest Music Festival for the second half.

9. steel03

^So you don't get Labor Day, President's Day, MLK Day, etc off either? I always hate Labor Day when all my other college friends are on Facebook posting about how they don't have class. The only 3-day weekend we get is at the end of the year for the campus-wide Research Symposium, which is a big event by itself.
    But we do get three days off for Thanksgiving, Easter, and Fall Break (end of October).

10. BudderMC

We're actually on our Reading Week this week, which seems early to me, but I guess it's evenly spaced... about half the term before, then the break, then half the term after, then exams.

Nothing exciting planned though, just work and a staff meeting, then lazying around for a couple days. And a couple of formal reports to start working on :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Cascade

I'm on Reading Week as well, though luckily all my midterms are over and I have no homework so more like February Break!

Going on a ski trip tomorrow with my friend's family, should be interesting.

12. FJ Cruiser

I forgot about Labor Day. That's the only three-day weekend the whole year. Our spring semester begins the day after MLK Jr. Day, so that doesn't really count. No breaks on Good Friday, and I've never even heard of Fall Break.