1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marriage?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BudderMC, Feb 21, 2012.

1. BudderMC

So, I didn't see a thread (recently at least) about this, but what do you guys think of marriage (gay, straight, or otherwise)?

I gotta say I'm not really in support of marriage, though I'm not really against it either. I see why people want to get married, but in my opinion, I don't see the purpose of legally committing yourself to one person just well... for the sake of 'commitment'. Of course there are endless reasons TO get married, just none of them are real motivators for me. That might change if I ever get into a long term relationship :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

...discuss? I'm curious to hear what people have to think of this.

2. IanGallagher

I think EVERYONE deserves the right to get married. In the declaration it clearly states that all men are created equal and I think it's a crime that gay guys still have to fight for this. That anyone would be penalized for being in a minority faction at all basically.

I lean more straight, I'll probably marry a chick. So it doesn't really impact me. But, it does impact how I see things and this country. I'm behind America's Founding Fathers. If you want blood, you got it. They believed in always fighting for equality. That's what America is supposed to be about.

3. BudderMC

^ yeah, defs agreed, everyone should be allowed to marry if they so choose.

To amend my first question: if able, do you guys want to get married? Why or why not? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. IanGallagher

I'll be the cliched "straight" guy: wife, family, picket fence, backyard barbecue parties.

The good ol' American dream lol.

But, seriously - it offers a life long commitment and partnership.

I'd want an open marriage since I'm a bi dude and that would rock.

But, just the notion of it - I think it's "groomed" into us. I seriously want a family though. A little junior me lol - that would rock!

You ask lots of guys? They'll tell you marriage someday, we're all looking forward to having kids. Kinda a hidden secret we don't tell girls about. You'd be amazed how much I heard other guys openly talking about wanting to be Dads while in a private all-guys school. It's kind of the greatest calling a guy can have (or some of us think so).

5. When I proposed to my now husband, I did so to say, "i see you, you are wonderful, and if your whole life time went by and no one really showed this to you, it'd would be devastatingly untrue and unfair."

We've been married for 2.5 years. I would do it again, nothing held back, right now.

6. dreamcatcher

I definitely would want to get married. As to why, well for the regular old reasons other people want to get married :slight_smile: I like what marriage represents, a commitment to another person saying that you're gonna be there through all the good and the bad. Obviously, marriage doesn't magically do that, it depends on the people, but I like the tradition to it. It represents the love that you have for one another and that you're willing to share that life and love with the other person, flaws and all. You can do this without marriage but when you have a wedding and that marriage license, it's like your proclaiming to the world that the other person is solely yours and it just has such a nice feel to it :slight_smile:

Ok clearly, I watch way too many romance movies lol

7. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

I agree wholly with marriage, and I agree wholly with traditional marriage. What I disagree with is, when the gay people say, "what are we supposed to do," many OTHER people who think traditional marriage is really groovy say, "umm, maybe drop dead, and go to Hell?"

We'll have marriage rights when straight parents start caring about who their gay children choose to spend their life with. We'll have marriage rights when a father asks his gay son, "do you think he will treat you right?" We'll have marriage rights when I see a straight grandfather bouncing his lesbian daughter's in vitro child on his knee and loving it as his own.

Screw these court cases. Screw these bills and amendments and overturning these amendments. No, nevermind. It's not that it isn't important to have the legal fabric of marriage. That's important in its own way. It's just...that's not going to be some magic bullet. Society has to change its whole poetry for things to be really set right.

8. BudderMC

At risk of sounding like a major pessimist, what about divorce? I mean, I'd love to think that my relationship would last forever (and be a good one at that), but people change, and shit happens, etc. etc. The way I look at it is why bind myself like that and leave myself with less options than I had otherwise?

[/devil's advocate]

9. Shevanel

Then you divorce? I don't see a problem with this.

10. BudderMC

Iunno, it depends on the person I guess (along with a whole slew of other things), but for some the ramifications of a divorce might be much worse than others.

11. TriCube

The whole realistic idea of me possibly being gay is kind of new to me. I've never even considered marrying a dude. Marriage seems so far away for me anyways, so right now in my life, there's more cons than pros to being married. I've always had it in my mind that I'd be able to switch off my gay thoughts and end up marrying a girl when I wanted to. As I see this becoming more and more unrealistic, I haven't really thought about marriage. I've never been in a relationship, so maybe it's just me being paranoid about spending the rest of my life with one individual, man or woman.

12. needshelp

well, marriage. honestly, i don't care about it. i think it has to do with looking at how messed up my parents' marriage is. they really are not meant to be together but yet they've been married for the past 26 years and are still together. they are NOT happy at all and them being together has done more harm than good to my brother and me as well. if i ever decide to get married, i want everything to be WAY better than my parents' marriage and relationship. i do not want to give my husband hell and make his life miserable. i also don't want to be the one carrying the whole relationship where i have to pay all the bills, handle all the responsibility where my husband sits back, does nothing except their job and accuses me of cheating on them when i'm pretty much saving their ass.

#12 needshelp, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  13. TheAMan

I'm bisexual but my views of marriage stems from my strong Christian faith. That means I define marriage between a man and a woman. I love boys, actually more than I love girls. But at the end of the day, I know for sure that I will marry a woman, have kids, and start a family.

14. Merlot

The general consensus on marriage seems to be that it sucks.

15. Artemicion

I would get married. I don't see the point of not getting married after you find someone you love and care for with all your heart. Of course that's simplifying things.

Although you can argue that in marriage you're in risk of divorce and various other crap that can happen. But how do you even know that will happen? What factor do you base it on that you would choose not to marriage? Fear? Freedom? etc.

Personally, I think this is just part of life. Have anyone considered what you're going to end up with 60, 70, 80 years down the road?

16. Gallatin

I'd like to get married someday. As far as divorce goes, it's an inherent risk that comes along with getting married. If it doesn't work, then you get divorced. But I'd rather get married, not have it work, and divorce, than have a relationship with less commitment (legal or otherwise) that I can get out of easier if it goes sour.

#16 Gallatin, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  17. Starshine16

No marriage- At least not for me.

Why, you ask?

Because I have seen too many marriages in my family fall asap. My mom & grandma, two women I am very close to cannot get it right. Mom's on her 2nd divorce & grandma is on her 3rd marriage. The only people that seem to have a decent marriage is my mom's cousin & his wife and my bio aunt and her husband. No one else on either side of my family can get it right.

And I am terrified that I will follow these same patterns.

That's why it's easier to say that I don't believe in marriage. Because I haven't had any good marriage models to look up to.

18. Rob999

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Marriage isn't really significant to me, as I'm not religious, nor do I care about tradition at all. I would personally be happy having the same rights etc and not being married, but I'm all for any 2 people (or more, if they want that, I really don't mind) being able to get married regardless of most things about the couple, eg sex, religion, race.

So I support marriage equality, but possibly won't use it myself.

19. Rob999

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Actually, on second thought, I probably would want to get married someday. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone